Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is a 1993 platformer by Tengen for the Sega Genesis. You play as the titular possum, fighting against Dr. Machino and his robot army as they despoil the environment. This is not all he fights against; in addition to robots and traps, he must struggle with slippery controls, clipping issues, slowdown, poor hit detection, sloppy level design, and voice samples that insist on reminding the player that Awesome Possum has 'tude.
Compare to Konami's Rocket Knight Adventures series, which was another video game with a mascot opossum for the Sega Genesis, coincidentally released the same year as Awesome Possum (but predating it by two months) and held in much better esteem.
This work contains examples of:
- Badbutt: As with most Mascot with Attitude era protagonists.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Awesome.
- Bee Afraid: You'll face more than one giant, deformed bee over the course of the game.
- Big "NO!": Awesome's Death Cry Echo, except when he loses his final life.
- Bleak Level/Down in the Dumps: "Dr. Machino's Domain" and "The Fortress of Garbage" an actual landfill complete with the additional dark skies, menacing mechas and jefferies tubes, a likely sort that makes the place very reminiscent of a certain final zone.
- Boss Rush: Awesome Possum refaces all the past bosses in the last round before Dr. Machino.
- Captain Ersatz: Awesome and Dr. Machino are shameless ripoffs of Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Robotnik. Awesome's main attack is outright stolen from Sonic's own spin attack.
- Comic-Book Adaptation: The manual came with a short comic retelling the events in the game.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin/Spoiler Title: It tells exactly what Awesome Possum will do to Dr. Machino when he defeats him.
- Excuse Plot: Dr. Machino is polluting the environment! Go through levels and stop him!
- Foregone Conclusion: What did you expect?
- Goomba Stomp: Despite having a spin-attack like Sonic, this is Awesome's method of attack.
- Green Aesop: Not just the storyline, either. Every level ends with a quiz about the environment.
- Informed Species: Possums are grey, not brown, and they certainly don't have furry striped tails.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: Running out of lives treats you to Awesome's grave with the environment rotting around it.
- Jungle Japes: The first level takes place in the Amazon Rainforest, where deforestation is taking place.
- Literal Ass-Kicking: As part of the ending, while a chorus sings the game's title, just like it does when the game starts up.
- Mascot with Attitude: Awesome Possum plays this as straight as an arrow, from his appearance, attitude, and his own name.
- Mecha-Mooks: Dr. Machino's robotic minions.
- Polluted Wasteland: What Dr. Machino is turning the world into.
- Pop Quiz: Every round ends with a bonus question about the environment, which will reward the player with bonus points if answered correctly.
- Power Up Letdown: The speed boost. Considering how touchy the controls are, all the speed boost does is send Awesome Possum careening into either a bottomless pit or an enemy.
- Power-Up Mount: Assorted animals, such as the Rhino, which is prominently featured on the game cover.
- Rushmore Refacement: You celebrate your victory by desecrating more of the environment.
- Show, Don't Tell: Awesome Possum reaffirming that he's awesome, so cool; etc., when more respectable mascots like Sonic or Sparkster never needed to.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The third level takes place on the oil rigs of Antarctica.