Characters: Harvest Moon: Mineral Town
Characters who have appeared in Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, and Harvest Moon: (More) Friends of Mineral Town. For the Harvest Goddess and Sprites, see Characters: Harvest Moon.See also:
- Harvest Moon Original Series: The original SNES game
- Harvest Moon Game Boy: The Game Boy/Game Boy Color series (Harvest Moon 3)
- Harvest Moon 64: Harvest Moon 64
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life: A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life and AWL: Special Edition
- Harvest Moon Save The Homeland: Save the Homeland and Hero of Leaf Valley
- Harvest Moon: Magical Melody: Magical Melody
- Harvest Moon DS: Harvest Moon DS and DS Cute
- Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness: Island of Happiness, Sunshine Islands and Frantic Farming
- Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility: Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade
- Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar
- Harvest Moon My Little Shop
- Harvest Moon Tale Of Two Towns
- Harvest Moon A New Beginning: A New Beginning
- Story of Seasons: Story Of Seasons
open/close all folders
Bachelors and Bachelorettes
AnnThe daughter of the innkeeper who frequently helps out in the restaurant. Much like Ann from the original game, this one loves to tinker. Her romantic interest is Cliff.
- Big Eater: She claims to eat a lot, and usually eats the most during the Harvest Festival.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Subverted. She's the most tomboyish bachelorette but is arguably the best cook in town.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She often hangs out with Popuri, and plays the role of the active tomboy to Popuri's more feminine appearance.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Of all the love interests, during advertisements and promotional material in Nintendo Power and such, she seemed to be shown more than others. Possibly because of her more farm-girl appearance.
- Supreme Chef: She's a very good cook who helps out her father to prepare the inn's delicious meals, and occasionally wins the annual Cooking Festival. This is stark contrast from her HM64 Lethal Chef status.
ElliThe local nurse and midwife, who lives with her grandmother and younger brother. Seems to have a budding not-quite-professional relationship with the doctor.
- Hospital Hottie: A rather odd case in the fact that she isn't designed to be sexy, and dresses like her grandmother, but she still manages to be a fan favorite.
- Promotion to Parent: She takes care of her younger brother Stu, as their grandmother is too ill to do much, while their parents are not around at all.
- Nice Girl: She's always smiling and giving gifts to others.
KarenThe daughter of Jeff and Sasha, the general store owners. She is close friends with Rick, and will marry him if the player doesn't. She loves drinking, and can often be found at the bar with Rick (her love interest).
- Childhood Friend Romance: She would marry her childhood friend, Rick, unless the player marries either one of them first.
- Cool Big Sis: She has the personality and acts like this towards others.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She loves wine, and one event actually shows her beating Duke — the winehouse owner — in a drinking contest.
- Lethal Chef: Her cooking is so terrible it once made the (male) protagonist ill from eating them. Even her parents are afraid of eating her dishes.
- Multicolored Hair: She has brown hair, while her bangs are decorated with blonde highlights.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Her attitude is nonexistent in Mineral Town games.
MaryThe town librarian. Her romantic interest is Gray.
- Cute Bookworm: She's a cute librarian who loves reading, and is one of the marriageable bachelorette.
- Hot Librarian: The town librarian who can be pursued as the male protagonist's Love Interest and is Gray's romantic interest.
- She Cleans Up Nicely : She takes off her glasses and does her hair nicely during her wedding day.
PopuriA bubbly, childish and friendly girl, she is the younger sister of Rick in (More) Friends of Mineral Town. Her father is currently away from Mineral Town, and her mother, Lillia, is ill. Her older brother, Rick has taken responsibility for her, unfortunately for her, he can be over-protective. Her love interest is Kai.
- Curtains Match the Window: She has pink hair and eyes.
- The Cutie: She's very cute and childlike, and sometimes comes during the Pumpkin festival to ask for candy, like a kid would.
