Characters: Keychain of Creation
Character sheet for Keychain of Creation
The Original Four
Misho (Twilight Caste Solar)
"I'm not used to not knowing something."
The intelligent, compassionate leader of the band and initiator of the quest. He has perfect memories of his life in the First Age, but no memory of his current life before Exaltation.
- Badass Bookworm: He is quite the bookworm, but being a Solar, he's by definition Badass.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Calling Your Attacks
- Can't Hold His Liquor
- Celibate Hero
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: A rather bad case, Misho being a chronic sufferer for over a millennium. If things get bad enough though, he slips into Samaritan Syndrome which never works out well. Luckily he has a fairly well-seasoned Heroic Safe Mode just in case this happened (although it doesn't always work).
- Cure For Cancer: Thinks it's easy.
- The Hero and main protagonist.
- Heroic BSOD: Several times due to the Great Curse.
- Improbable Weapon User: His "sword" is a giant magical key.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: He certainly comes across this way — not that having 5 Compassion isn't sometimes a serious problem...
- Informed Ability: Misho favors Awareness as an ability. We're reminded of this every time he fails an Awareness roll.
- It's Personal: Misho has a particular hatred for the Raksha. The exact reasons are unspecified, but they include having murdered his son (or rather, murdering the son of his original incarnation. It's complicated...).
- Magic Knight: He's a Twilight Caste and a sorcerer.
- Meaningful Name: Twice over, no less.
"And one of these kings was called Misho, and he was named Thrice-Radiant. To his peers, this was for his sorcery, his memory, and his swordsmanship. To the common people, it was for his insight, his charisma, and his compassion."
Secret: How many merits do you have?!?
- Also subverted. He's got amnesia of his Pre-Exalted life, and Nightmares ("It's not worth the three points.") Oh, and the Eidetic Memory resulted from his sacrifice of ignorance to gain the third circle of Sorcery. Which is part of what led to his lonely death in his first incarnation.
- Mysterious Past: While from a munchkin perspective an Exalt not remembering his pre-Exalted life is normal, it's very odd for a character. Lampshaded.
Secret: ...you realize that is extremely suspicious.
Misho: Yes, we've discussed it. At length.
Marena: I've got ten obols on robot clone!
Ten: I'll take a piece of that action!
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: One might get this opinion from his adamant refusal to Marena's advances, but it's actually because he doesn't want a Friends with Benefits relationship like she wants. He wants a full-on Relationship Upgrade.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Misho was already a sufferer of Chronic Hero Syndrome when he first reigned in the First Age, but then he saw the Loom Of Fate and threw himself off the deep end via With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility to become the living embodiment of this trope. His story is not a happy one.
- Save the Villain
- The Smart Guy: As Secret said he "must be some kind of super-genius" and probably is. The eidetic memory helps.
- Stern Teacher: Both played with and played straight when it came to teaching Sorcery.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: He personally forged the Keys, as well as the Blade of Vitality.
Marena of the Red Crescent (Changing Moon Caste Lunar, fox totem)
"There we go... Ready for a night out!"
Original Name: Ragara Marena
A flirtatious, fun-loving, confident woman who is much more than meets the eye.
- Action Mom: Not only is she the Team Mom of the group, but she's looking for her lost daughter.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Generally, no. She's too down to earth for that. But when Misho wants to change the subject away from cutting his hair...
- Attractive Bent-Gender: She's a Lunar; it comes with the territory.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With everyone, but especially with Secret and Misho.
- Boring but Practical: She doesn't use martial arts or weapons. She hits people with large rocks.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Totally normal for a Southerner, but her personality fits the trope.
- Extreme Omnisexual
- Fantastic Arousal: Her fox ears, although this trope's only been visited once in the comic so far. Shown here.
- Foxy Grandma: She might not be a grandma yet, but she's thirty eight years old (46 in Earth years, which is a lot given the expected lifespan of mortals in Creation), and according to Secret, doesn't look a day out of her twenties. That, and the fox part is quite literal. Of course, being a Celestial Exalted and barring death or horrible mutation, she's going to maintain that figure for the next thousand years and more. In fact, by the game rules, those tattoos mean only death can take that figure away from her. 'Cause, you know, this is Exalted.
- Guile Hero: Doesn't stop her from kicking ass on occasion, but she is definitely not the action type.
- The Lancer: To Misho.
- Loveable Sex Maniac
- Love Is in the Air: Her pheromones have this effect.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Her actual father is unclear, since her mother gets around as much as she does.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- Despite being a stick figure, she supplies plenty of Fanservice and is proud of it. For instance, she doesn't need a Transformation Sequence to change clothes, but she prefers it. See here and here.
