Characters: Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Characters who have appeared in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.See also:
- Harvest Moon Original Series: The original SNES game
- Harvest Moon Game Boy: The Game Boy/Game Boy Color series (Harvest Moon 3)
- Harvest Moon 64: Harvest Moon 64
- Harvest Moon: Mineral Town: Back to Nature, and Friends of Mineral Town
- Harvest Moon Save The Homeland: Save the Homeland and Hero of Leaf Valley
- Harvest Moon: Magical Melody: Magical Melody
- Harvest Moon DS: Harvest Moon DS and DS Cute
- Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness: Island of Happiness, Sunshine Islands and Frantic Farming
- Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility: Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade
- Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar
- Harvest Moon My Little Shop
- Harvest Moon Tale Of Two Towns
- Harvest Moon A New Beginning: A New Beginning
- Story Of Seasons: Story Of Seasons
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: Even when their face is wrinkled and their hair is gray, the main character's outfit never changes. An old man or woman running around in the clothes they wore as a teenager is...quite an interesting spectacle.
- Anime Hair: Mark.
- Call to Agriculture: Of course. We don't know what they were doing before, but the game starts with them taking over their dad's farm.
- Farm Boy/Girl
- Expy: Mark looks a lot like Pete would without his hat and overalls.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: Most people don't even know their default names.
- Heroic Mime: S/he never says a word - every interaction with another character is done with changing facial expressions, nods or shakes of the head, and occasional charade-like actions. The choices you choose count as dialogue though.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: The gender doesn't affect the character's stamina or anything else; the only difference it makes is the choice of love interests.
- Purple Eyes: Pony.
- Skirt over Slacks: Pony again.
- Aerith and Bob: In a town full of American-friendly names like Chris, Patrick, Celia, and the (Asian) couple Tim and Ruby... there is Takakura.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Cool Old Guy: Takakura in AWL may be silent and more than a little distant with you, but he has the farm's best interest always in mind, and is a sort of father figure to your character after your own dad died in the beginning of the game.
- Eyes Always Shut
TartanA two-headed plant that Takakura grew in his house. If you get the chance to befriend it, it can let you create hybrid crops.
- Motor Mouth: Tartan always tended to talk it's heads off.
- Weaksauce Weakness: It's allergic to carrots. However you can let it analyze carrot seeds.
A traveler who drifted into Forget-Me-Not Valley and then forgot to leave. She lives at the village's inn but is quickly running out of money.
- Aerith and Bob: Not as bad as Takakura, but still.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The latter of the three. (Muffy's the blonde and Celia's the brunette.)
- Broken Bird
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She takes a while to warm up to you. Most of the items she likes are either difficult meals or crops to attain in your first year, or flowers or vegetation that don't appear until fall or winter, causing her to be one of the most difficult to romance.
- Heroes Want Redheads: If you choose her.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- Lost Forever: If you're not good enough friends with her, she'll leave the valley permanently. If you ARE, she'll claim she's leaving the valley forever... but she decides to stay. She likes Forget-Me-Not Valley too much.
- Maternally Challenged: Fights with her son, goes off to the bar every night, and spends most of her days wandering aimlessly outside. The baby will be fine on his own...
- The Snark Knight
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Unkempt Beauty: In AnWL and the DS (Cute) games, she has noticeably shaggier hair compared to AWL.
- Walking the Earth: Has no intention of sticking to one place for long, and had only been lingering in the Valley when you showed up because she liked this place.
A well-to-do orphan who was raised by her grandmother and lives in the villa.
- All There in the Manual: According to the character profiles◊ in Friends of Mineral Town, her parents died in a train wreck.
- The Japanese site for the first game says she was 14. She was aged up in future titles to make her a love interest to Rock and Mark.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a yellow headband.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Unless you do anything about it, the only person she will ever have to talk to is her elderly butler, her high maintenance grandma, or ROCK.
- No Accounting for Taste: In DS, she eventually marries the playboy Rock. Most of their events afterwards involve them getting into fights with one another. (Heck, even their rival events are Slap-Slap-Kiss!)
- Older Than They Look: She's fourteen in the original Japanese Wonderful Life series. She looks like a preteen, though.