- The Ditz: She's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
- Flanderization: In  she's childish because her father, who's away most of the year, babies her when he comes around. In BTN she's more spoiled and immature.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Both Popuri and her mother has bright pink hair, which is a stark contrast to the more natural hair colours of the other villagers.
CliffA somewhat careworn young man who starts off slumming it at the church. He wanders aimlessly around, looking for something to do. He's very quiet, and reacts strongly to kindness. In your first year, you get the opportunity to offer "someone" a job. If you give it to him, he'll stay and become a winery-worker, with Manna and Duke becoming his surrogate family. His love interest is Ann.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: He doesn't have a permanent job or home in Mineral Town, and is seeking for a place where he could settle down.
- Lost Forever:
- If you don't offer him the job at the winery, he will move out from Mineral Town, removing him from being an eligible bachelor.
- Not only that, but even if you do, his and Ann's Blue Heart Event is Lost Forever if you don't trigger it before that point. And given that said event has even more specific criteria than others, there's a good chance you'll miss it without a guide
- Shrinking Violet: He's an extremely shy guy and awkwardly stutters when he's first talked to.
- Troubled, but Cute: Sure he has a lot of problems to work out, but he also has long hair and wears shirts that show off his muscles.
DoctorThe resident doctor of the village. His love interest is Elli.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His parents were both full-time medical workers, which resulted in his being neglected for most of his childhood. He rebelled against them at one point, but grows to resent it because of his understanding of how demanding being a doctor is.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: For the most part, he is referred to only as "Doctor", although he is once called Tim in Back to Nature. His DS incarnation averts this, giving him the name Trent.
- Hospital Hottie: He's the town's only doctor who is known to be quite handsome.
- Not Good with People: In his yellow hear event, he mentions how he finds it difficult to relate to his patients, and he fears that they may find him intimidating.
- Not So Stoic: His dark and brooding image certainly started to crack when he begged the player to help him try to catch fish with his bare hands in the girl version of Back To Nature.
- Workaholic: Very dedicated to his work, and seems to be distraught at his perceived failure to help the very ill, such as Ellen and Lilia.
GraySaibara's grandson and apprentice blacksmith. Mary is his love interest.
- Nice Hat: His UMA hat.
- Troubled, but Cute: He's rather resentful of being in his grandfather's shadows, but otherwise is just shy and awkward guy.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: "I'll get that old man to praise me, no matter what!"
KaiA foreigner who only comes down to the beach during the summer to sell food (in Back to Nature, (More) Friends of Mineral Town and DS/Cute). He's Popuri's suitor.
- Ambiguously Brown: Given that he only appears during the summer, it's hard to tell whether he might just be suntanned.
- The Charmer: His Mineral Town incarnation can be a sweet-talker, and he's well-liked by the local ladies, such as Manna.
- Jerk Ass: His BTN incarnation is a bit of a smug dick.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In BTN he was a smug asshole who actively enjoyed bullying Rick. In FOMT he has a rocky relationship with Rick because of his overbearing Big Brother Instinct.
RickPopuri's older brother in Back To Nature (For Girl) and (More) Friends of Mineral Town. He's a bit frazzled. He's overprotective of his sister and mother, and because of this, he doesn't get along with Kai. Karen is one of his oldest friends (And love interest). While he seems a bit cold at first, he has a loving and extremely loyal heart.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's very protective of Popuri, and does not want her to interact with Kai, because he feels that the latter would only hurt her.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He would marry his childhood friend Karen, unless the player marries either one first.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: His dislike for Kai stems from the fact that Kai takes an interest in Popuri.
- Promotion to Parent: His father is away, and his mother Lillia is sickly, leaving him to take responsibility for Popuri and the farm.
- Unknown Rival: Kai is seemingly oblivious to how much Rick wants him to drop dead.
"Special" Bachelorskappa. One of the possible marriage candidates in MFoMT. Lives in a lake, and likes cucumbers. Is there really anything else you need to know?
- Interspecies Romance: He is one of the marriageable bachelors, who, of course, isn't human like the player.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cucumbers.
