- Acceptable Ethnic Targets: Jimmy, the dwarf actor, believes in an upcoming race war (although he later claims that was the cocaine talking).
Ken: You from the States?
- Also a lot of jokes about Americans.
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to. Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
- Played with in that case, though, as the "American" Ray freaks out on for being a "typical" American was actually Canadian.
- Awesome Music: "On Raglan Road" performed by The Dubliners.
- Crosses the Line Twice: It's a pretty dark movie, so this is the prime source of humour.
Chloë: He doesn't like being called a midget. He prefers dwarf.Ray: This is exactly my point! People going around calling you a midget when you want to be called a dwarf. Of course you're going to blow your head off.
- "A lot of midgets tend to kill themselves".
Chloë: It's not a shithole!Ray: What? Even midgets have to take drugs to stick it.Chloë: Okay. So, you've insulted my home town. You were doing really well, Raymond. Why don't you tell me some Belgium jokes while you're at it?Ray: Don't know any Belgium jokes, and if I did I think I'd have the good sense not to... hang on. Is Belgium with all those child abuse murders lately? I do know a Belgium joke. What's Belgium famous for? Chocolates and child abuse, and they only invented the chocolates to get to the kids.
- Ray offends Chloe by telling her that Bruges is a shithole.
- Ray calls Chloe's lowlife boyfriend various homophobic slurs. When the same guy meets with Harry, Harry does the same thing.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: Word of God confirms it: Harry and Ray are (not literally) in purgatory, awaiting their judgement and deciding between good and evil.
- "Maybe that's what Hell is, an entire eternity spent in fucking Bruges."
- He Really Can Act: Colin Farrell. So notable that it won him a (very unexpected) Golden Globe for Best Actor.
- Heartwarming Moments: "Well I can't shoot you now, can I?" Of course, it goes to hell soon after that.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Alfred wants to kill the Penguin over a botched assasination on Steppenwolf.
- Hollywood Homely: "I knew it! I just knew someone like you would never like someone like me!", says a male character to a cute girl who robs tourists. This character is portrayed by Colin Farrell. Played for Laughs, probably.
- Jerkass Woobie: Ray is Jerkass and a child murderer, but his deep remorse over the latter action and his desire for death make him rather sympathetic. Not to mention that he witnesses the deaths of Ken, Jimmy and Harry.
- Jimmy. He can be a jerk, especially to Ray (although Ray was as much of a jerk to him) but when he sees him injured at his film set he immediately goes to help him which sadly gets him killed.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT!"
- "They're filming midgets!"
- Moment of Awesome: So Ray's experiencing Coitus Interruptus because of Chloe's ex, Eirik, attempting to rob him at gunpoint. After disarming him, he's told the gun held only blanks, and Eirik's now pulled out a real knife. What's Ray to do? Answer: wait for Eirik to get closer then shoot the blank in front of his eyes, effectively blinding him.
- Periphery Demographic: Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, Clémence Poésy, Thekla Reuten and Ciarán Hinds were all in Harry Potter, with Colin Farrell also having a role in the prequel/spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So understandibly, quite a few In Bruges fans would also be fans of Harry Potter.
- Retroactive Recognition: Matt Smith was cast as the younger Harry in a deleted scene.
- Ugly Cute: This dog.
- The Woobie: That poor child Ray accidentally shot.
YMMV / In Bruges