open/close all folders
BABEL provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Expy: Minamoto to Professor Utonium, Shiho to Bubbles, Kaoru and Aoi to Buttercup and Blossom respectively (though their personal appearances are inverted).
- Kid Heroines: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Pretty much all of the young espers in BABEL, such as Kaoru, Shiho, Aoi, and Hatsune.
- Power Trio: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Minamoto's the first person who has ever shown the Children any genuine respect, love or kindness. They all fall in love with him.
- Theme Naming: The Children have colors in their names, which match the colors of their uniforms and hair: Akashi Kaoru (red), Noyama Aoi (blue), and the first kanji in Shiho (紫) means purple.
Voiced by: Yuuichi NakamuraThe main protagonist. He is the field leader of "The Children" Special Esper Team, not only giving them directions during missions but also overseeing their daily care.
- Above the Influence: Despite the persistent efforts of The Children (and Kyosuke, and Fujiko, and the entire free world...).
- Action Survivor: While he can put up some fight, he's not nearly as powerful as the espers are, and usually has to rely on them to fight other espers.
- Awesome by Analysis: Due to his intellect, he can usually figure out some of the things going on simply based on the evidence he sees.
- Badass Normal: subverted in the pilot chapter where he's (although completely oblivious of it) a level 7 anti anti ESP-er link... which still makes him a normal guy... but in the serialized manga (and anime) he is just a Normal.
- Batman Gambit: His most common means of surviving in a world filled with people of mass destruction
- Beware the Nice Ones: When pressed about his old college girlfriend, he gets extremely defensive about it, to the point that even high level espers were scared of him.
- Butt-Monkey: Minamoto starts out this way in the manga, being thrown into walls by Kaoru at the slightest provocation, taking the fall for the Children's collateral damage, or being messed with by Kyosuke.
- Canon Discontinuity: In the end of Volume 1, he is revealed as Anti-Anti Esper, basically if he is there it negates Anti-Esper's power and enable the esper(s) to use their ESP. Then, it was completely untouched again like Anti-ESPer ESPer and The Normals.
- Celibate Hero: Minamoto's life revolves around keeping The Children safe and happy. On the rare occasions when does manage a date he's completely clueless.
- Chick Magnet: Many of the females in the series are drawn to him. Some comment on his good looks, while others like him because he's a Nice Guy. He's not Oblivious to Love either, he's mostly Above the Influence regarding the Children, and for the others he just simply doesn't have time to date due to his workload with BABEL and the girls.
- Cunning Linguist: English, Russian, German, French, Italian, Chinese; and some proficiency with Spanish and Korean.
- Deconstruction: Minamoto of all people experiences this when he learns from Feather that he kills Kaoru in the Bad Future out of Mad Love for her.
- Even the Guys Want Him: In-Universe. Everyone wants Minamoto; among others, Kyosuke, Sakaki and Okama.
- Fermat's Last Theorem: Apparently he found a ''new'' proof for it as a boy because he was asked to.
- Guile Hero: Wins using brainpower.
- Heroic Willpower: Strong enough to resist the more drastic forms of mind control Kyosuke tries to inflict on him.
- House Husband: Lampshaded pretty often.
Patty: He's casually came all the way to buy cookware !? He's a woman!!Matsukaze: And he's just so casually approaches it! Really, is this an Otome Game !?
- According to Sakaki, he'll "make a good bride."
- A yonkoma depicts the ESP types and how it works, and he.. Has the housewife skills, the power to make dish from leftover ingredients.
- Chapter 424: Hanae comes to the mansion where the girls lives and cook and cleans in Minamoto's stead, in which Minamoto seems slightly dissappointed he is not allowed to do the housechores. Aoi called the debate "Like a fight between the mother in law and the wife."
- Chapter 426. Yuuri and Kaoru is having a date, with Yuuri showing "Kaoru's ideal type." Patty and Matsukaze watched them...And Minamoto come to said department store. For what? To buy cookware, and the reaction was epic:.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: The girls discover that he was incredibly smart for someone his age when examining an old class picture. Other kids didn't like being outshone by him in class and gradually ostracized him for it. Because of this, despite being a normal human, he is able to sympathize with the plight espers face due to their powers.
- Minored In Ass Kicking: When he's not fighting someone way over his league, such as a high level esper, he can put up a decent fight.
- Morality Chain: Initially. Later on in the series The Children become mature enough to make their own decisions.
- Mr. Fanservice: Photographs of Minamoto in his unmentionables are popular among BABEL's female staff.
- Nice Guy: Aside from him disciplining the girls for rude behavior, he is generally this.
- Only Sane Employee: He's one of the only ones who generally doesn't go overboard with his actions. The BABEL chief, in contrast, tends to overreact towards the girls and anything they do.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: No matter how strong, influential or cute you are. No matter even if you are his employer. Make Minamoto snap and you will surely regret it.
- As an example, when Fujiko tries to ask him about his old girlfriend from college, he tries to skirt the issue. When Sakaki tries to answer it for them, he knocks his friend out, and later when pressed on it, he gets rather angry, and everyone, even high level espers like Kaoru, were quite scared of him.
- Otaku: a very high functioning one. The man squees like a six year old when he goes to a space museum.
- Papa Wolf: He tends to get rather protective of the girls anytime they're ordered to do something he deems a bit out of their league, such as having Shiho help the police with unsolved cases by having her touch items recovered from the crime scene, such as a kitchen knife. And especially anytime Hyobu approaches them.