- Take a close look. She's not wearing anything behind that "Forward" sign!
- Ms. Vice Girl: Marena's lack of sexual ethics is called out by Secret, and she's not remotely chivalrous about it, but she's otherwise not that bad of a person.
- Petting Zoo People: Fox ears and tail.
- Really Gets Around: Seen here. Apparently it's In the Blood, see Aria, below.
- Team Mom: She can be really motherly with Secret and Misho.
- Training from Hell: Grew up with the sociopolitical version of this.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension
Secret (Day Caste Abyssal)
"It's okay! I'm still not dead!"
Full Name: The Most Secret And Sorrowful Of The Bearers Of The Endless Destiny Of All Creation Which Wander Amidst Forgotten Sights And Fallen Tears Along The Tread Of Ancient Ashen Footsteps Through The Shadow Of That Which Comes And Into That Riotous Cacophony Which Births All Fools And Steals All Beauty, Who Heralds Through Her Silence The Stillness And Chill Of Those Who Were Not Born And Who Will Fade ‘Till All Things Fall And In That Most Grim Harvest Form The Final Restful Tomb Of All Awakened Life And All The Sleepless De- (At this point she collapsed.)
Original Name: Dernelle
A renegade Deathknight, formerly in service to the Silver Prince, who hasn't yet felt able to live up to her Exaltation.
- Accidental Pervert: Also a Funny Background Event
- A-Cup Angst: Though it usually only comes up when Marena needles her about it.
- Badass Adorable: Meek, timid, and deadly to anything living.
- Boring but Practical: DODGE CHARMS are good for just about everything.
- Butt Monkey: If anyone's gonna get picked on, it's usually Secret.
- Character Tics: Touching her necklace when she's anxious
- The Chick
- Corrupt the Cutie: How she got where she is today.
- Covert Pervert:
- She takes notes when she discovers Marena's weak points.
- As of #354, she is also known to spy on Marena while invisible. For "reasons."
- Suggested using a twin switch to help Karen catch Ten Winds.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dark Is Not Evil: She was pretty crappy at the whole "doomy harbinger of the death of all reality" thing.
- Deal with the Devil
- Defector from Decadence: Though as a renegade Deathknight there's a limit to how far she can get away from what she's become. She's prone to the occasional Resonance blowout.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength:
- Secret seems to have... a little too much aptitude with Water Dragon Style. She has the same problem with Sorcery.
- Since her backstory exposition, we also know that when she Exalted, the Silver Prince made sure to fetch her with his two best Deathknights. Secret's hiding some Essence!
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Enemy to All Living Things: As a renegade Deathknight, any living creature she may happen to care about has a distinct possibility of simply dropping dead from the wrath of the Neverborn.
- Fish out of Water: She's basically a normal girl forced to be something horrible.
- Fragile Speedster: Has no Stamina. Can't take a hit. Has DODGE CHARMS that ensure that she never gets hit.
- Heroic Bastard: Explaining her strong feelings on Marena's homewrecking.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Needs to drink the blood of sentient creatures to regain Essence.
- Meaningful Rename: It comes with being an Abyssal. She had to cast aside her original name and take a new one.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Disappointed to find out that she doesn't need to drink blood to regain Essence in the crashed Manse.
- Overly Long Name: As seen above, she is unable to recite the entirety of it without passing out.
- Perky Goth: Sorta, especially what with her secret affection for Caramelldansen. Spoilered because it's funnier that way.
- Shrinking Violet
- Slapstick Knows No Gender
- Training from Hell: All her raised stats seem to take this.
- The Undead: Abyssals aren't technically dead, but they're quite close to it.
- Walking Wasteland: She's prone to the occasional Resonance blowout as noted before, causing birds to die and the like.
- The Watson
Ten Winds (Air Aspect Terrestrial)
Formerly a monk in the Immaculate Order, who left because he grew disillusioned with the Order, and because he enjoyed the pleasures of the world a bit too much. At least, that's what he originally said. While it's true to an extent, he was originally an aide to the Bronze Faction as well, and a member of the Realm's Secret Police, the All-Seeing Eye. He left because he was tired of his life being a spy novel, not because he wanted to drink (which he probably did a lot of, being essentially James Bond).
Taciturn, wry, resolute.
- The Ace: Even for an Exalt, the guy is amazing at what he does.
- The Alcoholic: Helps him out in the conflict with Nova. Other times... not so much.
