Characters: Zettai Karen Children
open/close all folders
BABEL provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Expy: Minamoto to Professor Utonium, Shiho to Bubbles, Kaoru and Aoi to Buttercup and Blossom respectively (though their personal appearances are inverted).
- Kid Heroines: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Pretty much all of the young espers in BABEL, such as Kaoru, Shiho, Aoi, and Hatsune.
- Power Trio: Kaoru, Aoi, Shiho
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Shiho, Aoi, and Kaoru.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Shiho, Aoi, and Kaoru
- Freudian Trio
- Nice, Mean and In-between: Aoi (Nice), Kaoru (Mean), Shiho (Inbetween)
- Same-Sex Triplets
- Town Girls:
- Butch: Kaoru
- Femme: Shiho
- Neither: Aoi
- Above the Influence: Despite the persistent efforts of The Children (and Kyosuke, and Fujiko, and the entire free world...).
- Action Survivor: While he can put up some fight, he's not nearly as powerful as the espers are, and usually has to rely on them to fight other espers.
- Awesome by Analysis: Due to his intellect, he can usually figure out some of the things going on simply based on the evidence he sees.
- Badass Normal: subverted in the pilot chapter where he's (although completely oblivious of it) a level 7 anti anti ESP-er link... which still makes him a normal guy... but in the serialized manga (and anime) he is just a Normal.
- Batman Gambit: His most common means of surviving in a world filled with people of mass destruction
- Beware the Nice Ones: When pressed about his old college girlfriend, he gets extremely defensive about it, to the point that even high level espers were scared of him.
- Butt Monkey: Minamoto starts out this way in the manga, being thrown into walls by Kaoru at the slightest provocation, taking the fall for the Children's collateral damage, or being messed with by Kyosuke.
- Celibate Hero: Minamoto's life revolves around keeping The Children safe and happy. On the rare occasions when does manage a date he's completely clueless.
- Chick Magnet: Many of the females in the series are drawn to him. Some comment on his good looks, while others like him because he's a Nice Guy. He's not Oblivious to Love either, he's mostly Above the Influence regarding the Children, and for the others he just simply doesn't have time to date due to his workload with BABEL and the girls.
- Deconstruction: Minamoto of all people experiences this when he learns from Feather that he kills Kaoru in the Bad Future out of Mad Love for her.
- Cunning Linguist: English, Russian, German, French, Italian, Chinese; and some proficiency with Spanish and Korean.
- Even the Guys Want Him: In-Universe. Everyone wants Minamoto; among others, Kyosuke, Sakaki and Okama.
- Fermats Last Theorem: Apparently he found a ''new'' proof for it as a boy because he was asked to.
- Guile Hero: Wins using brainpower.
- Heroic Willpower: Strong enough to resist the more drastic forms of mind control Kyosuke tries to inflict on him.
- House Wife: According to Sakaki, he'll "make a good bride."
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: The girls discover that he was incredibly smart for someone his age when examining an old class picture. Other kids didn't like being outshone by him in class and gradually ostracized him for it. Because of this, despite being a normal human, he is able to sympathize with the plight espers face due to their powers.
- Lolicon: He's not but everyone else either thinks he is or wants him to be one.
- Minored In Ass Kicking: When he's not fighting someone way over his league, such as a high level esper, he can put up a decent fight.
- Morality Chain: Initially. Later on in the series The Children become mature enough to make their own decisions.
- Mr. Fanservice: Photographs of Minamoto in his unmentionables are popular among BABEL's female staff.
- Nice Guy: Aside from him disciplining the girls for rude behavior, he is generally this.
- Only Sane Employee: He's one of the only ones who generally doesn't go overboard with his actions. The BABEL chief, in contrast, tends to overreact towards the girls and anything they do.
- Ooc Is Serious Business: No matter how strong, influential or cute you are. No matter even if you are his employer. Make Minamoto snap and you will surely regret it.
- As an example, when Fujiko tries to ask him about his old girlfriend from college, he tries to skirt the issue. When Sakaki tries to answer it for them, he knocks his friend out, and later when pressed on it, he gets rather angry, and everyone, even high level espers like Kaoru, were quite scared of him.