- Parental Substitute: He is a full time parental figure and role model to at least five very powerful ESPers.
- Poor Communication Kills: Chooses not to share the full details of the prophecy where he kills Kaoru. Hard to blame him, but it still leads to lots of misunderstandings and hilarity.
- Screw Destiny: Minamoto actively tries to avert a prediction made where he has to kill Kaoru in the future.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: There is a time Minamoto gets so angry at The Children that he considers calling quits on being their guardian. Little he knew that in their case making them cry hopelessly is not recommended.
- Sexy Mentor: Male example.
- The Strategist: He usually formulates a lot of the plans that BABEL takes. And they usually succeed.
- Supreme Chef: The man can cook anything. Anywhere.
- Team Chef: Is quite a good cook. Sakaki at one point jokes that he'll "make a good wife someday" to someone.
- Team Dad: He's essentially this for the girls.
- Tsundere: Type B, and completely understandable in his situation.
- Unwanted Harem: Aside from the three girls he supervises, he's also got several other females that at least show hints of interest in him, such as the Double Face girls and Kaoru's mother and sister.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: To Kaoru, though the usual gender roles are reversed.
- Wife Husbandry: Zigzagged. He's not trying to do this, but the kids want him to, not that they want him to wait that long. Everyone else thinks he's trying to, Fujiko wants him to, and in the future, one way or another he'll end up with Kaoru.
Voiced by: Aya HiranoA ten-year-old Level 7 psychokinetic and the reckless and zealous member of "The Children" Special Esper Team alongside Shiho and Aoi that often goes overkill with her psychic powers.
- A-Cup Angst: She's quite upset with her flat chest whenever Mary is around, especially when the latter points this out.
- Anything That Moves: Kaoru loves the ladies, but that doesn't prevent her from hitting on several males.
- Berserk Button: Do not hurt her friends. Ever.
- That goes double for the one she loves. Hurt Minamoto, suffer horribly.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She tends to feel this way anytime someone other than her makes a move on Minamoto. She also gets this way to a lesser degree with Shiho and Aoi.
- Dark Messiah: According to the prophecy, she will lead espers in a war against humans before Minamoto kills her.
- Depraved Bisexual: Borderline case, and Played for Laughs. She gets better about it as she gets older.
- Dirty Old Man: Called this on several occasions.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Tomboy that she is, she gets this a fair bit. Usually from girls she's not chasing after, though.
- Fiery Redhead
- Freudian Excuse: Averted. Despite some horrific treatment at Suma's hands, a prejudice, as well as a childhood of being feared by her family, Kaoru is a kind hearted person. Even as a villain, her stated goal is protecting ESPers rather than hatred of the human race. Still, it's lucky she met Minamoto when she did.
- Genki Girl
- Girliness Upgrade: After the Time Skip
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Large Ham: The way she speaks at times tends to Chew the Scenery, especially when Calling Your Attacks.
- Likes Older Women
- Living MacGuffin: Kaoru's the prize for BABEL and PANDRA. Whether the prophecy is fulfilled is up to her, so both sides work very hard to win her heart and mind.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- The McCoy
- Mind over Matter
- Playing with Fire
- No Sense of Personal Space: In episode 50, she sits right next to Minamoto in class to share a notebook. Both Aoi and Shiho are rather angry at the turn of events.
- Shipper on Deck: She does this a couple of times:
- Smitten Teenage Girl: After the Time Skip for Minamoto.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While she still a Jerk Ass at times, she's not as much of one as the show goes on, partly due to Character Development, but mostly because of Minamoto's influence on the girls.
- Tsundere: Child Kaoru is Type A, Adult Kaoru is Type B. She progressed to Mixed after the Time Skip.
Voiced by: Ryoko ShiraishiA ten-year-old esper with Level 7 teleportation capability, Aoi is the rational member of "The Children" Special Esper Team alongside Kaoru and Shiho that likes playing video games in her spare time.
- A-Cup Angst: Played for Laughs. She once pulled buttons off her school uniform when the other girls' uniforms popped open due to their "development."
- Brainy Brunette
- Clingy Jealous Girl: While not as overt as Kaoru, she does have these moments, especially whenever she suspects the latter taking the lead on them towards Minamoto.
- Covert Pervert: She may claim to be sweet and pure, but she's also the one who got the idea of having Kaoru "train" Naomi by tearing off her clothes.
- Curtains Match the Window: Navy blue hair and eyes.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Subverted a couple times. She gets a better test result than Kaoru or Shiho by studying hard and not goofing off.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: So she claims.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Born and raised in Kyoto, Aoi speaks in a Kansai dialect, including the use of the honorific -han used in place of the standard -san.
- Precocious Crush: Like everyone else, she likes Minamoto, though Aoi is almost as serious about it as Kaoru.
- Specs of Awesome
- The Spock
- Teleporters and Transporters
- Tsundere: Got called one by Ken. Not that she doesn't have her moments.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit
- Yamato Nadeshiko
Voiced by: Haruka TomatsuA ten-year-old esper with Level 7 psychometry, Shiho is the sarcastic, sharp-tongued and often childishly sadistic member of "The Children" Special Esper Team alongside Kaoru and Aoi.
- Ax-Crazy: Her dark side.
- Berserk Button: Don't piss her off or criticize her friends.
- Blessed with Suck: As a psychometer, she can read people's darkest secrets and feelings, leading her to have a very cynical view of people and also leading many people to being afraid of touching her.