- Amazon Chaser: Contrary to popular misconception, he does not know everyone in Creation, only the "powerful and attractive women."
- Badass: You're saying this guy is an all-powerful martial artist despite being of a weaker character type than other Exalts, he knows almost everyone important in Creation, and he's an Expy of James Bond? Holy shit, is this guy badass!
- Badass Grandpa: All Exalts are Badasses, but Ten is old enough that his age has started showing (though his hair color comes of good breeding rather than age).
- The Big Guy: With several Immaculate dragon styles under his belt and centuries of experience kicking ass, he does more of the fighting than the Celestials in the circle. He's also the only one who can safely reveal his power when they enter the Blessed Isle.
- Blow You Away: Sometimes combined with Shock and Awe and An Ice Person. Terrestrial Elemental Powers are generally more literal than in the game, due to the nature of the medium.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Averted and played straight. Imbibing some apparently pretty punchy stuff, including a strong sedative, does not seem to affect him. At other times he takes a swig and falls down. Then he sneaks off for a drink every other panel sometimes...
- Defector from Decadence: Sort of. In another sense, a defector to decadence — Immaculate monks aren't allowed alcohol. Then played perfectly straight when we find out he wasn't really a monk.
- Dynamic Entry: Flying on screen with a cry of Justice!
- Expy: He's essentially what would happen if James Bond retired.
- From a Certain Point of View: His original backstory.
- Old Master:
- Badass enough that a Sidereal thinks twice before fighting him. Probably because he knows that particular Sidereal.
- He's trained in, and is capable of teaching, several Celestial Martial Arts styles. Most Dragon Blooded never get around to learning even one.
- He's a sorcerer on top of all that, as evidenced when he mentions offhandedly that he could teach Secret and Marena how to summon demons.
- Papa Wolf: Strip #241. Nemen Yi may have ripped through Ben's entire band without breaking stride, but now she's made the mistake of threatening Secret, and Ten Winds is pissed.
- The Quiet One: His comment on the situation is often "..."
- Team Dad: Fills this role at times.
- Weak, but Skilled: Dragon-Blooded are the weakest of the Exalted, but Ten is easily one of the toughest characters in the comic. It helps that he's an elder.
Allies and Associates
Karen (Dawn Caste Solar)
"..." (does not speak)
Full Name: Ragara Karen
Marena's twin sister. She Exalted to save Marena from Immaculate Monks and later traded her voice to a demon
to join the Silver Pact to be with her sister.
A shape-changing soulsteel weapon
that travels with Secret but is only barely under her control.
- And I Must Scream: Cluivnarihe herself seems to have been a spirit, but the sword is also made with soulsteel forged from thousands of mortal ghosts, involving the usual eternal torment.
- Empathic Weapon: Mostly, she's a jerk. A jerk with a literal heart and soul of steel and her own backstory. Then again, the love of her life and unlife did leave her behind with a barely-competent Abyssal.
- The Farmer and the Viper: In life, it was her nature to turn and bite everyone, friend or foe. Kind of made it hard to make friends, until she met a Solar who enjoyed the challenge of defending himself from her. In death, she hasn't changed. Secret has to feed her blood to keep her "tame."
- Jerkass: To Secret, at least, she's snarking and bitchy.
- Morph Weapon: Usually she's a sword or bow, but she can theoretically be other things. Secret stores her as a belt.
Racer (Full Moon Caste Lunar, horse totem)
"Suddenly, my lady-sense is tingling!"
Marena's old teacher and, it seems, occasional lover.
Servants of the First and Forsaken Lion
Resonance Ben (Midnight Caste Abyssal)
"Ah right, the eyes. Hey, who needs them, right?"
Full Name: The Conductor of the Cacophonic Steel Chorus. Faux Affably Evil
blind Musical Assassin
Flame (Daybreak Caste Abyssal)
"I've got a bone to pick with you..."
Full Name: The Forgotten Flame of Endless Unmarked Years.
In the author's words: "[a] south-american-style mummy dishing out kung fu action." With soulsteel chainsaw-Khatars
Five Waves' Fury (Full Moon Caste Lunar)
The "Admiral". Seems to have a thing for Flame.
Third Man Born In Readiness
In charge of "Equipment". Bros with Face.
Contagion of Sights
In charge of "Transport". Made an unknown delivery.
Face of the Final Reach
In Charge of "Guerilla" [sic]. Bros with Third.
Nova (Orichalcum Caste Alchemical)
"[...] I can make anyone into a demigod... piece by piece."
Full Name: The Elegant Nova of Progression.
