Adam Patrick Devine (born November 7, 1983 in Waterloo, Iowa) is an American actor, comedian, voice actor, singer, screenwriter and producer.
He began his career making Youtube videos with his friends Anders Holm, Blake Anderson and Kyle Newacheck in the early 2000s, which caught the attention of Comedy Central. They wanted the group to make a show, and thus Workaholics was born. They wrote, produced, directed and starred in the show for 7 seasons, ending as Comedy Central's most successful show.
Following season 1, he was approached by Elizabeth Banks to audition for an a cappella movie Pitch Perfect. The film was hugely successful, and his character Bumper was so popular, that it spawned a sequel, with him reprising his role. This led to him being typecast in Magnificent Bastard roles, in films such as The Final Girls, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and Game Over, Man!.
In 2013, Adam began playing a recurring character, Andy, on Modern Family. He impressed the producers so much that they wrote him into subsequent seasons. Due to his incredible performance portraying a nice, sweet love interest, he started to get offers to play Boy Next Door characters, beginning with the 2015 comedy/drama The Intern. From there, he was the lead in the romantic-comedies When We First Met and Isn't It Romantic, showcasing his dramatic chops. This was further established in his performances in the satirical dark comedy The Righteous Gemstones (2019), raunchy romantic comedy Jexi (2019) and animated childrens series Green Eggs and Ham (2019).
Unbeknownst to some of the public, Adam is also an extremely accomplished stand-up comedian, having competed in the prestigious Montreal Comedy Festival, when he was just 22.
Not to be confused with Adam Levine.
- Workaholics (2011 — 2017) as Adam Demamp
- Pitch Perfect franchise as Bumper
- Pitch Perfect (2012)
- Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)
- Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin (2022-)
- Modern Family (2013 — 2018) as Andy
- Uncle Grandpa (2013 — 2017) as Pizza Steve
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (2014 — 2017) as Boone
- Neighbors (2014) as Former Delta Psi Member
- The Intern (2015) as Jason
- The Final Girls (2015) as Kurt
- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016) as Mike
- The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) as The Flash
- When We First Met (2018) as Noah
- Game Over, Man! (2018) as Alexxx
- Vampirina (2018) as Poltergeist Pat
- Isn't It Romantic (2019) as Josh
- The Righteous Gemstones (2019) as Kelvin Gemstone
- Jexi (2019) as Phil
- Green Eggs and Ham (2019 — present) as Sam-I-Am
- Magic Camp (2020) as Andy
- The Freak Brothers (2021 — present) as Chuck (he is also an executive producer)
- Reindeer in Here (2022) as Blizzard "Blizz" the Reindeer
Tropes associated with his works and career:
- The Cast Showoff: Sings and dances in several of his roles.
- Celebrity Resemblance: He's joked in his stand-up about how people often compare him to "a young Matt Damon or Mark Wahlberg".
- Dyeing for Your Art: He worked out substantially for his role in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, due to the fact that he would have to play Zac Efron's brother.
- Large Ham: Some of his characters tend to be loud and prone to singing.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Boasts an impressive range of characters he's voiced, due to his captivating and energetic performances. His greatest example would be as Sam-I-Am in 'Green Eggs and Ham'', delivering an equally cheerful and heartbreaking portrayal.
- Romance on the Set: Met his wife Chloe Bridges on the plane, on their way to film The Final Girls.
- Self-Deprecation: His stand-up mostly consists of mocking his height and personality.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: Acted in a fair amount of family-friendly works. Adam has stated that it definitely diversified his fan base.
- Teens Are Short: In conjunction with his baby-face looks, this is how he successfully plays a lot of characters significantly younger than his actual age.
- Those Two Actors: Played Love Interests with Rebel Wilson four times.