Hi hi hihihi hihihiAvoid the Noid
is a Platform Game
for the Commodore 64
and IMC PC
, created to advertise Domino's Pizza. You start at the bottom of a 30-story building, and have to deliver a pizza at the top within half an hour. The building is infested with noids, who will use jump kicks, exploding telephones, water balloons and bazookas
to destroy your pizza.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Interface Spoiler: You know the bottom floor of each screen doesn't have trapdoors, because that would cause you to fall off-screen.
- It's All Upstairs from Here: You have to travel to the top to deliver the pizza.
- Malevolent Architecture: For some reason the whole building is full of trap doors.
- Mascot with Attitude: The Noid himself. He's got a lot of attitude to be doing this much to stop you.
- Me's a Crowd: For unexplained reasons, there is an entire army of copies of the Noid.
- Product Placement: The whole game is this for Domino's.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: Each of the 12 screens has a different tune, including such classics as "Ride of the Valkyries" and "The William Tell Overture".
- Smart Bomb: You get a handful of "Noid avoiders" that clear the screen of Noids.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: How do you destroy a pizza? Of course, you take out a bazooka.
- 30 Minutes, or It's Free!: As an advertisement for Domino's pizza, the game's time limit is 30 minutes (with a simple game over if you miss). However, the time is started at the building itself rather than having to drive to the location. Also in case of the Commodore 64 version, you're treated to a screen saying you're good enough to be a Domino's delivery person.
- Video-Game Lives: Five pizzas. If they all get crushed, exploded or soaked, it's game over time.
- White Gloves Just like in the commercials, The Noid has these.