- Blood Knight
- Broken Bird: Shiho mentions in one of her arcs that she learned very early on what kind of a world she lives in. Later, for laughs, she frequently Lampshades that she's a "dark" character.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She has shades of this towards Minamoto, and like Kaoru and Aoi, will go to great lengths to find out why he's not paying enough attention to them. Even if it's a mission related task, such as schmoozing with Sakaki to see if the latter was really a spy.
- Covert Pervert: Knows quite a bit about what goes on behind closed doors, and is not afraid to make completely age-inappropriate comments from time to time.
- Creepy Child: As with Osaka, this aspect of her personality is often played for laughs...except when it isn't.
- Cute and Psycho: She's a sweet-looking little girl, but even her "good" side is a sociopath who enjoys hurting animals when she gets an excuse.
- Dark Action Girl: Her dark side.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tends to do this during non-serious moments.
- The Empath
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Shiho really loves that taser of hers...
- Good Is Not Soft: More like rough instead of "not soft", and this is before she reverts to her dark side.
- The Gunslinger: Before the timeskip, Shiho uses a two shot derringer. It is a kid's version.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: One manifestation of her psychometry.
- In the Blood: Her dark side.
- The Kirk
- Mind over Manners: Averted. Shiho is not above using her powers to jerk Minamoto's chain, or even lie about what she sees in his mind to get him in trouble for no reason.
- Mystical White Hair
- Pay Evil unto Evil: She uses brute and destructive measures to solve any problems.
- Purple Is Powerful
- Precocious Crush: Like the other girls, she's crushing on Minamoto. She mostly expresses it by messing with his head and getting him in trouble.
- Stepford Smiler: Very mildly, all things considered. IF she doesn't want to deal with you, she'll smile, listen politely, and ignore you until you go away.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Her dark side, and inherited from her mother.
- Token Evil Teammate: She feels she's this a lot of times due to her ability to read people's thoughts.
- Touch Telepathy: How Shiho's powers generally work. She's a powerful user of psychometry, which allows her to read a person's mind or understand how objects have been used by holding them.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior
- Unscrupulous Heroine
- White Hair, Black Heart: Her dark side
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She has a large fear of the supernatural world, in particular, spirits and ghosts.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, she has this look from time to time, such as when Muscle Okama tried to hit on Minamoto. She threatened to shoot him in the groin.
Voiced by: Jurota KosugiThe leader of BABEL in terms of most day to day matters.
- Badass Normal: While mostly portrayed for comedy relief, he can be surprisingly competent when things get serious.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: In the OVA, he falls for a trap when he opens a door. A guillotine comes down and seems to hit Taizo, only for him to get up and say that a normal person would have died. A camera shot from behind reveals it sliced off the back of his clothing.
- I Was Quite a Looker
- Large Ham
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Subverted in every imaginable way
- Papa Wolf: He tends to go overboard with the girls, such as when Aoi and Shiho went on a date with a boy. He went so far as to have Babel staff follow them and interrupt the date as much as possible.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Though "reasonable" may be pushing it a little, he backs The Children all the way.
- Uncle Penny Bags: If Minamoto is the main parent figure to The Children, then Chief Kiritsubo is the over indulgent Honorary Uncle.
Voiced by: Masumi AsanoTaizo's secretary, who's often seen with him.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Can turn out this way at times when the Chief does some over the top things.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Christmas Cake: Implied, as people try to set her up on dates.
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: She acts like this towards Taizo when he starts veering off from his actual job of running BABEL.
- Covert Pervert: Is implied to be attracted to Minamoto
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In a supplement chapter
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: She gets a lot of things done around BABEL when Taizo is goofing off or doing things he really shouldn't be, such as spying on the girls while on a date with a boy. She even gets the Japanese government off of BABEL's back when they question why they're spending so much money on the organization. Due to her sincerity and hospitality, they all agree that it's a necessary function and allow more funding for them.
- Mission Control: She often performs this role for Minamoto and the girls, providing them with intel for their mission.
- Nice Girl
- Office Lady: A Higher ranked example.
- Only Sane Employee: Other than Minamoto, she seems to be the only one that can usually get things done around work. Certainly when Minamoto isn't around.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Mostly thanks to Kaoru.
- Sexy Secretary
- She's Got Legs: Especially pronounced due to her skirt.
Voiced by: Kissho TaniyamaBABEL's chief physician and Minamoto's close friend.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He's a little jealous that the Children have Minamoto as a mentor. Growing up, he didn't have anyone like that, and like all espers, he was ostracized too, so often hung out by himself. However, once he meets Minamoto, and sees a human that genuinely wants to befriend espers, he starts to become more likable.
- Big Brother Mentor: Attempts to be this to Tim Toy and Bullet. He will also occasionally watch over the girls if Minamoto is unable to for whatever reason.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: By Black Phantom's Gilliam, though it is like a cancer instead of hypnotism.
- Casanova Wannabe: While it's strongly hinted at that he has a lot of girls' numbers, the ones he tries to hit on onscreen usually turn him down, such as the Double Face girls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He may be perverted, but he will still help where he's needed, especially if it's Minamoto or the girls.
- Combat Pragmatist: He doesn't mind using drugs to sedate his opponent, since he doesn't have any real offensive esper abilities like Kaoru and Aoi do.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Comes off as a skirt chaser and a slacker... until you threaten his friends.
