How to Play Brawl Like a Man is a video series on YouTube by Dairun Cates, which is an instructional series about how to Take a Third Option in the casual vs. hardcore debate, and play like a man. This can be achieved by using the twelve rules of the Third Way.
- 1. Finish with a bang
- 2. Manliness before victory
- 3. Repeat, don't spam
- 4. Melee over range
- 5. Never attack during a taunt (except with Sonic. Always attack during those.)
- 6. Fight your own battles
- 7. No Johns
- 8. Don't take unfair advantages
- 9. Don't Touch the Hog
- 10. Violations Mean Death
- 11. Find your own path
- 12. No Marth
Not only is it informative, but it is also quite entertaining and has a regular cast of characters and a large storyline.
- The Apprentice: An Author Avatar and maker of the series. He is played by Toon Link.
- The Muscle Sage: A Small Name, Big Ego who constantly talks about how manly and badass he is, and runs the Spin-Off How to Play Subspace Emissary Like a Badass. He is played by Bowser.
- Olimar: He starred in the first player specific episode, learned to abandon his Pikmin and play manly. He is a singer.
- Peach: Is horrific.
- Marth: A Butt-Monkey who is on the bottom of the man tier for no reason.
- The Brawn Sage: A calm but manly fighter played by Donkey Kong.
- Dedede: a Bad Santa. A VERY Bad Santa.
- Ness/"Billy": A Woobie who is tortured by Dedede Clause and Snake.
- TiarasRCool: Runs How To Play Brawl Like a Marth. Is VERY MUCH hinted to be Marth himself.
It can be watched here.
This series provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Marth is in to interior decorating. He often claims he is not gay.
- Angrish: When trying to prove Olimar can be played without Pikmin.
- April Fools' Day: See above. Complete with Naka Teleeli as a guest voice!
- British Accents: Marth has one.
- Butt-Monkey: Marth.
- Canon Discontinuity: Played with. Episode 5, Mega Marth, is a little fuzzy regarding its canoncy. The characters lampshade this.
- Curse Cut Short: In the beginning of the second episode, the creator's reaction to it's popularity. Used again in episode 3 with Olimar's reaction to the apprentice's claim he was holding back for dramatic effect.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Because Ness hit the Apprentice with a yo-yo, he sent Dedede Clause after him.
- Eldritch Abomination: Revealed in Let's Play Subspace Emissary Like a Badass that Peach is one.
- Hidden Depths: The Muscle Sage, being portrayed previously as sort of lacking in the grey matter department in his LPs, has been shown to have read, and loves, The Lottery of Babylon (and read through it rather fluently for the most part).
- Hostile Show Takeover: Done by the Muscle Sage, as well as recently by Captain Pegnose.
- Musical Episode: You Had A Bad Brawl.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: To illustrate how evil she is, Peach is edited to be given red eyes at one point in Let's Play Subspace Emissary Like A Badass. And Cute Little Fangs.
- Rule of Cool: It seems that Manliness pretty much runs on this.
- Samus Is a Girl: TiarasRCool. At least her voice makes her sound like it in Inside HtPBLaM.
- Schedule Slip: The show suffers from it A LOT. That's why a lot of people believed that the show was going to be cancelled during April Fools.
- Shout-Out: Metaknight provides a lot of these.
- Stylistic Suck: Marth's Epic Journey. Also, Let's Play Subspace Emissary Like A Badass has The Muscle Sage play VERY badly occasionally.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: BIRD MISSILES!
- This Loser Is You: This message is said with many Xbox achievements given to the Apprentice while trying to play Olimar solo. On the Wii.