- Rags to Riches: Inverted, if you marry her she happily goes from richest girl in town living in an enormous mansion on top of a hill to farmer's wife down by the river.
- However it should be noted that the player character can earn a LOT of money as a farmer. So that inversion can be subverted depending.
- Raised by Grandparents: Her grandmother took her in after the untimely deaths of her parents.
- Sailor Fuku: Only in the first two chapters. Averted in the DS games.
- Spoiled Sweet: Lives in a huge mansion, has as much money as she could wish for, and as sweet as can be.
A farm girl who works on Vesta's farm. She's peaceful and sweet. Vesta's brother, Marlin, has his eye on her.
- Arranged Marriage: Celia's parents want one of these for her.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette. (Nami's the redhead and Muffy's the blonde.)
- Break the Cutie: In AWL if you bring her up to three hearts and see all of her events, then choose to marry someone else, it means she left her arranged marriage for nothing and shatters her heart, she, Vesta, and especially Marlin will never forgive you.
- Expy: A mix of Nina and Ellen from the original title.
- Education Mama: In AWL she really wants to see her son grow up to be a scientist, and always wants him to be studying.
- Friend to All Living Things: Including her crops.
- Hair Decorations: Her orange headscarf.
- Idiot Hair
- The Ingenue
- Took a Level in Jerkass: If you don't marry her, due to Vesta's influence and her previous heartbreak.
A waitress who works at the Blue Bar. Perennially loveless, she often laments her ill luck with men. (Worse still, she doesn't seem to realize the affection that bar owner Griffin has for her.) She's a rather feminine girl, taking delight in makeup and jewelry.
- All There in the Manual: If not for her age being cited as thirty in the manual, you really wouldn't be able to tell.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Wavy curls of gold. (Nami's got the red and Celia the brown.)
- Though it is revealed if you marry her that she uses curlers to get her hair like that every day.
- Christmas Cake
- Dumb Blond: Not too strongly, compared to Rock, but it's there.
- Expy: Of Eve from the first game in the series.
- Green Eyes
- Hair Decorations: Like Lumina, she wears a headband, only black.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Her DS (Cute) counterpart is a lot less catty than her A Wonderful Life counterpart.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: In AnWL Muffy can be seen crying now and then by the river over the latest boyfriend in the city who's broken her heart. Whether he was cheating on her, or secretly using her as his mistress, she always simply convinces herself that she'll find her man one day. But... since you can't marry her in the game, she never does.
- May-December Romance: Her designated love interest (outside of the player) is Griffin, 16 years her senior. She only marries him in DS (Cute), though.
- She's also about seven to nine years older than the player character.
- Older Than They Look
- Stepford Smiler: She really wants to get married and have a family, but just keeps ending up with the wrong guy. While this does upset her, she's determined to keep a smile on her face. If the male PC gets her to three hearts and then dumps her, she never really recovers from the heartbreak.
- True Blue Femininity: Her jacket. Her post-marriage dress in the special edition of AWL is also blue.
The son of Tim and Ruby at the inn, though he looks absolutely nothing like them. He's a party animal who loves just lounging about and looking for fun stuff to do.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Calling him a 'moron' in AnWL may not be the best choice to make. Neither is making Lumina cry.
- Camp Straight: His three favorite things are partying, fashion, and women.
- Casanova Wannabe: He even wears a sleazy leisure suit.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Not so much in AWL, but in AnWL...wow. Let's just say he declares your dog his arch-enemy.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Less so in DS.
- Dumb Blonde: He may be a guy, but boy is he ever. He's as dumb as a... er... well... you know.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "When it's this hot, lots of girls like to go to the beach in sexy swimsuits.Suddenly I feel like surfing."
- Happily Adopted: Well...sort of. If you marry Rock, his dad will comment that Rock was "like a son to them". Rock becomes flustered and changes the subject. Add this to several other hints in the game, as well as the fact that Rock looks nothing like them and...yeah.
- Informed Attribute: He tells you he's a pro skier. Knowing Rock, though...
- Jerk Ass: Arguably this in DS (Cute).
- Keet: An adult, but he still counts.
- Meaningful Name: His DS (Cute) incarnations name is "Romeo" in Japan.
