When Lars pawns off all his work on Sadie, Steven helps out by working a shift at the Big Donut.
- Absentee Actor: Pearl and Garnet do not appear in this episode.
- Ambiguous Syntax: When Steven says "What is it?", asking what's on the VHS, Sadie thinks he's asking what a VHS is.
- Aspect Ratio Switch: The Big Donut instructional video VHS is in a 4:3 ratio.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: Amethyst spices Steven's fries with fire salts that make him dive onto a soda fountain for a drink. When Steven and Sadie use them for a prank on Lars, however, they go overboard and Lars starts breathing fire.
- Break the Cutie: Sadie is in tears upon finding out Lars lied to her.
- Bystander Syndrome: As Lars is breathing fire, almost chokes to death, and then starts going after Steven, Amethyst just stands there eating fries and watching the chaos ensue. Steven even calls her out on it at the end of the episode, saying that she was of no help this entire episode. Amethyst doesn't care either way.
- Chekhov's Lecture: The instructional video Steven watches tells you what to do if someone chokes on a donut and where the fire extinguisher is.
- Continuity Nod: In the break room of the Big Donut, there's a Purple Puma and Tiger Millionaire poster that Steven designed in "Tiger Millionaire".
- Did They or Didn't They?: It's hinted Sadie and Lars did more than play a game.Sadie: He let me be his Player Two, and we spent the whole night together.
Steven: Must have been one great video game.
Sadie: (Suddenly nervous looking) Yeah, it was.
- Deadly Prank: The Fire Salt donut causes Lars to set a bunch of things on fire and could have caused him to suffocate.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Right after spilling the soda, Steven has trouble talking because his tongue is burnt from Fire Salt.Steven: Sowwy, Laas.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Too much Fire Salt makes Lars breathe fire uncontrollably. This isn't just a visual representation, he actually sets fire to the Big Donut and some of the town before Steven finally gets it out of him with the Heimlich maneuver.
- Innocently Insensitive: Steven accidentally offends Mr. Smiley by saying he used to be famous.Steven: Wow, I cant believe you used to be a real actor/R&B singer!
Mr. Smiley: Used to be? Kids these days, they dont know anything...
(Mr. Smiley exits the Big Donut)
Sadie: Wow, I'm impressed. Last time someone mentioned that song we couldn't get Mr. Smiley to go home.
- Instructional Film: Big Donut has an incredibly old-looking instructional VHS for their employees with singing done by Mr. Smiley.
- Iris Out: Over Amethyst once Steven points out she was no help.
- Kick the Dog: Lars fakes an injury to get out of work, then laughs about it when playing with his friends at home.
- Lame Pun Reaction:Sadie: Sometimes I sleep on the napkins when I get tired.
Steven: Is that why they're called nap-kins?
Sadie: (straight-faced) Not really, no. Good joke, though!
- Love You and Everybody:Steven: I know that we both love Lars...
(Sadie almost does a Spit Take with her coffee)
Sadie: After all I did for you, you lied to me so you could sneak off with some other girl?
Steven: And other boys!
- Noodle Incident: The reason the Big Donut orders donuts from a bake station is because of "The Incident" that resulted in a taped off corner of the room where the walls are burnt black, with the exception of a human silhouette.
- Pass the Popcorn: As Lars runs in panic with his mouth on fire from the fries spiced with fire salts, Amethyst sits back and eats fries as she watches the chaos unfurl.
- Person as Verb: It's implied Steven has caused so many messes in the Big Donut that Lars and Sadie have started calling them "Stevens".
- Persona Non Grata: Lars is banned from the nearest video game store, so Sadie waited in line for hours to buy it for him.
- Pet the Dog: When he realizes how much he actually hurt Sadie, Lars asks to help clean up the fires with her.
- Revenge Is a Dish Best Served: Sadie tries to get back at Lars for ditching work and hurting her feelings by offering him a donut laced with fire salt.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: Sadie is initially hesitant to prank Lars to get revenge.Sadie: He did really hurt my feelings... a little. But what kind of person does that make you, if you try to hurt him back?
Steven: A... hero?
- Sarcasm-Blind: Sadie jokingly says she should fire Lars and hire Steven full time. Steven thinks she's serious until she corrects him.
- Ship Tease: Sadie is visibly crushed when she sees not only did Lars lie about an injury to get off of work but is hanging out with Jenny of the cool kids. Especially when she talked to Steven earlier about standing in line for seven hours to get a video game for him then spending the entire night with him in his room and asking him later if that meant nothing to him.
- Tranquil Fury: When Sadie gives Lars the fiery hot donut, she stays calm, but every word she says is dripping with anger.
- What Are Records?: Sadie assumes Steven didn't know what a VHS was by calling it a "DVD shaped liked a box".
- Woman Scorned: Sadie wants revenge on Lars upon finding out he lied to her about being injured and was hanging out with another girl.