- Sully Erna: lead vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboards, drums, percussion, harmonica (1995-present)
- Tony Rombola: lead guitar, backing vocals (1997-present)
- Robbie Merrill: bass, (1995-present)
- Shannon Larkin: drums, percussion (2002-present)
Erna was a drummer since the age of 3, and wanted to form a new band in which he would sing rather than play drums, resulting in this band. The name is partly inspired by Alice in Chains' song "God Smack", as well as an In-Joke about someone with a cold sore on his lip. After independently releasing an album and becoming a live favorite, the band signed to Republic/Universal and released their professionally-produced Self-Titled Album (a remastered and restructured version of their debut).
Many metalheads hate them, often calling them out as Alice in Chains ripoffs, but many will contradict this statement. It's hard not to hear that they sound like them, but they have enough elements of their own to create their own radio-friendly style of metal.
In February 2014, Godsmack began writing for their long-awaited sixth album. It came out in August of that year, and is called 1000hp.
- 1998: Godsmack
- 2000: Awake
- 2003: Faceless
- 2006: IV
- 2010: The Oracle
- 2014: 1000hp
- 2018: When Legends Rise
I Trope Alone:
- Beautiful Dreamer: "Under Your Scars."Wish you were here right beside me
So I could watch you sleep
Hold your body closer, breathe you deep
- Cover Version:
- How We Got Here: "1000hp" is about the transition from Godsmack's origins to their current lifestyle.
- Take That!:
- Cryin' Like a Bitch is directed at Nikki Sixx, after Cruefest II.
- Straight Out of Line is a song directed at old friends who sneer at the band's singer, Sully Erna, across a crowded room because of his fame... a brilliant Take That! to those acquainted with the band who make fun of him for its popularity. These links say it all.
- The Faceless: Their album cover for Faceless.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Around a 7. They occasionally have softer music, which is in the 4 range.
- Nu Metal: Applying to their older material, especially Awake and Faceless.
- Post-Grunge: One of the heaviest examples.
- Soprano and Gravel: Sully alternates between a melodic baritone and a gruff rasp.
- Bad Ass Biker: I Stand Alone music video the band ride a motorcycle in the opening scene.
- Fake Crossover: I Stand Alone Mathayus and The Sorceress from The Scorpion King both appear in the music video.
- Hollywood Voodoo: 'Voodoo''
- Sully Erna is actually a Wiccan and what looks like a Wiccan ritual is performed in the video.