The GourmetA... wait, what on earth is he supposed to be, anyway? Well, whatever he is, he shows up for most festivals that involve crops or especially food. For whatever reason, he's also a marriage candidate, albeit a particularly difficult one, in MFoMT.
- Big Eater: His love for food is the reason he became a food critic.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: He's only known as "Gourmet", based on his occupation as a food critic.
- Gonk: He's very fat and thick-lipped, and looks generally unappealing.
WonA colorful salesman with a stereotypical Oriental appearance.
- Facial Profiling: He looks like a baby Fu Manchu.
- Friend in the Black Market/Honest John's Dealership: Flops between the two. He'll sell you expensive seeds for profitable crops and various other items (at massive markups) but also sell you "premium" apples and Orange Cup seeds (Orange Cups being the only crop in the game that will sell for a net loss).
- Nice Hat: He is even described by Harris as the guy in the "yellow hat".
- Promotion To Love Interest: In More Friends of Mineral Town, he becomes a secret bachelor. He's the most "normal" of said bachelors.
- Traveling Salesman: Zigzagged. He comes once every season as a door-to-door salesman to sell his "special" apples, but does most of his trading in Zack's house.
AnnaBasil's wife, Mary's mom.
- Feminine Women Can Cook - In (More) Friends Of Mineral Town, she's the one who offers cooking lessons to the protagonist.
- Happily Married: She gets along nicely with her husband Basil, frequently going out with him to the mountains to help his research, and is hardly ever seen arguing at all.
- Housewife: She usually stays at home and doesn't do much — unlike Lillia, who takes care of the poultry, or Manna, who takes care of the winery.
BarleyMay's grandfather. Runs the neighboring animal ranch. One of the oldest people in Mineral Town (along with Saibara and Ellen).
- Promotion to Parent: His daughter, Joanna, is always away on business, leaving him as the sole guardian of his granddaugter May.
BasilHe's a botanist who is Mary's father and Anna's Husband.
- Happily Married: He and Anna seems to be getting along quite nicely, and they rarely, if ever, argue with each other .
CarterMineral Town's only priest.
- Christianity Is Catholic: He's a
Catholicpriest who hosts confessionals in a designated back room.
- Friend to All Children: He usually plays with Stu and May during the afternoons.
- Good Shepherd: Carter is kindhearted priest who occasionally takes care of the local children (see Friend to All Children) and is one of the first persons Cliff opens up to.
DougMineral Town's inn owner and Ann's father.
- Supreme Chef: Where do you think Ann learned to cook?
DukeProprietor of the local vineyard, husband to Manna.
- The Alcoholic: Frequently helps himself with his own wine product and gets himself drunk, to Manna's constant distaste.
- Jerk Ass: A mild example, but he frequently tries to take advantage of Jeff's kindness to pretty much mooch goods from the store, much to Karen's annoyance. He also once picked a fight with Doug for no reason.
EllenElli's and Stu's grandmother and predecessor as midwife.
- Ill Girl: She could not walk due to an illness, and one of Elli's long-term goal is to cure her.
GotzThe local lumberjack who lives alone (with an etymologist roommate in BTN).
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost both his wife and daughter to a storm.
- Gentle Giant: He may be a little gruff, but is very caring towards nature.
- Not Good with People: He's a loner who lives in the secluded woods, and often comes of as rude in his interactions.
HarrisThe Mayor's only son, and the only cop in the entire town. Wears a uniform that looks like it was pilfered from a postal worker.
- Checkpoint Charlie: He's very wary of outsiders. Particularly weird-looking Chinamen! (Won)
- Long Distance Relationship: He's still pining for his old flame, Aja. You can brighten his spirits by giving him Aja's letter.
JeffSasha's husband, and Karen's father. Runs the supermarket, and is constantly depressed because he's a pushover and has mired his family in debt due to letting everyone buy on credit.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Apparently, he and Sasha knew each other since childhood.