- Digging to China:He can use his psychometry through the Earth to reach Brazil, which is not impossible considering where he was at the moment.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Just a subtle one, but he mentions to Shiho that he's a little jealous that she got to meet someone like Minamoto who goes through a lot of trouble to protect her, Aoi, and Kaoru. By comparison, he had no one like that to rely on growing up, so grew kind of jaded and bitter. Until he punched Minamoto at college and saw someone who looked like he cared about espers despite being a normal person.
- Healing Hands: His psychometry greatly enhances his abilities as a doctor.
- Inconvenient Hippocratic Oath: In episode 32, after meeting his old college professor at a secret fishing spot, the latter taunts him for being a bad student. He then suffers a stroke, and while Shiho says he got what he deserved, Sakaki mentions that he still has to do what he can to help save the old man's life. In the end he seems to have done so, and also grown a little closer to Shiho, who up to that point was largely confrontational to him.
- Mind over Manners: In contrast to Shiho, Sakaki uses his powers more or less ethically. (He does examine his female patients' chests a little more often than he should, but in BABEL that's negligible.)
- Minored In Ass Kicking: Rarely participates in combat, but is more than proficient when he does. This includes sedating opponents stronger than him.
- The Resenter: Mildly. Sakaki barely conceals his wishes that he had a parent/mentor figure like Minamoto, and can get catty with Shiho over it.
- Unknown Rival: To Shiho.
Voiced by: Ayumi FujimuraAnother ESPer on BABEL's payroll who occasionally assists the children in the field.
- Ambiguously Gay: We don't see her in any relationships on-screen, but she isn't interested in Tanizaki (though not many girls would be) and she's the heroine in the Marimite parody episode. Easy to come to conclusions.
- Catholic School Girls Rule
- Hero of Another Story: She's in a different group than the Children, and some episodes focus on stuff she does.
- Mind over Matter
- Tsundere: Type B. She's dere to everyone except Tanizaki. And he deserves the violence he receives and likes it, anyway. Lampshaded by Ken.
- Wife Husbandry: Possibly one of the funniest subversions ever.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Tanizaki's pet project is to turn her into one. And mostly succeeds: Naomi is simply a very calm, kind young woman who is far too strong willed to put up with her supervisor's crap.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears thigh highs.
Voiced by: Hiroshi YanakaNaomi's supervisor, and would be suitor.
- Butt-Monkey: He sexually harasses a woman who can juggle trucks with her mind, so he's really got it coming.
- Characterization Marches On: His behavior towards Naomi was originally portrayed as more Squicky than funny.
- Gratuitous English: In the anime.
- Iron Butt Monkey: But despite the severe beatings he gets, he always shrugs them off, and in fact seems to enjoy the punishment from Naomi.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Made of Iron
- The Not-Love Interest: He's placed in the Love Interest slot for Naomi (by his design) and is the most important person in her life, but he is never getting a chance at her.
- Porn Stache
- Rule of Funny: Why he's funny and not squicky.
- Shower of Angst: Played for Laughs.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Wife Husbandry: Unlike Minamoto he is trying to invoke this trope, but it's backfiring badly. And by badly, we mean hilariously.
Voiced by: Fuyuka OuraOne of the members of Hound, and Hatsune's childhood friend. His power is metempsychosis
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Hatsune.
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: Hatsune needs a keeper.
- Demonic Possession: He can possess animals and other people.
- Nice Guy
Voiced by: Ai ShimizuThe second member of Hound, with a metamorphic synthetic power.
- Animal Motifs: Dogs.
- Berserk Button: Harming Akira.
- Boobs of Steel
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Akira.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gets jealous when other girls try to talk to Akira.
- Cute Monster Girl: When transformed.
- Fanservice Pack:
- Going Commando: To Akira's discomfort when older.
- No Sense of Personal Space
- The Nose Knows: Has a strong sense of smell and taste.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Her esper powers make her like a werewolf, though she can imitate other animals.
- Voluntary Shape Shifter
- Wild Child: She eats animals raw due to her canine nature.
Voiced by: Takashi KondoAn Esper brainwashed by Black Phantom.
- Brain Washed And Crazy
- Cold Sniper: Pre-Face–Heel Turn
- Child Soldier
- Easy Amnesia: Averted. He still has no memory of who he is.
- The Gun Slinger
- I Owe You My Life: Bullet is deeply loyal to the Children, though he's not quite sure why.
- Meaningful Name: possibly subverted as we don't know if it is his real name.
Voiced by: Junko MinagawaAnother of Black Phantom's victims who finds himself on Babel's pay roll.
- Brain Washed And Crazy
- Enfant Terrible: Prior to being freed of Black Phantom's control.
- I Owe You My Life: Loyal to The Children for the same reasons as Bullet
- Properly Paranoid: When he's dealing with Kyosuke he verifies the identities of the people he's dealing using retina scans and finger prints.
Voiced by: YukanaThe official head of BABEL. An esper from the earlier generation and knows Kyosuke from back then.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her default outfit reveals her rather ample chest.
- Always Someone Better: Kyosuke was this to her when they were children.
- Anything That Moves
- Bait-and-Switch Tyrant: Starts out by taking Minamoto off duty, but while it's something of a dick move on her part, it's actually a Secret Test of Character, and she does become somewhat less nasty afterwards.
- Big Good: She was one of the original leaders who built BABEL with the hope that normal humans would see espers as people instead of freaks.
- Big Sister Bully
- Berserk Button: Do not remind her how old she is...
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She founded an organization like BABEL. Of course she's completely nuts.
- Cool Big Sis
- Cute and Psycho: She doesn't let up with the Kawaiiko act, even when she's discussing shooting someone.
