FleshEater: Revenge of the Living Dead, or known more simply as just FleshEater, is a 1988 independent Horror film directed, written, produced, edited, and starring Bill Hinzman.
The film tells the story of a group of teens settling out in the country during Halloween. A couple of farmers who own the area offer to drive them around and plan on picking the teens up after dark. However, one of the farmers comes across a tree stump, removes it, and finds an old buried coffin. The farmer reads an old warning on the coffin (see the text at the top of the page) but dismisses it as a joke and opens the coffin anyway, in which he is attacked by the zombie (played by Hinzman) inside and proceeds to attack anyone else he comes across.
This film provides examples of:
- Cruel Twist Ending: After all the zombies are killed off, one police officer goes down to the now burned down barn to investigate... only to be attacked and bitten by the very same zombie that started the whole mess.
- Death of a Child: Two of the victims in the film are young kids (an infant girl and her slightly older brother specifically).
- Gorn: Admittedly, there's not that much gore in the film, but two moments that stand out are the aftermaths of a police officer and a father of three upon being eviscerated by the zombies.
- Here We Go Again!: The original zombie that started the outbreak ends up creating another one at the end of the film, when a police officer investigates the area to double check that there are no more remaining zombies.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The film takes place on Halloween.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: The word "zombie" is never said at any point during the film, even after once the (living) characters realize what they're dealing with.
- Shout-Out: Near the end of the film, two of the teens that were hiding in the basement of a barn are shot and killed by a posse of policemen who mistake them for zombies, which pretty much alludes to Ben's exact same fate at the end of Night of the Living Dead (1968).
- Too Dumb to Live: The very first cop that appears in the film gets bombarded by a small group of zombies. He retreats to his car... but doesn't even think about driving away.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: One of the farmers that owned the area where the teens were staying is pretty much responsible for letting the plot happen, seeing as how he was the one who released the original zombie in the first place.