Rebel Melanie Elizabeth Wilson (born Melanie Elizabeth Bownds, March 2, 1980 in Sydney, Australia) is an Australian actress, writer, entrepreneur, and stand-up comedian.
She began appearing as Toula in the SBS comedy series Pizza from 2003 and sketch comedy series The Wedge. In 2008, she wrote, produced and starred in the musical comedy series Bogan Pride. The following year, she won the Tropfest Best Actress award for her role in Bargain and made a guest appearance in City Homicide. Shortly after moving to the United States, Wilson was cast as Brynn in the feature film Bridesmaids.
She also appeared in A Few Best Men, What to Expect When You're Expecting and Struck By Lightning. Wilson also appeared as Becky in Bachelorette and starred in musical-comedy Pitch Perfect, where her role as Fat Amy earned her several award nominations and two sequels. She also created and starred in Super Fun Night on the ABC network for one season.
Tropes associated with her work
- Big Beautiful Woman: Both in real life and especially as "Fat Amy." Though substantially less so since losing weight in 2020.
- Funny Foreigner: She commonly plays an Australian.
- Hidden Depths: Has a Law degree from the University of New South Wales. When the MPAA gave her film The Hustle an R-rating due to language, she used her legal training to successfully appeal the decision.
- Older Than She Looks: She's 40, believe it or not.
- Pungeon Master: Most of her characters tend to revolve around telling jokes and puns.
- Romance on the Set: She and her boyfriend met on Bridesmaids.
- Stage Name: Her real name is Melanie Elizabeth Bownds. She later changed her name to Rebel Melanie Elizabeth Wilson.
- Star-Making Role: As Fat Amy in Pitch Perfect which has evolved into a trilogy. She was already known in her native Australia prior to Pitch Perfect.
- Those Two Actors: Played Adam Devine's love interest in four projects. (Workaholics, the first two Pitch Perfect films, and Isn't It Romantic).
- Typecasting: Frequently cast as a Lower-Class Lout or a Genki Girl.