- Depraved Bisexual: Played for Laughs.
- Gainaxing: Happens quite a bit in the anime thanks to her rather large bust.
- Horny Devils: She lives by draining Life Energy through kisses (and, it's implied, sex too).
- Kawaiiko: She really overdoes the cute sometimes, even though she's a bit too old for it.
- Locked into Strangeness: Over the years, her hair has changed color from chestnut brown to light creamy-tan, almost a off white color.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Ms. Fanservice
- Mystical White Hair: Her white hair is the only physical nod to her actual age, as she uses her vampire powers to retain her youth.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: She's usually laid back, but if she puts on a serious face, watch out, as Hyobu found out first hand. While she claims she's not as powerful as he is, she still dished out a Curb-Stomp Battle to him, and he was only saved because PANDRA members came to bail him out.
- Omniscient Morality License: Of course she's going to screw with Kaoru and Minamoto's lives, because it's the only way to Screw Destiny.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Called out multiple times by Minamoto.
- Older Than She Looks: She's in her 80s, but looks like she's in her 20s.
- Person of Mass Destruction: She's nearly a match for Kyosuke in power.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While she may not look like it, she allows her subordinates quite a bit of freedom to perform tasks and missions however they see fit. She also provides them with help from time to time, although upon first impression it may not look like it, such as when she was trying to train Minamoto to grow closer to the girls.
- Shipper on Deck: Minamoto/The Children OT4.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Takes a nap after founding BABEL, and only wakes up in the second season.
- Sociopathic Hero
- Stay in the Kitchen: When she was younger, she defied this trope by joining the ESPer special unit.
- The Tease: She likes to do this to Minamoto...a lot. Which doesn't sit well with Aoi, Shiho, or Kaoru...
- Third-Person Person: When she thinks she's being cute.
- Tsundere: Type A as a teenager.
- Vain Sorceress: For being a woman over eighty years old, she retains her youth by sucking life energy from whomever she kisses, to be able to retain her youthful appearance.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?
- Your Days Are Numbered
PANDRAA group of rogue Espers dedicated to securing ESPer supremacy, often through violent means.
- Abusive Parents: Minor case. His father shouted at him and forced to repress his powers, and may have even beaten him for using them.
- A Father to His Men: Kyosuke has genuine, no-strings-attached feelings of affection and responsibility for his followers, up to taking over a country just to let the kids go to school.
- Affably Evil: Very. He does have serious moments where he acts like a genuine bad guy, but most other times he just does petty things, such as trying to beat Momotaro at a video game, and losing.
- All Your Powers Combined: His extra powers were gained from his old comrades, and were passed on to him if he personally watched them die.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: When reverted into a child, he is nicer, and due to Minamoto, it bleeds over when he comes back.
- Anti-Villain: Kaoru sees him as such, though Kyosuke is always zigzagging across the Moral Event Horizon. Regardless, his intentions are at least understandable, and he is providing a home and support network for the espers that BABEL isn't able to find or help.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He is quite dangerous even though he does get beat from time to time. But that's usually because he wants to give them a Hope Spot before showing a trump card that then takes out whoever he's fighting.
- Back from the Dead
- Big Bad
- Breakout Character: Has his own anime spinoff, The Unlimited.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Kyosuke is as intelligent as Minamoto, but is too whimsical to match him tactically.
- But Not Too Foreign: Backstory tells us his mother is 'from the continent' i.e. Asia.
- Cast from Lifespan: His "Unlimited Mode" introduced in the spinoff, in which he removes his Power Limiter and becomes even more powerful than he already is, shortens his lifespan every time he uses it due to the unstable nature of his powers (thus necessitating the use of a constant Power Limiter in the first place).
- Characterization Marches On: In his first appearance, he seemed somewhat more evil and less whimsical.
- Combat Pragmatist: He's usually willing to do whatever is necessary to win a fight.
- Creepy Child: Had his moments after joining the military.
- Depraved Bisexual: Either this or If It's You, It's Okay toward Minamoto. Or just a massive tease.
- Draco in Leather Pants: In-universe, Kaoru is unbelievably willing to forgive his crimes.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: The default state of his eyes after his Start of Darkness, regardless of whether he's angry or smiling or contemplating sweet murder.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He feels a war between espers and normals is inevitable, and constantly works in subtle way to try and speed things up. However, Fujiko and Minamoto both refuse to believe that, and feel that espers and normals can get along, hence BABEL's existence and why they're trying so hard to ensure the girls grow up with a somewhat healthy and normal childhood. As a result, they often end up at odds with each other.
- Friendly Enemy: To BABEL, particularly Minamoto and The Children.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason he's so distrusting of normals, Minamoto in particular, is because his commander when working in the Japanese military had come off as a very reasonable kind man who wanted nothing more than coexistence between espers and normals, but then tried to murder Hyoubu and made it clear that his ideal world was one in which humans control espers. Because of him, Hyoubu has trouble bringing himself to trust normals who work towards coexistence between espers and normals.
- I Shall Taunt You
- Like Brother and Sister: With Fujiko, before and during the war. He even called her "sis".
- Limited Wardrobe: Nothing but gakurans. Getting him to wear more normal clothes have ended badly in the past.
- Locked into Strangeness: His hair was originally black. It turned white over the years.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's willing to play dirty to achieve his goals if he has to.
- Master of Illusion
- Morality Chain: Kaoru is this to him. He will often stop what he's doing to help her out, or provide a clue on what to do about the current crisis, and in some cases will do dirty work behind the scenes to prevent Kaoru from having to get her hands dirty, such as killing an esper controlled by Black Phantom.
