Jodie Auckland Whittaker (born June 17, 1982) is an English actress from Yorkshire note known for work in movies such as Venus, St. Trinian's, Good and Attack the Block, as well as the series Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Wired, Return to Cranford, Marchlands, Black Mirror, Broadchurch and The Assets.
On July 16th, 2017 she was announced as the Thirteenth Doctor in famous British science-fiction series Doctor Who, succeeding Peter Capaldi, making her the first woman to officially take the role after fifty four years.note
Humorously enough, she costarred in productions with not one but two fellow Doctors before she finally joined their ranks — playing the title character in a 2012 production of Antigone alongside Christopher Eccleston as Creon, and with David Tennant in Broadchurch.
Like previous Doctor Matt Smith, she grew up during the hiatus between the classic and modern Who series and so wasn't very familiar with the show, only having seen a few episodes. She got inspired to audition when after Broadchurch ended she asked Chris Chibnall if she could play a villain on the show, and he informed her he was actually looking to cast a female Doctor. Upon reading the scripts she quickly fell in love with the part and especially took to the reams of Techno Babble involved, greatly helping with Thirteen being more of a Gadgeteer Genius than any previous version.
Just barely edges out Sylvester McCoy, by a centimeter, as the shortest actor (5'6), to play The Doctor.
Her film roles:
- Venus (2006) as Jessie
- St. Trinian's (2007) as Beverly
- Wish 143 (2009) as Maggie
- Attack the Block (2011) as Samantha Adams
- A Thousand Kisses Deep (2011) as Mia Selva
- One Day (2011) as Tilly
- Get Santa (2014) as Alison
- Adult Life Skills (2016) as Anna
- Journeyman (2018) as Emma Burton
Her TV roles:
- Return to Cranford (2009) as Peggy Bell
- Black Mirror (2011; episode "Black Mirror: The Entire History of You") as Ffion
- Broadchurch (2013 — 2017) as Beth Latimer
- The Assets (2014) as Sandra Grimes
- The Smoke (2014) as Trish Tooley
- Trust Me (2017) as Cath Hardacre
- Doctor Who (2017 — present) as the Thirteenth Doctor
Tropes relating to her career:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Naturally a brunette, she goes blonde as the Doctornote and Beverly from the St. Trinian's series.
- Promoted Fanboy: She has said that playing the Doctor was her dream role.
- What Could Have Been: Prior to being asked to audition for the Thirteenth Doctor, she asked Chris Chibnall if she could play a baddie when he took over as Doctor Who's showrunner.