- Older Than They Look: He's 22, but looks like a young teenager.
- The Slacker: Doubly so in his DS (Cute) incarnation.
- This and That: In the first heart event, he asks if you want to go with him to the swamp for "this and that".
A ranch hand, and Vesta's brother. He moved out to the valley when he was young because of his failing health, and he's still a bit frail. He can be cold at first, but when he warms up, he shows himself to be a kind-hearted person. He does tend to worry, though.
- Defrosting Ice King: He will open up as you befriend him, and he is very protective of Celia.
- Ill Boy: He was one in his childhood; he's still somewhat fragile.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Varies depending on the game and actions. In AWL he will not be nice to you if you pursue Celia, but if you marry someone else he'll be a good drinking buddy. And in AnWL he becomes more like a very shy guy who just happens to not smile often.
- Stalker with a Crush: See below.
- Yandere: There is an optional scene in which he muses over Celia's beauty, which ends with him saying "I'll decide who's good for Celia and who's not!"
A songwriter who lives in the valley, and something of a hippie. He's a loner and a wanderer, but he'll befriend you if you like—he might even show you some of his music. He's pretty in-tune with nature. He likes Nami; he's attracted to fellow loners.
- Ascended Extra: He went from being a rather pointless character in AWL to one of the three potential spouses in AnWL.
- Erudite Stoner: He's not stoned as far as we know, but he acts like it sometimes...
- Friend to All Living Things: Your dog will listen to his music.
- Gag Nose: Even when he is supposed to be prettied up as a potential spouse, the artwork for him seems to exaggerate the size of his nose.
- New-Age Retro Hippie
- Nice Guy: Probably the most normal and stable out of the three bachelors. However, the general opinion seems to be "Eww, old hippie!"
- Nice Hat: He is never without a hat that is both pointy and ridiculous under any circumstances.
- Prematurely Bald: According to concept art he's this under his hat.
- Rummage Sale Reject
- Word Salad Lyrics: The song he sings doesn't really make sense.
- Younger Than They Look: He's really the second-youngest bachelor after Rock, but people tend to treat him as if he's much older. Must be the beard. To drive this even further, Gustafa is the only bachelor who will never age, and by the end of the last chapter will still look the same as the day you met him, compared to rock and Marlin whose hair starts to grey by the second chapter.
GriffinThe owner of the local bar. Griffin is an aging gentle guy who has a small crush on Muffy. In DS Cute he is a marriageable bachelor.
- Cool Old Guy
- Gag Nose
- Hidden Depths: If you're lucky, sometimes when walking into his bar you will catch him quietly playing a song on his guitar for whoever wants to listen.
- May-December Romance: He's pretty surprised that someone as pretty and young as your character would want to marry a gruff looking old man like him.
- Nice Guy
- Parental Substitute: In AWL, he behaves more as a father figure to Muffy, and brings her to you for your wedding.
- Porn Stache
VestaMarlin's overbearing sister and owner of Vesta's farm. She takes great joy in her work and is normally quite good-natured and cheerful. Just... don't cross her. We warned you.
- Apron Matron
- Beware the Nice Ones: Particularly if you don't marry Celia.
- Expy: Aesthetically she resembles Ellen's mother.
- Gonk: Large chin, husky voice, large size, and very muscular arms.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead
Patrick & KasseyTwins who make fireworks.
SamanthaGrant's wife and Kate's mother who moves into town in the second chapter.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She seems to be an incredibly high maintenance woman, impatient with guests and her daughter, and Grant tries his hardest to avoid coming home from work for as long as possible because of her.
- The Ghost: She is noticeably missing in Harvest Moon DS. It's explained that Grant finally got the good sense to divorce her.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Considering how she acts towards her husband...
GrantKate's father and Samantha's husband.
- The Alcoholic: Heavily implied. He's at the bar a lot when not working, and in DS his favorite gift is Wine.
- Workaholic: He purposely works long hours to avoid meeting his less-than-nice wife and bratty daughter at home. In DS, he works hard to support him and Kate.
KateA little girl who loves to torment◊ Hugh. She is Grant's daughter.
- Girlish Pigtails: As a child. They're technically braids, though.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Especially in DS, where she's incredibly verbally abusive to Grant.
