Characters: Father Ted
Father Ted Crilly
- Played by Dermot Morgan
- Amusing Injuries
- Butt Monkey: On occasion.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Embarrassing Nickname: Father Fluffy Bottom.
- Genre Savvy
- Insistent Terminology: That money was only resting in his account.
- Also, it wasn't hair on his buttocks. It was downy fluff.
- Jerk Ass / Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he's the most sympathetic character in some respects, in others, he's actually worse than Dougal and Jack, having stolen funds from "that Lourdes thing."
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All
- Locked Away in a Monastery / The Unfavourite: The reason he became a priest.Father Ted: That would be quite common you know. The favourite son would become a doctor and then the idiot brother would be sent off to the priesthood.Father Dougal: Your brother is a doctor, isn't he?Father Ted: Yes, he is.
- Surrounded by Idiots: He's the Only Sane Man on an entire island populated by Cloud Cuckoo Landers.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist
Father Dougal Maguire
- Played by Ardal O'Hanlon
- Adult Child
- Bumbling Sidekick
- Cannot Tell Fiction from Reality: Has to keep a list of things that don't really exist and has a chart that shows real and not real.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Believes that the Loch Ness Monster, Magnum, P.I., Darth Vader and "Non-Catholic gods" are real people. Curiously enough for a Catholic priest he doesn't believe in the bible.
- The Ditz
- Genius Ditz: Sometimes, he actually comes up with a decent plan much to Ted's (and his own) amazement.
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: Doesn't really do anything around the parish. Justified, though, since the one time he does a funeral, it ends up as a complete disaster.
Father Jack Hackett
- Played by Frank Kelly
- The Alcoholic: Only appears to be sober once every twelve years or so. Whenever he does run out of booze, he'll drink whatever else he can find, including Toilet Duck and floor polish.
- Ambiguously Bi: A skirt-chasing horndog who in one episode climbs naked into bed with Bishop Brennan (albeit while sleepwalking), later wakes up, smiles at Brennan and then goes back to sleep still in the bed with him.
- Bad Ass
- Berserk Button: Do not even try to take his precious drink away from him.
- When Ted mentions that Father Stone is staying, Ted dons body armour before breaking the news to him. Jack punches him so hard, he is blown out the window.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is not a smart man in general, but he is incredibly knowlegable when it comes to alcohol. He can recognize brand and VINTAGE just by clinking bottles.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Being both senile and perpetually drunk, this is to be expected. "The Plague" gives us this gem while in "Hell" Jack gives us this.
- Dirty Old Man
- Einstein Hair
- Ephebophile: If his dreams about taking the girls in the convent school for volleyball practice are any indication.
- Extreme Omnivore: Will literally drink almost anything, including Toilet Duck and floor polish. The only liquids he won't drink are tea and water.
- Friend to All Living Things: But only for a short period during leap years.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: "DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND!"
- Grumpy Bear
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Jerk Ass
- Large Ham
- No Indoor Voice
- Not Quite Dead: After drinking floor polish, he only appears to be dead temporarily.
- The Pig Pen: Not only is his personal hygiene suspect, but it spreads to the chair he sits on and the wall behind him. In fact, he gets hairy hands because Dougal fails to disinfect his chair.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Super Senses: Zig Zagged. Sometimes he's deaf, other times, he can identify alcohol by the sound of clinking bottles alone.
- Super Window Jump: Tends to do this a lot. Gets lampshaded in the Christmas special, where Ted has had plexiglass installed to stop him doing this.
- Token Evil Teammate
- The Unfettered
Mrs. Joan Doyle
- Played by Pauline McLynn
- All Women Are Prudes
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- No Name Given / Last Name Basis: Her first name is only revealed in the original scripts.
- Spot of Tea: Absolutely obsessed with making tea (amongst other things). When being demonstrated a Tea Master, she is told that it takes the misery out of making tea. She states that maybe she likes the misery.
Bishop Len Brennan
- Played by Jim Norton
- Badass Cape: Not even Vader's cape can billow like Brennan's.
- Badass Grandpa: Is easily able to rip doors off their hinges or shatter them with his bare hands, and is capable of kicking Ted 20 feet in the air.
- Bad Boss: Doesn't exactly hold Ted, Dougal or Jack in high regard.Brennan: And Crilly? If you ever try to bullshit me like that again, I will rip off your arms.
- Though on occasions when Ted seems to injure himself, he often shows sincere concern.
- The Dreaded: Especially against Ted. Ted even takes advantage of this and is almost successful when he "kicks his arse" because he is supposedly too afraid to actually do it.
- Dirty Old Bishop: Has a secret son in America and has been carrying on affairs in secret
- Do Not Call Me Len: "You will address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!"
- Jerk Ass
- Kavorka Man
- Large Ham
- The Rival: Word of God says he's this to Jack, rising to the position of Bishop where Jack failed.
Father Dick Byrne
- Played by Maurice O'Donoghue
Father Noel Furlong
- Played by Graham Norton
- Asexual: According to Word of God
- Camp Gay / Camp Straight: Depending on how you can interpret a priest in such a context.
- Genki Guy
- Large Ham
- Motor Mouth
- The Pollyanna
Father Larry Duff
- Played by Tony Guilfoyle
- Bald of Awesome
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Believes that his fantasy of owning rabbit was unrealistic, so he gets a pack of rottweilers instead.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Almost every time Ted phones him, he suffers some form of injury or misfortune.
Father Paul Stone
- Played by Michael Redmond
- Dull Surprise: Played for laughs.
- Hero-Worshipper: To Ted.
- The Stoic: Awakes from a coma after being struck by lightning and simply says that he's fine.
Father Fintan Stack
- Played by Brendan Grace
- Beard of Evil
- Jerk Ass: Ted reckons he's worse than Adolf Hitler. You wouldn't catch Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning.
Father Todd Unctious
- Played by Gerard Mc Sorley
- Bald of Evil
- Dressing as the Enemy: Parodied. He actually is a priest, but steals another priest's clothing for no real reason.Father Todd Unctious: It just seemed to be the way things were going.
- Played by Pat Shortt
- Affably Evil: He's very friendly for a violent loon and is willing to help Ted here and there. Just don't get in his way when he goes nuts.
- Axe Crazy
- Ballistic Discount: Robs a post office at one point and claims that it was his own money and he couldn't be bothered to fill out the forms. Ted implies that it's not the first time this has happened.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Gun Nut
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Shotguns Are Just Better
- Shout-Out: Wears an I Shot JR shirt and has Redrum painted in red on his walls.
- Played by Pat Laffan
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.