Adam Patrick Devine (born November 7, 1983 in Waterloo, Iowa) is an American actor, comedian, voice actor, singer, screenwriter and producer.
He firstly started making Youtube videos with his friends Anders Holm, Blake Anderson and Kyle Newacheck in the early 2000s, which caught the attention of Comedy Central. They wanted the group to make a show, and thus Workaholics was born. They wrote, produced, directed and starred in the show for 7 seasons, ending as Comedy Centrals most successful show.
Following season 1, he was approached by Elizabeth Banks to audition for an a cappella movie Pitch Perfect. The film was hugely successful, and his character Bumper was so popular, it spawned a sequel, with him reprising his role. This led to him being typecast as Magnificent Bastard roles, in films such as The Final Girls, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and Game Over, Man!.
In 2013, Adam began playing a recurring character, Andy, on Modern Family. He impressed the producers so much that they wrote him into subsequent seasons. Due to his incredible performance portraying a nice, sweet love interest, he started to get offers to play Boy Next Door characters, beginning with the 2015 comedy/drama The Intern. From there, he was the lead in the romantic-comedies When We First Met and Isn't It Romantic, showcasing his dramatic chops.This was further established in his performances in the satirical, dark comedy The Righteous Gemstones (2019), raunchy romantic comedy Jexi (2019) and animated childrens series Green Eggs and Ham (2019).
Unbeknownst to some of the public, Adam is also an extremely accomplished stand-up comedian, having competed in the prestigious Montreal Comedy Festival, when he was just 22.
Not to be confused with Adam Levine.
- Workaholics (2011 — 2017) as Adam Demamp
- Pitch Perfect franchise as Bumper:
- Pitch Perfect (2012)
- Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)
- Modern Family (2013 — 2018) as Andy
- Uncle Grandpa (2013 — 2017) as Pizza Steve
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (2014 — 2017) as Boone
- Neighbors (2014) as Former Delta Psi Member
- The Intern (2015) as Jason
- The Final Girls (2015) as Kurt
- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016) as Mike
- The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) as The Flash
- When We First Met (2018) as Noah
- Game Over, Man! (2018) as Alexxx
- Vampirina (2018) as Poltergeist Pat
- Isn't It Romantic (2019) as Josh.
- The Righteous Gemstones (2019) as Kelvin Gemstone
- Jexi (2019) as Phil
- Green Eggs and Ham (2019) as Sam-I-Am
- Magic Camp (2020) as Andy
Tropes associated with his works and career:
- The Cast Showoff: Sings and dances in several of his roles.
- Celebrity Resemblance: He's joked on his stand-up about how people often compare him to "a young Matt Damon or Mark Wahlberg".
- Dyeing for Your Art: He worked out substantially for his role in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, due to the fact that he would have to play Zac Efron's brother.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: In 2019 alone, he stared in leading roles in two films, Isn't It Romantic and Jexi , two tv series, The Righteous Gemstones and Green Eggs and Ham (2019), and released his stand-up special on Netflix. The additional critical acclaim from his tv roles, including the rare 100% rating for Green Eggs and Ham, cemented him as a bona fide star.
- Large Ham: Some of his characters tend to be loud and prone to singing.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Boasts an impressive range of characters hes voiced, due to his captivating and energetic performances. His greatest example would be as Sam-I-Am in 'Green Eggs and Ham'', delivering an equally cheerful and heartbreaking portrayal.
- Older Than They Look: A lot of characters he portrays are almost a decade younger than his actual age.
- Pretty Boy: Has some gorgeous pretty-boy looks, including some irresistible dimples, which show off in his roles.
- Romance on the Set: Met his fiancé Chloe Bridges on the plane, on their way to film The Final Girls.
- Self-Deprecation: His stand-up mostly consists of mocking his height and personality.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: Acted in a fair amount of family-friendly sources. Adam has stated that it definitely diversified his fan base.
- Teens Are Short: In conjunction with his baby-face looks, this is how he successfully plays a lot of characters significantly younger than his actual age.
- Those Two Actors: Played Love Interests with Rebel Wilson four times.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: Following his arc on Modern Family, he has emerged as a leading man for a sleuth of rom-coms, demonstrating his dramatic chops.