Cosmoteer is a starship design and simulation game created by Walt Destler. Based on an idea for a game he had as a kid, he attempted to create a pen and paper version several times before realizing it was too complex, and decided to instead turn it into a video game.
In the game, you can either play as a bounty hunter, commanding as many ships as you can afford (starting out with one, buying more using credits earned in-game) while you hunt down ships with bounties placed on them in Bounty Hunter mode, or you play as a ship designer with no limits as to how you design your ships in Creative mode.
The game can be downloaded here, free of charge.
This game contains examples of the following tropes:
- More Dakka: Since you can't upgrade individual weapons systems in the gamenote , this is the best way to increase your firepower if you can't afford/don't want to buy another ship - and as noted above, the only limits to this are your imaginationnote .
- No Plot? No Problem!: There isn't really a story to the game unless you create one; it's just hunting down bounties of various ships. It's still very fun.
- Nonstandard Game Over: In a sense - there's no Game Over screen at the momentnote , but it is possible to technically get a Game Over if all ships you control are destroyed, you don't have enough funds to buy a new one, and you're far in debt.
- Sandbox Mode: Creative mode.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Ion Cannon is a downplayed example - although it functions like one, it trades damage in return for no charge time, meaning that instead of having something akin to what you'd see on the Death Star, you have a beam that will keep chipping away.
- You Require More Vespene Gas: There are two resources in the game, credits and FTL fuel.