The storyline revolves around Andy (Devine), an uptight banker who blows his shot at being a star magician in Las Vegas. At the urging of his former mentor and Magic Camp owner Roy Preston (Tambor), Andy returns to the camp of his youth hoping to reignite his career. One of the kids he has to mentor is 12-year-old Theo, who is coping with his father's unexpected death. Throughout the process, Andy finds inspiration in his ragtag bunch of rookie magicians, a display of symbiotic enrichment that is simply magic.
It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release on April 6, 2018; but was pushed back and is yet to be released on Disney+.
- Disappeared Dad: Theo's Dad died shortly before he came to Magic Camp, and he finds that without his dad's presence, he can't perform magic in front of an audience.
- Double Meaning: Magic Camp not only refers to how the actual camp teaches stage magic, but also the magic that causes relationships to be forged.
- Hidden Depths: Many of the kids that are reluctant to come to the camp discover that they have undiscovered talents in magic.
- Mentor Archetype: Andy serves in a mentor role to the kids.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The group of kids that Andy is in charge of vary in their ability and desire to be magicians.
- Stage Magician: What Andy, Roy and Christina are. Also, what the kids are learning to be throughout the camp.
- Where It All Began: Andy returns to the same magic camp of his childhood, under the same mentor. This time, though, he's the one that is in change of the kids.