- Hair Decorations: Her hair bows. She wears them on the ends of her braids as a child and near the top of her head as a teenager.
- Jerk Ass
- Kids Are Cruel
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: While not evil, she is a bully...
- She's All Grown Up
HughA young boy who is an exercise fanatic, just like his father. He is the son of Chris and Wally.
- He's All Grown Up
- Like Father, Like Son
- Pointless Band-Aid: Wears one on his left cheek. It does make sense that he would wear a band aid to cover up a scrape he got from his training, but not so much if he keeps it there well into his teens.
- Younger Than They Look: Looks eight or nine in the first chapter, but is six. His age was changed to eight in the English version, probably due to his dads training methods at such an age.
Nina (AWL)An old woman who lives in Forget-Me-Not Valley with her husband, Galen.
- Bus Crash: She passes away in the gap between the first and second chapters.
- Cool Old Lady: She races against the turtle that lives by the pond!
- Expy: Of Nina from the first game. She has curly hair, though shorter. She also has the same love for flowers, and the same name. Considering Ellen appeared as a senior in a previous, similarly dark title, it could be the same character.
- Happily Married
- The Lost Lenore: To Galen after her passing.
- Nice Hat: A cute little cap that looks like a ladybug.
GalenNina's husband. Spends the first part of the game as a somewhat gruff but kindly old man. Spends the next part of the game a depressed widower.
- Cool Old Guy
- Happily Married
- The Mourning After: He never does get over Nina's death, although in later chapters he's not quite as withdrawn and depressed.
- My Greatest Failure: He feels guilty that he couldn't do anything to prevent Nina's death.
DaryllThe village Mad Scientist.
- Einstein Hair
- Failure Is the Only Option: In AWL, Daryll persistently tries to capture a thing that looks like an abominable snowman, but guess what the result is. Every. Single. Time.
- Mad Scientist
- Stalker with a Crush: To Flora, in AWL. Fortunately, she seems blissfully unaware of his affections.
- In DS, he attempts to confess his affections for her. For those of you just tuning in, know that Flora is a blackbelt.
CodyA scary looking artist who lives in a trailer. In AWL it was implied he and Nami might have feelings for each other. But in AnWL Gustafa is Nami's love interest.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: He sports a pretty neat looking yellow mohawk.
- Face of a Thug: Looks scary, but is actually pretty nice, if quiet.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted. He's a large and intimidating-looking fellow with a deep gravelly voice, but he's really just shy and introverted, and loves to receive flowers as gifts.
- Token Minority: He's the only black guy in town.
- The Quiet One: He keeps to himself and rarely has anything to say to anyone.
WallyHugh's dad, and Chris' husband. He's an athlete who moved into town because the valley makes for a great place to run.
- Bishie Sparkle: His eyes are always big, blue, and sparkly.
FloraCarter's assistant. Though they share a tent together, their relationship is strictly business.
ChrisWally's wife and Hugh's mother. She's a businesswoman and is away from the valley most of the time, but despite this she has a loving and stable relationship with her family.
MurreyA bum that lives in the valley. Not much was known about him before he became homeless.
- Crazy Homeless Person: Possibly downplayed for a kids game. But he does steal from you and others.
- The Pig Pen
- Verbal Tic: Has a habbit of saying "moi". Also it turns out his Japanese name is Moi.
VanA travelling merchant who often visits Forget-Me-Not Valley to peddle goods to the player.
- We Buy Anything: You can sell your goods to Van, whom will buy just about anything.
- Weight Woe: He is trying to lose some weight as a cutscene will involve bragging about losing some weight to Tim. His reaction is priceless if you told him that there was something wrong with the scale.
TimRuns th Inner Inn with his wife, Ruby. Also Rock's father, he used to be a traveler before settling down.
- Brother Chuck: He (or his Harvest Moon DS counterpart) is absent in Harvest Moon DS.
- Walking the Earth
RubyRock's mother, and runs the Inner Inn with her husband Tim. She is the Inn's cook, and will give you her signature spice if you befriend her.
- Ambiguously Brown: She does have a Polynesian look going on.
- Walking the Earth: Like her husband, she also traveled with him before deciding the settle down.