- Otaku: a very high functioning one. The man squees like a six year old when he goes to a space museum.
- Papa Wolf: He tends to get rather protective of the girls anytime they're ordered to do something he deems a bit out of their league, such as having Shiho help the police with unsolved cases by having her touch items recovered from the crime scene, such as a kitchen knife. And especially anytime Hyobu approaches them.
- Parental Substitute: He is a full time parental figure and role model to at least five very powerful ESPers.
- Poor Communication Kills: Chooses not to share the full details of the prophecy where he kills Kaoru. Hard to blame him, but it still leads to lots of misunderstandings and hilarity.
- Screw Destiny: Minamoto actively tries to avert a prediction made where he has to kill Kaoru in the future.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: There is a time Minamoto gets so angry at The Children that he considers calling quits on being their guardian. Little he knew that in their case making them cry hopelessly is not recommended.
- Sexy Mentor: Male example.
- Single Girls Seek Good Man: Minamoto's the first person who has ever shown the Children any genuine respect, love or kindness. They all fall in love with him.
- Supreme Chef: The man can cook anything. Anywhere.
- The Strategist: He usually formulates a lot of the plans that BABEL takes. And they usually succeed.
- Team Chef: Is quite a good cook. Sakaki at one point jokes that he'll "make a good wife someday" to someone.
- Team Dad: He's essentially this for the girls.
- Tsundere: Type B, and completely understandable in his situation.
- Unwanted Harem: Aside from the three girls he supervises, he's also got several other females that at least show hints of interest in him, such as the Double Face girls and Kaoru's mother and sister.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: To Kaoru, though the usual gender roles are reversed.
- Wife Husbandry: Zigzagged. He's not trying to do this, but the kids want him to, not that they want him to wait that long. Everyone else thinks he's trying to, Fujiko wants him to, and in the future, one way or another he'll end up with Kaoru.
- Yuuichi Nakamura
- A-Cup Angst: She's quite upset with her flat chest whenever Mary is around, especially when the latter points this out.
- Anything That Moves: Kaoru loves the ladies, but that doesn't prevent her from hitting on several males.
- Aya Hirano
- Berserk Button: Do not hurt her friends. Ever.
- That goes double for the one she loves. Hurt Minamoto, suffer horribly.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She tends to feel this way anytime someone other than her makes a move on Minamoto. She also gets this way to a lesser degree with Shiho and Aoi.
- Dark Messiah: According to the prophecy, she will lead espers in a war against humans before Minamoto kills her.
- Depraved Bisexual: Borderline case, and Played for Laughs. She gets better about it as she gets older.
- Dirty Old Man: Called this on several occasions.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Tomboy that she is, she gets this a fair bit. Usually from girls she's not chasing after, though.
- Fiery Redhead
- Freudian Excuse: Averted. Despite some horrific treatment at Suma's hands, a prejudice, as well as a childhood of being feared by her family, Kaoru is a kind hearted person. Even as a villain, her stated goal is protecting ESPers rather than hatred of the human race. Still, it's lucky she met Minamoto when she did.
- Future Badass
- Genki Girl
- Girliness Upgrade: After the Time Skip
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Large Ham: The way she speaks at times tends to Chew the Scenery, especially when Calling Your Attacks.
- Likes Older Women
- Living MacGuffin: Kaoru's the prize for BABEL and PANDRA. Whether the prophecy is fulfilled is up to her, so both sides work very hard to win her heart and mind.
- Loveable Sex Maniac
- The McCoy
- Mind over Matter
- Playing with Fire
- No Sense of Personal Space: In episode 50, she sits right next to Minamoto in class to share a notebook. Both Aoi and Shiho are rather angry at the turn of events.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Shipper on Deck: She does this a couple of times:
- Smitten Teenage Girl: After the Time Skip for Minamoto
- Took a Level in Kindness: While she still a Jerk Ass at times, she's not as much of one as the show goes on, partly due to Character Development, but mostly because of Minamoto's influence on the girls.