- Mystical White Hair: His silver hair is the only physical nod to his actual age.
- Not So Above It All: He may be a criminal mastermind, but he still tries to show up Minamoto from time to time, such as making a boxed lunch for Mio after she reminisced about Minamoto's cooking, or trying to beat Momotaro at a video game, losing badly, and still insisting on playing more. He also finds it hilarious when Minamoto is taken control of by some flies, and try to make him do silly things such as drink from a toilet.
- Older Than He Looks: Despite having the appearance of a high schooler, he is at least 80 years old.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: He takes this stance at times when helping out BABEL/Minamoto. While he would love to see them fail, he also realizes that upsetting Kaoru would work against his goal of trying to make her the esper queen.
- Parental Substitute: Seemed he found one in commander of his ESP unit. Poor kid.
- Pet the Dog: As underhanded as he acts at times, he does have these moments where he'll protect Kaoru or help out Minamoto, even if his objective to have Kaoru do a Face–Heel Turn ultimately fails.
- Physical God
- Playing with Fire: Received from an old comrade, after he died.
- Psychopathic Manchild: In Volume 6, he does avenge a young girl who is severely wounded in a suicide bombing - but only because the bomber ruined the good mood brought on by the flowers she sold him and because she looks astonishingly like Kaoru. Later, he says to the leader of the terrorist group (before he blows up the plane they're on):Kyousuke: I go anywhere my interest leads me. I do anything I want to. I kill anyone I don't like. That is all.
- Reality Warper: Between his highly-refined telekinesis and hypnosis, Kyosuke can do just about anything.
- Supreme Chef: While this doesn't crop up often, Mio did comment that his boxed lunch was delicious. One of his henchmen notes that he's being immature because he made said lunch solely because Mio was reminiscing about Minamoto's cooking a while back, and wanted to show him up.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before his beloved commander tried to kill him.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: There will be a war between humans and espers. Kyosuke wants to make sure the esper side wins, whatever the cost.
- Villainous Crush: He wants Kaoru as his queen.
- Villain Protagonist: In The Unlimited.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Momotaro.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: While PANDRA's main goal seems to be making sure that espers win the war between normals and espers, should it ever come, but it's implied that he'd be perfectly fine with a world in which humans and espers can coexist peacefully. The problem is he doesn't think that it's possible. Also, PANDRA's actions rarely ever directly harm civilians, espers and normals alike.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: His Start of Darkness. He himself averts this utterly; see A Father to His Men above.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Brought up early in the manga but then ignored; resurfaces in the spinoff anime.
Voiced by: Rie KugimiyaA young level 6 teleporter in PANDRA. Mio spends a great deal of time trying to gain Kaoru's affection without admitting that she wants to be friends.
- Affably Evil: While her introduction was rather violent, kidnapping Minamoto to force Kaoru into a showdown, she is a rather incompetent villain. Even when he was kidnapped, Minamoto ends up cooking some decent food for her after noticing she just ate instant noodles. He even cleans her clothes for her after recommending she take a much needed bath as well.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: Frequently makes threats against against Kaoru before she admits that she really wants Karou's friendship.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Hyobu showed kindness to her when she was younger, hence why she willingly joined him and worships him.
- Body Horror: Her first fight has her teleportation powers run amok.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Hates Kaoru because of the attention Hyobu gives the former over her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied.
- Dark Magical Girl: Much more vicious than The Children.
- The Ditz: Can be a bit slow to realize things like "having no air will kill you."
- Green-Eyed Monster: Mio resents that The Children, Kaoru especially, received many opportunities that she was denied.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When Minamoto washes her clothes and she takes a bath.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Until Kyosuke reorganized PANDRA, Mio was living in a cabin, on her own, eating virtually nothing but ramen.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Her teleportation allows her to teleport only a part instead of the whole like the others. The parts are still connected and if they are too far apart or too far away from Mio, they will reattach on one side.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: To Kaoru.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Koji OchiaiKyosuke's right hand man and secretary.
- Awesome, but Impractical: His Prehensile Hair incorporates carbon microfibres, which allows them to double as Combat Tentacles... and makes him especially susceptible to Shiho's taser.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Boring, but Practical: A lot of the stuff he does for PANDRA is low flash but highly effective.
- But Not Too Foreign: Magi says he and other members of PANDRA were war orphans or refugees.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Not a match for Kyosuke in power, but he's the one who has to clean up after him and make sure PANDRA is still functioning well enough for him to go off on his larks.
- Limited Wardrobe: He only dresses in identical copies of his nice suit.
- Not So Above It All: Especially in the supplement. He apparently thought that Muscle was Muscle's real name.
- Not So Different: Though it's not explicitly stated, it's clear that he has a lot in common with Minamoto.
- Only Sane Employee: He and Minamoto once got drunk on a picnic in frustration about their superiors.
- Prehensile Hair, which he can use as Combat Tentacles or Hair Wings.
- Promotion to Parent: Kyosuke sticks him with three kids.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Magi treats PANDRA like it's a job: objectives are set, paperwork is organized and you put in overtime to get the big projects done on time. All this makes him more dangerous than the rank and file who treat PANDRA like a hobby or a game.
- Ship Tease: With Momiji, who decides very early on that he's marriage material. More so when the only time we see Magi lose his cool is when she gets hurt.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Deeply cares about Kyosuke, but admitting it is like pulling teeth.
