Allen began an acting and modelling career as a child, and from the mid-1970s appeared in small film roles, most notably the anchor of Robert Zemeckis's ensemble comedy I Wanna Hold Your Hand. A pivotal supporting role in Carrie brought her recognition, and after marrying the director Brian De Palma, she appeared in several of his films, including Dressed to Kill and Blow Out. Her subsequent films include Strange Invaders, The Philadelphia Experiment, Poltergeist III, Limit Up, Out of Sight, and the RoboCop trilogy.
- Carrie (1976) as Chris Hargensen
- 1941 as Donna Stratton
- Home Movies as Kristina
- Dressed to Kill as Liz Blake
- Blow Out as Sally Bedina
- Another World as Paula James
- Faerie Tale Theatre as Princess Elizabeth
- The RoboCop trilogy as Officer Anne Lewis
- The Philadelphia Experiment as Allison Hayes
- Poltergeist III as Patricia Wilson-Gardner
- Memories of Murder as Jennifer/Corey
- Touched by an Angel as Megan
- The Outer Limits (1995) as Rachel Rose in "Valerie 23"
- The Commish as Gina Raposo
- Out of Sight as Midge
- Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return as Rachel Colby
- Judging Amy as Helen White
- Circuit as Louise
- The Division as Christine Ogden
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Carin Healy
Tropes relating to her work:
- The Danza: Her debut role, in The Last Detail, is named Nancy.
- Production Posse: She was part of Brian De Palma's production posse in the 1970s and 1980s.
- Two First Names: Three if you include her middle name, Anne.