- Tsundere: Child Kaoru is Type A, Adult Kaoru is Type B. She progressed to Mixed after the Time Skip.
- Ax-Crazy: Her dark side.
- Berserk Button: Don't piss her off or criticize her friends.
- Blessed with Suck: As a psychometer, she can read people's darkest secrets and feelings, leading her to have a very cynical view of people and also leading many people to being afraid of touching her.
- Blood Knight
- Broken Bird: Shiho mentions in one of her arcs that she learned very early on what kind of a world she lives in. Later, for laughs, she frequently Lampshades that she's a "dark" character.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She has shades of this towards Minamoto, and like Kaoru and Aoi, will go to great lengths to find out why he's not paying enough attention to them. Even if it's a mission related task, such as schmoozing with Sakaki to see if the latter was really a spy.
- Covert Pervert: Knows quite a bit about what goes on behind closed doors, and is not afraid to make completely age-inappropriate comments from time to time.
- Creepy Child: As with Osaka, this aspect of her personality is often played for laughs...except when it isn't.
- Cute and Psycho: She's a sweet-looking little girl, but even her "good" side is a sociopath who enjoys hurting animals when she gets an excuse.
- Dark Action Girl: Her dark side.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tends to do this during non-serious moments.
- The Empath
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Shiho really loves that taser of hers...
- Good Is Not Soft: More like rough instead of "not soft", and this is before she reverts to her dark side.
- The Gunslinger: Before the timeskip, Shiho uses a two shot derringer. It is a kid's version.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: One manifestation of her psychometry.
- In the Blood: Her dark side.
- The Kirk
- Mind Over Manners: Averted. Shiho is not above using her powers to jerk Minamoto's chain, or even lie about what she sees in his mind to get him in trouble for no reason.
- Mystical White Hair
- Pay Evil unto Evil: She uses brute and destructive measures to solve any problems.
- Purple Is Powerful
- Precocious Crush: Like the other girls, she's crushing on Minamoto. She mostly expresses it by messing with his head and getting him in trouble.
- Stepford Smiler: Very mildly, all things considered. IF she doesn't want to deal with you, she'll smile, listen politely, and ignore you until you go away.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Her dark side, and inherited from her mother.
- Token Evil Teammate: She feels she's this a lot of times due to her ability to read people's thoughts.
- Touch Telepathy: How Shiho's powers generally work. She's a powerful user of Psychometry, which allows her to read a person's mind or understand how objects have been used by holding them.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior
- Unscrupulous Heroine
- White Hair, Black Heart: Her dark side
- Why Did It Have To Be Ghosts
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, she has this look from time to time, such as when Muscle Okama tried to hit on Minamoto. She threatened to shoot him in the groin.
The leader of BABEL in terms of most day to day matters.
Taizo's secretary, who's often seen with him.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Can turn out this way at times when the Chief does some over the top things.
- Beware the Nice Ones:
- Christmas Cake: Implied, as people try to set her up on dates.
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: She acts like this towards Taizo when he starts veering off from his actual job of running BABEL.
- Covert Pervert: Is implied to be attracted to Minamoto
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In a supplement chapter
- Hyper Competent Sidekick: She gets a lot of things done around BABEL when Taizo is goofing off or doing things he really shouldn't be, such as spying on the girls while on a date with a boy. She even gets the Japanese government off of BABEL's back when they question why they're spending so much money on the organization. Due to her sincerity and hospitality, they all agree that it's a necessary function and allow more funding for them.
- Mission Control: She often performs this role for Minamoto and the girls, providing them with intel for their mission.
- Nice Girl:
- Office Flower: A Higher ranked example
- Only Sane Employee: Other than Minamoto, she seems to be the only one that can usually get things done around work. Certainly when Minamoto isn't around.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Mostly thanks to Kaoru
- Sexy Secretary:
- She's Got Legs: Especially pronounced due to her skirt.
BABEL's chief physician and Minamoto's close friend.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He's a little jealous that the Children have Minamoto as a mentor. Growing up, he didn't have anyone like that, and like all espers, he was ostracized too, so often hung out by himself. However, once he meets Minamoto, and sees a human that genuinely wants to befriend espers, he starts to become more likable.