- Team Dad: The one who gets stuck trying to establish rules and discipline. Also had to raise at least three ESPers. He's more detached and stern than Minamoto, but given that he works for Kyosuke that's something of a necessity.
- The Trains Run on Time: Handles PANDRA's logistics and planning.
- The Worf Effect: Gets pounded by Mirage but we then learn it's just Kysouke's high-level hypno. He's not happy about being such a pushover.
Masuo "Muscle Okama" Ookama
Voiced by: Kenta MiyakeOne of PANDRA's ESPers and Mio's most frequent partner in crime.
- Ambadassador: No seriously.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Only when someone makes him wear one.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Has a hidden talent for diplomacy. Why hasn't this man been sent to the Middle East?
- Think about how they treat people like him there...
- Camp Gay
- Evil Is Hammy: He tends to talk this way, especially when calling his attacks.
- Groin Attack: WHY WAS I BORN A MAAAAN!?
- Hard Gay: As if his signature attacks from the groin weren't already enough of a clue, he also actively hits on Minamoto as well.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Gender-inverted example. In the last episode, he shows in one scene looking and acting like a completely normal person, to the point that several of the PANDRA members are unable to recognize him. Then he changes into his usual outfit/demeanor, and they immediately recognize him.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Certainly comes of as much more malicious then usual during the Infamous Colony Drop Incident.
- Taken for Granite: His ESPer power.
- Team Dad: Believe it or not, according to the quasi-Canon 'supplements'.
Voiced by: Yukito Soma
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime gives him stronger motives for Face–Heel Turn, making him more sympathetic.
- Blessed with Suck: In episode 21 of the anime, he tells Hyobu he was constantly being ignored, such as being skipped over for attendance in class, which he exploits by taking pictures of Babel employees without their knowledge. He then says he has to practically punch someone in the face before they'll even notice him, which also comes back to bite him when Kaoru nearly walks over him while he's spying on Oboro Kashiwagi.
- The Dog Bites Back: Being always mocked for his hobbies by Sakaki makes it that much easier for him to join PANDRA for good; he nearly murders Sakaki in the process.
- In the anime, BABEL really had it coming when Kaoru blackmailed him into building an anatomically-correct Oboro doll for her, then just left him holding the bag when it was discovered, causing him to lose out on his chance to ask out the girl he really liked, Ranko Kaneko, who then subsequently goes on a date with Sakaki after she misinterpreted the accusations that he liked Kashiwagi.
- Face–Heel Turn: While he was a spy for Hyobu in the first place, he never actively worked against BABEL until the Trauma Conga Line he suffers from them. He then tries to frame Sakaki as a spy, and after that fails, openly joins PANDRA.
- Freudian Excuse: His coworkers' general disdain for his hobby gives him another reason to spy on them for PANDRA.
- Marionette Master: As an esper, Kugutsu can manipulate dolls with life-like accuracy. Also, this.
- Otaku: A doll/figurine otaku to boot. Never to be seen without a
- The Mole: In episode 21 of the anime, it's revealed that he's the one giving intel on BABEL espers to Hyobu.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Subverted. Kugutsu is truly appreciated in PANDRA for his abilities, otakuism notwithstanding.
- Spoof Aesop: for Tim and Bullet's sake.
- Start of Darkness: After suffering a humiliating Trauma Conga Line thanks largely to Kaoru in episode 21 of the anime, he vows revenge on all the people who humiliated him, and worse, ruined his chances of giving a Love Confession to Ranko Kaneko, a BABEL technician and girl he was really interested in.
- Anti-Villain: one of the more level headed PANDRA ESPers. Though, as with BABEL, that's not saying much.
- A Day in the Limelight: "A Scandal With Her"
- Cool Shades
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her hometown was obliterated in one night.
- Friendly Enemy: Like most of PANDRA, but also points out weaknesses in BABEL's security to them.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: High-tech blinders to force her to use her spatial awareness as a teleporter.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Momiji's actual power is a synthetic power that allows her to anchor herself in space, effectively giving her super strength.
- No Accounting for Taste: See below.
- Ship Tease: With Magi and Kiritsubo of all people.
- Shoot the Dog: When she first meets Kaoru, Momiji is willing to engage in unethical behaviour to get her objectives. Then Kaoru tells her that sort of crap won't fly.
- Team Mom
- Teleporters and Transporters
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Sanae KobayashiAn esper that was liberated from Black Phantom by PANDRA.
- Shipper on Deck: Pretty much every time two guys seem friendly with each other.
- Super Smoke
- Yaoi Fangirl
Voiced by: Wataru HatanoAn esper that was raised by Magi and PANDRA.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets no respect from the rest of PANDRA.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Make Me Wanna Shout
- The Rival: To Sakaki
Voiced by: Kenta MiyakeA telepath, and Mio's bodyguard.
- Badass Beard: It's whats under the bandages.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Bandaged Face: The lower half of his face, it's not explained why.
- Face of a Thug: Actually a pretty nice guy, despite looking like Frankenstein's Monster
- Fights Like a Normal: Since his power isn't that useful for combat.
- Gentle Giant
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A neutral one across his eye
- Monochromatic Eyes: Cream-colored
- The Voiceless: Until he removes the bandages in an omake, though he can talk telepathically before.
Black PhantomThe leader of the organization of the same name, which brainwashes Espers and uses them as assassins.
- Abusive Parents
- Big Bad
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He's always referred to as "Black Phantom", "Boss", "Father", etc.
- Face Framed in Shadow: Initially.
