I know you can't control yourself any longer
Feel the rhythm of the music getting stronger
Don't you fight it 'til you tried it, do that conga beat"
Gloria Estefan (born Gloria María Milagrosa Fajardo García on September 1, 1957) is a Cuban-born American singer, songwriter and entrepreneur. She has sold over 100 million records worldwide and is Latin music's most successful crossover performer. She is best known for her song "Conga."
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"Tropes get in the way":
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Bad Boys," of course.
- American Football: She and her husband Emilio became in June 2009 the first Hispanics to buy a minority ownership stake in an National Football League team, namely, the Miami Dolphins.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From the liner notes for Let It Loose:
- Christmas Songs: 1993's Christmas Through Your Eyes
- Cover Album: 1994's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me and 2013's The Standards.
- Dance Sensation: "Conga," of course.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Nearly left paralyzed by a bus crash in 1990.
- Grasp the Sun: "Reach," her song for the 1996 Olympic Games.
- Greatest Hits Album: Several. Her first was 1990's all-Spanish Exitos De Gloria Estefan. Her first in English was 1992's Greatest Hits.
- "I Want" Song: "I Want You So Bad"
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: "Anything for You" defines the trope in ballad form and is a borderline Tear Jerker.
- Jukebox Musical: On Your Feet opened on Broadway in 2015.
- Miami: Well, yes. It was in her band's name, after all.
- Not That Kind of Doctor: "Dr. Beat"
- As a Real Life example: She has honorary Doctorates in Music from Berklee College of Music and the University of Miami.
- Omniglot: Speaks Spanish, English and French. Has claimed that while she was working as a translator at Miami International Airport, the CIA once approached her about making her a spy.
- Record Producer: Emilio and the Jerks.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: Appeared on the 1998 Elmopalooza special.
- Silly Love Songs: MANY. "Words Get in the Way," "I Can't Stay Away From You," "1-2-3," etc.
- Song Style Shift: "Oye Mi Canto" abruptly changes from AOR to a breezy Latin number halfway through.
- Spotlight-Stealing Title: The group started as Miami Sound Machine. Then it became Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine. Finally, the band's name disappeared altogether.