- Big Brother Mentor: Attempts to be this to Tim Toy and Bullet. He will also occasionally watch over the girls if Minamoto is unable to for whatever reason.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: [[spoiler: By Black Phantom's Gilliam, though it is like a cancer instead of hypnotism.
- Casanova Wannabe: While it's strongly hinted at that he has a lot of girl's numbers, the ones he tries to hit on onscreen usually turn him down, such as the Double Face girls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He may be perverted, but he will still help where he's needed, especially if it's Minamoto or the girls.
- Combat Pragmatist: He doesn't mind using drugs to sedate his opponent, since he doesn't have any real offensive esper abilities like Kaoru and Aoi do.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Comes off as a skirt chaser and a slacker... until you threaten his friends.
- Digging to China:He can use his psychometry through the Earth to reach Brazil, which is not impossible considering where he was at the moment.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Just a subtle one, but he mentions to Shiho that he's a little jealous that she got to meet someone like Minamoto who goes through a lot of trouble to protect her, Aoi, and Kaoru. By comparison, he had no one like that to rely on growing up, so grew kind of jaded and bitter. Until he punched Minamoto at college and saw someone who looked like he cared about espers despite being a normal person.
- Healing Hands: His psychometry greatly enhances his abilities as a doctor.
- Inconvenient Hippocratic Oath: In episode 32, after meeting his old college professor at a secret fishing spot, the latter taunts him for being a bad student. He then suffers a stroke, and while Shiho says he got what he deserved, Sakaki mentions that he still has to do what he can to help save the old man's life. In the end he seems to have done so, and also grown a little closer to Shiho, who up to that point was largely confrontational to him.
- Jerk Ass Facade: His personality before meeting Minamoto.
- Mind Over Manners: In contrast to Shiho, Sakaki uses his powers more or less ethically. (He does examine his female patients' chests a little more often than he should, but in BABEL that's negligible.)
- Minored In Ass Kicking: Rarely participates in combat, but is more than proficient when he does. This includes sedating opponents stronger than him.
- The Resenter: Mildly. Sakaki barely conceals his wishes that he had a parent/mentor figure like Minamoto, and can get catty with Shiho over it.
- Unknown Rival: To Shiho.
Another ESPer on BABEL's payroll who occasionally assists the children in the field.
Naomi's supervisor, and would be suitor
One of the members of Hound, and Hatsune's childhood friend. His power is metempsychosis
The second member of Hound, with a metamorphic synthetic power.
An Esper brainwashed by Black Phantom
Another of Black Phantom's victims who finds himself on Babel's pay roll.
The official head of BABEL. An esper from the earlier generation and knows Kyosuke from back then. Voiced by Yukana
- Absolute Cleavage: Her default outfit reveals her rather ample chest.
- Always Someone Better: Kyosuke was this to her when they were children.
- Anything That Moves
- Bait-and-Switch Tyrant: Starts out by taking Minamoto off duty, but while it's something of a dick move on her part, it's actually a Secret Test of Character, and she does become somewhat less nasty afterwards.
- Big Good: She was one of the original leaders who built BABEL with the hope that normal humans would see espers as people instead of freaks.
- Big Sister Bully/Cool Big Sis: Alternated between the two for Kyosuke in the past.
- Bisexual Energy Vampire
- Berserk Button: Do not remind her how old she is...
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She founded an organization like BABEL. Of course she's completely nuts.
- Cute and Psycho: She doesn't let up with the Kawaiiko act, even when she's discussing shooting someone.
- Depraved Bisexual: Played for Laughs.
- Gainaxing: Happens quite a bit in the anime thanks to her rather large bust.
- Horny Devils: She lives by draining Life Energy through kisses (and, it's implied, This and That too).
- Kawaiiko: She really overdoes the cute sometimes, even though she's a bit too old for it.
- Lolicon: She steals The Children's Sacred First Kiss. Generally doesn't have much of an issue with that "age of consent" thing. (Or that consent thing, for that matter.)
