Index | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24
Directed by Kim Manners
Mulder: So the Golem is an imperfect creation.
Kenneth: Oh, kind of a monster, really. Unable to speak or feel anything but the most primitive of emotions. It runs amok.
Mulder suspects that a golem, a monster described in Jewish folklore, may be responsible for the deaths of several people who murdered a Jewish man.
- Ambiguously Jewish: The anti-Semitic shop-owner suggests that Mulder is Jewish.
- Asshole Victims: The teenagers who murdered Isaac, and the man that incited them to it.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ariel is able to say goodbye to Isaac... before she wipes off the aleph that ends the golem's existence.
- Bookends: The episode opens with the קדיש אחר הקבורה (mourner's Kaddish) at Isaac's funeral and ends with Ariel repeating it to her golem.
- Came Back Wrong: The murderous golem that Isaac has become.
- Golem: Isaac.
- Immune to Bullets: The golem, of course.
- Not So Different: The neo-Nazi most responsible for Isaac's murder ends up covered in graveyard mud, behaving very much like a soulless automaton.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The golem.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Brunjes, the cloistered Neo-Nazi shop owner, who distributes white supremacist material from the back of his store. His younger associates are drinking the kool aid as well. The original outline for the episode involved one too, a Louis Farrakhan-esque villain, but Fox worried The X-Files' popularity among black viewers would suffer from this and so had the script rewritten.
- Resurrected Romance: Isaac and Ariel.
- Shout-Out: Ariel mentions how her family hails from Prague, the city famous for the Golem legend.
- Widowed at the Wedding: Isaac and Ariel were already married, but he was killed before the wedding at the synagogue, so the trope somehow fits.
- With This Ring: A beautiful ceremonial ring used for Jewish wedding is a part of the backstory. It's shaped like a huge castle with exquisite detail.
Be-alma di-vra chi-r'utei
Be-hayechon u-v-yomechon u-v-hayei de-chol beit Israel, Ba-agala u-vi-zman kariv ve-imru amen. Translation