- Extreme Doormat: He's a bit of a pushover, and couldn't say "no" when someone (mostly Duke) tries to purchase his goods on credit and not pay for it.
- Nice Guy: His wife Sasha finds him to be very kindhearted, and he finds it difficult to refuse when other people asks for help.
LilliaPopuri and Rick's mother. Not in the best of health. The reason their father is gone is that he's out looking for a cure for Lillia's illness.
- Ill Girl: She couldn't go out much because of her poor health, and needs frequent medical attention.
- Soap Opera Disease: Her illness is never named or even defined, past "it makes her weak and frail." and that it is likely she will eventually lose the ability to walk.
MayBarley's young granddaughter.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Parental Abandonment: She was left with her grandfather by her mother for reasons unknown.
- The Cutie: She's adorable and sweet.
MannaDuke's wife. She's responsible for the sale of the winery's product.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: When giving her a gift she only likes/feels neutral about, she explains what her responding facial expression means in response to the gift; and at one point, when talking to you, she points out that she talks so much because you (the Heroic Mime farmer) don't talk.
- Motor Mouth: HOLY CRAP, yes. Pretty much any time you talk to her prompts about 4-8 boxes worth of text. Maybe even more if you give her a birthday gift. Sasha herself points out that once you get Manna started, it's impossible to shut her up.
Mayor ThomasThe mayor of Mineral Town and Harris' father. Runs your farm tutorial and you can go to him for occasional hints.
- Exposition Fairy: He is one of the first characters we meet upon moving to Mineral Town, and provides the basic tutorial and explanation about the gameplay and control.
- Nice Hat: Wears a red tophat, which probably signifies his position as a mayor.
- Ultimate Authority Mayor: Do you see any city council? Voting booths? He even commands the police force, since it consists of only one guy, and it's his son.
- And Harris is next in line to become Mayor, too. Just as Mayor Thomas' father was Mayor before him!
SaibaraGray's grandfather and the local blacksmith.
- The Blacksmith: He's the local blacksmith who is responsible for upgrading farming tool, creating jewellery and wool/egg/milk processing machine.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Grumpy Old Man: He's very gruff whenever his work is concerned, and will drive out the protagonist from his store after agreeing to upgrade their tools.
SashaJeff's wife and Karen's mom. Helps Jeff out with the local grocery store.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Jeff knew each other since early childhood, and reminisces on how she usually saves him from Duke's bullying.
StuElli's younger brother
- Annoying Younger Sibling: He likes to play pranks on his older sister, like giving her bugs.
ZackHe lives on the beach with Won and comes to your house to ship things and give you packages. Lillia's husband brought him to Mineral Town.
- Stalker with a Crush: He has tons of pictures of Lillia posted above his bed.
GregThe local fishing expert. You'll get your fishing pole and its upgrade from him.
- Put on a Bus: Absent in the GBA ports, though he very rarely appeared in BTN to begin with (usually only very late at night/very early in the morning, and on weekends only), so many people who played BTN might not even remember him.
- His absence was alluded to, as he was referred to as having gone off after a rare fish and hadn't been heard from since.
- The Cameo: In A Wonderful Life, there's a show that comes on twice a season, called "Greg's Fishing Diary". Given that it discusses angling in Mineral Town and Forget-me-not Valley, it's most likely him.
- Token Minority: Not the only minority in town (Won is East Asian), but unless you count the Ambiguously Brown Kai, Greg is noticeably the ONLY black person in Mineral Town (and one of very few in the entire series - the others being Cody from Forget-me-not Valley, and maybe Denny from Island of Happiness/Sunshine Islands).
KenoThe local photographer.
- Put on a Bus: Same as Greg above. He actually is referenced by name in More Friends of Mineral Town, when Thomas reveals he one day left down, leaving a letter behind.
LouisGotz's roommate and an etymologist. Give him some of your honey and it will unlock an upgrade where the honey will sell for double the price.
- Put on a Bus: Same as Greg and Kano above. His absence is explained by him chasing after a rare butterfly, and not being heard from since.