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Ms. Fanservice
- OOC Is Serious Business: She's usually laid back, but if she puts on a serious face, watch out, as Hyobu found out first hand. While she claims she's not as powerful as he is, she still dished out a Curb-Stomp Battle to him, and he was only saved because PANDRA members came to bail him out.
- Omniscient Morality License: Of course she's going to screw with Kaoru and Minamoto's lives, because it's the only way to Screw Destiny.
- Older Than They Look: She's in her 80s...
- Person of Mass Destruction: She's nearly a match for Kyosuke in power.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While she may not look like it, she allows her subordinates quite a bit of freedom to perform tasks and missions however they see fit. She also provides them with help from time to time, although upon first impression it may not look like it, such as when she was trying to train Minamoto to grow closer to the girls.
- Shipper on Deck: Minamoto/The Children OT4.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Takes a nap after founding BABEL, and only wakes up in the second season.
- Sociopathic Hero
- Stay in the Kitchen: When she was younger, she defied this trope by joining the ESPer special unit.
- The Tease: She likes to do this to Minamoto...a lot. Which doesn't sit well with Aoi, Shiho, or Kaoru...
- Third-Person Person: When she thinks she's being cute.
- Tsundere: Type A as a teenager.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?
- Your Days Are Numbered
A group of rogue Espers dedicated to securing ESPer supremacy, often through violent means.
A young level 6 teleporter in PANDRA. Mio spends a great deal of time trying to gain Kaoru's affection without admitting
that she wants to be friends.
- Affably Evil: While her introduction was rather violent, kidnapping Minamoto to force Kaoru into a showdown, she is a rather incompetent villain. Even when he was kidnapped, Minamoto ends up cooking some decent food for her after noticing she just ate instant noodles. He even cleans her clothes for her after recommending she take a much needed bath as well.
- And Your Little Dog Too: Frequently makes threats against against Kaoru before she admits that she really wants Karou's friendship.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Hyobu showed kindness to her when she was younger, hence why she willingly joined him and worships him.
- Body Horror: Her first fight has her teleportation powers run amok.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Hates Kaoru because of the attention Hyobu gives the former over her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied.
- Dark Magical Girl: Much more vicious than The Children.
- The Ditz: Can be a bit slow to realize things like "having no air will kill you."
- Green-Eyed Monster: Mio resents that The Children, Kaoru especially, received many opportunities that she was denied.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Rie Kugimiya
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When Minamoto washes her clothes and she takes a bath.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Until Kyosuke reorganized PANDRA, Mio was living in a cabin, on her own, eating virtually nothing but ramen.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Her teleportation allows her to teleport only a part instead of the whole like the others. The parts are still connected and if they are too far apart or too far away from Mio, they will reattach on one side.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: To Kaoru.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Kyosuke's right hand man and secretary.
Masuo "Muscle Okama" Ookama
One of PANDRA's ESPers and Mio's most frequent partner in crime.
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime gives him stronger motives for Face-Heel Turn, making him more sympathetic.
- Blessed with Suck: In episode 21 of the anime, he tells Hyobu he was constantly being ignored, such as being skipped over for attendance in class, which he exploits by taking pictures of Babel employees without their knowledge. He then says he has to practically punch someone in the face before they'll even notice him, which also comes back to bite him when Kaoru nearly walks over him while he's spying on Oboro Kashiwagi.
- The Dog Bites Back: Being always mocked for his hobbies by Sakaki makes it that much easier for him to join PANDRA for good; he nearly murders Sakaki in the process.
- In the anime, BABEL really had it coming when Kaoru blackmailed him into building an anatomically-correct Oboro doll for her, then just left him holding the bag when it was discovered, causing him to lose out on his chance to ask out the girl he really liked, Ranko Kaneko, who then subsequently goes on a date with Sakaki after she misinterpreted the accusations that he liked Kashiwagi.
- Face-Heel Turn: While he was a spy for Hyobu in the first place, he never actively worked against BABEL until the Trauma Conga Line he suffers from them. He then tries to frame Sakaki as a spy, and after that fails, openly joins PANDRA.
