The Truth (French title: La Vérité) is a 1960 French courtroom drama film directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot and starring Brigitte Bardot.
Bardot plays Dominique Marceau, whos being tried for murdering an ex-lover. Various testimonies reveal her as an irresponsible young woman who moves to Paris with her sister Annie, a promising, serious music student. Dominique starts seeing Annies colleague Gilbert, an aspiring maestro, and things go downhill from there.
- Bungled Suicide: Dominique has quite a history of attempting to kill herself and failing due to someone's timely intervention, leading the prosecution to accuse her of doing it just to get attention. The last time she attempts it, it doesn't fail.
- Chekhov's Gun: At the start of the movie, Dominique sees herself in a mirror in prison. At the end, she shatters that mirror and uses a shard to kill herself (successfully this time).
- Conversation Cut: The movie is fond of this. Quite a number of conversations between Dominique and Gilbert involve one asking a question, the scene changing, and the other one answering and the conversation keeps going.
- Downer Ending: Dominique kills herself in prison. The prosecution finds no satisfaction in that.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Dominique and Annie. The former is a hedonist who dropped out of school and has no long-term plans, while Annie is seriously working on her music career.
- Foregone Conclusion: Dominique is being tried for murdering Gilbert, so you already know the flashback sequences will end with him dying.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Dominique and her sister dont get along at all.
- Goodbye, Cruel World!: Before killing herself for real, Dominique writes a suicide letter, which is read in court.
- Ladykiller in Love: Inverted. Gilbert is supposedly the only man the promiscuous Dominique has ever loved.
- Laughing Mad: Dominique laughs in insanity immediately after killing Gilbert.
- Properly Paranoid: Gilberts friend is convinced that Dominique will try something against him after hearing shes bought a gun. Gilbert dismisses the thought, but as it turns out, his friend was right.
- Spoiled Brat: Dominique is stated to have been pampered as a child. As a result, shes pretty childish and threatens to commit suicide every time she doesnt get her way.