- Fantastic Racism: Hates espers.
- Freudian Excuse: Hates espers, because his wife being one caused her to go brain dead.
- Battle Butler: A notable aversion: despite the way he dresses and his loyalty to Black Phantom, he lacks Psychic Powers or other combat abilities.
Phantom Daughter/Yuri Kumoi/Mirage/PhantomOne of The Children's classmates. Actually Black Phantom's daughter, a Hypno user with a split personality. The Yuri personality knows nothing about Black Phantom and has no special abilities; Mirage, who considers herself the main personality, created her to fool Psychometers.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Black Phantom agents she controls. She's not entirely acting of her own free will either.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- The Dragon: to Black Phantom.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Last Episode, New Character: In the anime, she's introduced at the very end of episode 51. Tono says he doesn't remember who she is, but Chisato says Yuri was at the entrance exams with them.
- Living with the Villain
- Master of Illusion
- Power Trio: Mirage is the superego, Yuri is the ego, and Phantom is the id.
- Split-Personality Merge: currently, in the manga, Yûri's locked memories have awakened from the major's lockdown. As a result, all of her previous personnalities have merged under 'Yûri Kimoi' as the dominant one. She has since decided to erase her existence from the Children's memories to pursue a personnal vendetta against Black Phantom.
NaiA young girl who is a Black Phantom agent.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Though she is broken out of it later.
- Shadow Walker: She can teleport herself or somebody else through a shadow.
- Creepy Child: So brainwashed that she smiles when revealing that Black Phantom has put a device in her forehead that will kill her if Kaoru removes her brainwashing.
- Cute Kitten: Poses as one, though it's an illusion, though she can't do things like go through a cat door.
- Hazy Feel Turn: Joins PANDRA to keep Yuri safe.
- Undying Loyalty: To Yuuri
Ninja HanzoAn adult Black Phantom agent.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The basis of his loyalty to Phantom's Daughter
- Brainwashed and Crazy: He breaks out of it after his defeat.
- Cool Mask: It resembles [[comics/Deathstroke Slade's]]
- Hazy Feel Turn: Joins PANDRA to keep Yuri safe.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Justified by his synthetic Esper powers.
- Otaku: Naruto fanboy. Even whips out the Sharingan once as part of a gag.
- The Quiet One
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When ordered to commit suicide.
- Undying Loyalty: To Phantom's Daughter, not to Black Phantom
GilliamA young man who is an agent and son of Black Phantom. Yuri's elder brother.
- Ax-Crazy: Hyobu describes him as the most insane person he has ever met.
- The Dragon: For his father
- Evil Versus Evil: Him versus Hyobu.
- Faux Affably Evil:
- Freudian Excuse: His cruel father treated him as useless garbage his while life.
- Lack of Empathy:
- Omnicidal Maniac: Wants to kill all espers and non-espers
- The Un-Favourite: As a result of not being as powerful an ESPer as his sister.
- You Have Failed Me: Kills his clones for the slightest failure. Except it was an illusion, he considers them too expensive to do that to.
FeatherA mysterious, very powerful Esper whose mind can be transferred between bodies using raremetal quartz. She has amnesia, but has a vague idea that her goal is to "change the future". In love with Minamoto (even more so than everyone else).
- Broke the Rating Scale: Her Psychokinesis is said to be beyond Level 7.
- Grand Theft Me: Does this to Phantom Daughter, although she doesn't really take over, just hide among the other three personalities.
- Meaningful Name: She gets turned into a bird for a while. Actually, her name probably refers to Kaoru's angelic wings.
- Mental Time Travel: She's actually an amalgamation of the memories of all 3 children (and possibly others as well) from the future, with Kaoru as the nexus.
- Mind over Matter
- Superpower Lottery: She has Psychokinesis, Teleportation, AND psychometry, all at Level 7 or higher.
- Wild Card
Voiced by: Kaori FukuharaA level 2 esper who goes to the same school as Kaoru, Shiho, and Aoi does.
- Break the Cutie: She accidentally outs the three girls as espers when they first go to school, which causes some problems for them. She also accidentally read Tono's thoughts about not caring if she was an esper, but when she accidentally reveals it and he finds out later, he gets rather mad at her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She absolutely hates it when Tono mentions not liking her.
- In episode 33, imagining him doing things with Kaoru when the two get lost looking for the latter's lunch during a class field trip gets her rather angry.
- In episode 50, he gives his notebook to her so she can take notes, then asks Mio to share hers with him. Chisato is absolutely furious about that turn of events.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She is unaware of the Children's association with BABEL. Anytime she tries to pry into it, they give her some rather vague answers.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: To Tono.
Voiced by: Rina SatoA young boy who's attending the same school as the girls.
- Butt-Monkey: He's sometimes on the receiving end of the girl's anger, sometimes deserved, other times not so much, especially with Kaoru.
- Fantastic Racism: He despises espers at first, and nearly gets into a fight with Kaoru over it. However, he seems to lose this trait as the series goes on.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Like Chisato, he's unaware that they work for BABEL and are actually more powerful espers than they claim to be. It helps that the girls obey Minamoto's order to not use their powers at school, such as when Kaoru wanted to blast him to the other side of the classroom after provoking her into a fight.
- Muggle: He is absolutely normal unlike some of the girls in his class.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: While it's strongly hinted that he does have feelings for Chisato and hangs out with her quite a bit, he will often deny this if it's brought up.
- Worthy Opponent: Views Kaoru as one after she manages to play him to a draw in a game of dodgeball.