Beware: spoilers are unmarked!
open/close all folders
Class of 1182
A paladin chosen by Avei, the goddess of war and justice and protector of women. Trissiny is outspoken, athletic, powerful, and a devout feminist.
The Hand of Omnu, god of life, the sun and agriculture, a natural and trained peacemaker.
A half-hethelax demon whose intelligence is eclipsed by his ability to say exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong moment.
- Butt-Monkey: He's starting to tone it down, as with Character Development he grows into someone a lot less likely to say something ridiculous or dumb, but it's still there.
- Fantastic Racism: A large part of his backstory and personality are explained by his being a demonblood, distrusted as a default.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: He doesn't have much of a filter, which lead to several of these situations.
- Super Toughness: Due his hethelax ancentry. He's immune to any non-magical attack and survived an atmospheric reentry.
- The Snark Knight:
Zaruda Carmelita Xingyu Sameera Meredith Punaji
A princess of the Punaji nation, a culture of pirates. Outspoken and prone to very colourful language; uses 'fucking' as punctuation. Often clashes with Trissiny due to their opposing world views.
- Cool Sword: A mithril rapier. In this universe mithril is essentially made of anti-magic, so it's impervious to any kind of magical attack and incredibly valuable.
- Deadpan Snarker: She is absolutely, gloriously full of snark, mostly directed at Gabe.
- Immune to Drugs / Immune to Mind Control: Naphthene's curse to "always drink but never be drunk" also seems to apply to other mind-altering stuff such as glittershrooms and bespelled food.
- Never Gets Drunk: One of her ancestors was cursed so that his descendants would "always drink but never be drunk".
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Portrays herself as a slightly uncouth, rough-and-ready pirate, but as Trissiny later remarks she is incredibly intelligent and very good at reading people, and sets the grading curve for their first term at the university.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Like most Punaji, she swears like a sailor.
A dryad. She is very naive and unaware of the finer workings of the world and has absolutely no sexual inhibitions.
A poorly-closeted lesbian who is possessed by Vadrieny. A bard in training.
An archdemon, one of the seven daughters of Elilial. She and her sisters were involved of a sabotaged Demonic Possession of which only she survived (barely).
A pixie who can use both fae magic (naturally) and arcane magic (not at all natural in any sense of the word).
A cleric of Themynra who acts as the voice of reason for literally everyone else in her year.
- Lip Stick Lesbian: well-dressed and well put together, and also together with Teal.
- The Spock: Shaeine is diplomatic, logical and self-controlled almost to a fault as a result of Narisian culture, which treats the sharing of emotions as something of great intimacy.
- The Stoic: As typical from Narisian drow.
Unseen University Teachers and Staff
Headmistress of Unseen University, a three thousand year old elvish mage who is as irascible as she is talented.
- The Ace: The only known person to have killed a god. Shes been designated a force of nature by the Emperors Spymaster, meaning that she can do practically anything she wants to with no legal repercussions.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: The prologue introduces her as this; throughout the series characters reactions at hearing her name vary from nervous to downright terrified.
- Retired Badass: Officially, anyway, though no longer being an adventurer hasnt stopped Tellwyrn from kicking ass at every available opportunity.
- Death Seeker: She went into the Deep Wild to die, she however didn't have it in her to just lie down and quit and gave a fair fight. It didn't work. She snaps out of it when Yornhaldt gives her the idea to found the university.
- Sinkor Swim Mentor: She has a tendency of throwing her students into difficult situations of all stripes and just leaving them there while she goes off to do her own thing. She however chooses situations that fit their abilities.
A half-elf and professor of Botany and Alchemy.
- Becoming the Mask: Exactly why he started acting completely insane is still up in the air, but at this point it's pretty much a fact that he at least started acting crazy, but exactly how sane he is now is up for debate.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Is under the impression that faculty rivalries are an integral part of university life, and so to get around the fact that no other teacher will start one with him, creates one with himself.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Acts completely insane for practically no discernible reason, but Tellwyrn implies that its to deal with the prejudice he faces as a half-elf.
A dwarf and professor of the arcane, old friend to Tellwyrn who helped found the University with her.
The martial arts professor.
Natchua dzun Dalmiss
A rebellious drow with a mohawk.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Explicitly compared to their equivalent of a nuke.
Bishop Basra Syrinx
Bishop Branwen Snowe
Bishop Andro Varanus
Bishop Antonio Darling/Sweet
See his entry in the Thieves' Guild section.
The Thieves' Guild
Bishop Antonio Darling/Sweet
The Bishop of the cult of Eserion, and former High Priest of the Thieves' Guild.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While it's a given from early on that Sweet has the capacity to be incredibly ruthless and manipulative, he still seems like a genuinely good person. Fast forward to him brutally torturing a man in cold blood - a Black Wreath spy, and a member of a cult diametrically opposed to his own, but it's nonetheless an absolutely shocking scene.
- Manipulative Bastard: Not to people he cares about, but still...
Current Boss of the Guild. He is very good at disguise and has strong organizational skills.
Head enforcer. Wears a different style of clothing everyday. Has a large role in teaching the apprendices.
Flora and Fauna
An enforcer with anger issues and misogynist views.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: The "hero" part is a stretch, but Shook has very firm opinions about women.
Sisterhood of Avei
High Commander Rouvad
Abbess Narnasia Darnassy
Brethren of Vidius
Huntsmen of Shaath
Goddess of War, Justice and protector of women.
God of Life, the Sun and Agriculture.
God of Death, Duality and Masks.
Goddess of Love.
God of the Wild.
God of Bards.
Goddess of Magic.
God of the Orcs. Died with his people by the Enchanter's Bane. Not that gods die that easily...
Elder Goddess of Nature.