- Freudian Excuse: His coworkers' general disdain for his hobby gives him another reason to spy on them for PANDRA.
- Marionette Master: As an esper, Kugutsu can manipulate dolls with life-like accuracy. Also, this.
- Otaku: A doll/figurine otaku to boot. Never to be seen without a
- The Mole: In episode 21 of the anime, it's revealed that he's the one giving intel on BABEL espers to Hyobu.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Subverted. Kugutsu is truly appreciated in PANDRA for his abilities, otakuism notwithstanding.
- Spoof Aesop: for Tim and Bullet's sake.
- Start of Darkness: After suffering a humiliating Trauma Conga Line thanks largely to Kaoru in episode 21 of the anime, he vows revenge on all the people who humiliated him, and worse, ruined his chances of giving a Love Confession to Ranko Kaneko, a BABEL technician and girl he was really interested in.
A PANDRA ESPer who is another one of Kyosuke's primary assistants.
An esper that was raised by Magi and PANDRA
A telepath, and Mio's bodyguard
The leader of the organization of the same name, which brainwashes Espers and uses them as assassins.
- Battle Butler: A notable aversion: despite the way he dresses and his loyalty to Black Phantom, he lacks Psychic Powers or other combat abilities.
Phantom Daughter/Yuri Kumoi/Mirage/Phantom
One of The Children's classmates. Actually Black Phantom's daughter, a Hypno user with a split personality. The Yuri personality knows nothing about Black Phantom and has no special abilities; Mirage, who considers herself the main personality, created her to fool Psychometers.
A young girl who is a Black Phantom agent.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Though she is broken out of it later.
- Shadow Walker: She can teleport herself or somebody else through a shadow.
- Creepy Child: So brainwashed that she smiles when revealing that Black Phantom has put a device in her forehead that will kill her if Kaoru removes her brainwashing.
- Cute Kitten: Poses as one, though it's an illusion, though she can't do things like go through a cat door.
- Hazy Face Turn: Joins PANDRA to keep Yuri safe.
- Undying Loyalty: To Yuuri
An adult Black Phantom agent.
A young man who is an agent and son of Black Phantom. Yuri's elder brother.
A mysterious, very powerful Esper whose mind can be transferred between bodies using raremetal quartz. She has amnesia, but has a vague idea that her goal is to "change the future". In love with Minamoto (even more so than everyone else). Originally implied to be Kaoru from the future, she's actually an amalgamation of the memories of all 3 children (and possibly others as well) from the future, with Kaoru as the nexus.
A level 2 esper who goes to the same school as Kaoru, Shiho, and Aoi does.
- Break the Cutie: She accidentally outs the three girls as espers when they first go to school, which causes some problems for them. She also accidentally read Tono's thoughts about not caring if she was an esper, but when she accidentally reveals it and he finds out later, he gets rather mad at her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl:
- She absolutely hates it when Tono mentions not liking her.
- In episode 33, imagining him doing things with Kaoru when the two get lost looking for the latter's lunch during a class field trip gets her rather angry.
- In episode 50, he gives his notebook to her so she can take notes, then asks Mio to share hers with him. Chisato is absolutely furious about that turn of events.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She is unaware of the Children's association with BABEL. Anytime she tries to pry into it, they give her some rather vague answers.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: To Tono.
A young boy who's attending the same school as the girls.
- Butt Monkey: He's sometimes on the receiving end of the girl's anger, sometimes deserved, other times not so much, especially with Kaoru.
- Fantastic Racism: He despises espers at first, and nearly gets into a fight with Kaoru over it. However, he seems to lose this trait as the series goes on.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Like Chisato, he's unaware that they work for BABEL and are actually more powerful espers than they claim to be. It helps that the girls obey Minamoto's order to not use their powers at school, such as when Kaoru wanted to blast him to the other side of the classroom after provoking her into a fight.
- Muggle: He is absolutely normal unlike some of the girls in his class.
- Worthy Opponent: Views Kaoru as one after she manages to play him to a draw in a game of dodgeball.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: While it's strongly hinted that he does have feelings for Chisato and hangs out with her quite a bit, he will often deny this if it's brought up.