A robotic Mad Scientist
with cyborg mooks
Blossom of Harmonious Ethers (Unknown Caste Alchemical)
One of Nova's two Alchemical Henchmen. She prefers non-violent solutions to problems. Probably a Jade Caste Alchemical, but it's not explicitly said.
Unnamed Gunslinger Alchemical (Unknown Caste Alchemical)
The other of Nova's two Alchemical Henchmen. A once-skilled human, he gave his service to Nova in exchange for exaltation, and handles things if combat is required. Probably a Jade Caste Alchemical, but it's not explicitly said.
- Arm Cannon: A gun in each forearm.
- Badass Cape: He wears a gunslinger's cape, and throws it off before he transforms.
- Badass Gay: Marena's Smells Sexy fails to work on him for this reason.
- Breath Weapon: In Clawstrider form, he breaths fire.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Him and Blossom. He doesn't talk much, and she's a pacifist. Though it's unknown how much he actually 'broods'.
- Force And Finesse: If Blossom's persuasion fails, it's his gun's turn.
- Made In Country X: Just like Blossom, he has the odd problem. Oops, there goes my head again.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Or in this case, gunslinger dinosaur robot. With a hat.
- Nice Hat: Not only does he wear a cool hat, when he transformed into his clawstrider mode, he still wears it.
- Transforming Mecha: Turns from a humanoid robot into a Clawstrider, a raptor-like dinosaur native to creation that runs at fast speeds. Only with guns. And fire breath.
Nemen Yi (Sidereal Chosen of Battles)
"I will judge as a warrior does."
- Appeal to Force: What does she do when called on an error of judgment? Why, settle her confusion by force of arms, of course!
- The Chessmaster: She is a powerful Sidereal.
- Confusion Fu
- Dual Wielding: Wields two Keys at once, after taking the Orichalcum Key from Misho.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual
- Improbable Weapon User:
- Like Misho, she has a magic key instead of a normal sword. Starmetal's exceedingly rare, so her Key seems to be made of starmetal wires.
- Even less probable is her use of broken-off bits of the comic's panel dividers as throwing darts.
- Just as Planned: Exact quote after the seeming debacle of her first active move.
- Medium Awareness: Instead of being played for laughs, she uses it to her Genre Savvy advantage.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: As a Sidereal Exalted, she's expected to be The Chessmaster at all times, operating subtly in the background, stacking the deck in her favor and not acting unless the game is completely rigged in her favor. In her first appearance, however, it becomes clear that while she can play that game if she has to, she really doesn't have the patience to use a scalpel when a hammer will do.
- No Fourth Wall: Or rather, using the Fourth Wall as an Improvised Weapon and playground.
- Properly Paranoid: She won't pass on her duty to guard her Key because anyone powerful enough to guard it would have their own agenda for using it.
- Wild Card: If her boast of "Just as planned" can be believed.
"Lavish meals and fine drinks for everyone!"
Full Name: Sonorous Aria.
Marena and Karen's mother; Queen of Janara; daughter of Kuka-Rem, a god of machination and manipulation. A pleasant and gracious demeanor hides a mind as sharp and strong as a steel blade.
- Consider, though, that one of the primary traits ascribed to her is a penchant for manipulation, so this discrepancy is hardly unexpected...
The King of Uncloaked Steel (Dusk Caste Abyssal)
"Stop running away, you pansies! It's only a little violent dismemberment!"
A Deathknight with an enormous appetite for combat and a violent disdain for people who have more power than puissance.
The Mastah (Unknown Aspect Terrestrial)
A one-shot character that was rejected from the group, only to be given his own Spin-Off
by another author.
God of Locks
A deity that was slain by a group of Exalted shortly after the Primordial War. His power was reforged into five not-Keyblades so that locks could continue to work in Creation.
Full Name: Manse of the Ever Watchful Custodian Artificial Intelligence.
A construct left to watch the manse the group travels to in the beginning of the comic.
Fair Folk brothers
A pair of Fair Folk that command an army of goblins. They were attacking a small village near the Wyld until the group forced them to stop.
Unknown Sidereal (Sidereal Chosen of Journeys)
A beleaguered Sidereal that was first shown bringing Ten Winds a horse in comic 108
. Has appeared several times since, talking to Ten, his Sifu, and Nemen Yi.
Resch Dan (Full Moon Caste Lunar, now presumably a chimera)
Misho's Lunar mate, holder of the Moonsilver key. Survived the Usurpation, but not without cost. His status is kept hidden from Misho by Marena.