The Tofus is a Canadian-French animated sitcom created for Teletoon that first aired in 2004 on Teletoon, Fox Kids Europe, France 3, and CITV, and ran for 2 seasons with a total of 26 episodes. Co-produced between SIP Animation and CinéGroupe as the brainchild of Fabrice de Costil and Bertrand Victor, it is a satirical take on the granola environmentalist lifestyle.
The Tofu family is headed by Mr. and Mrs. Tofu (known only as Mom and Pop Tofu), environmental activists who decide their family needs escape from the urban routine, and thus move to a farmhouse in the town of Beauvillage to embrace a more natural way of life. However, their preteen children Chichi and Lola, who would rather watch TV and go to the mall than play with the farm animals, are not happy with this change of pace and really just want to be normal kids, despite their parents' all-organic, eco-friendly way of life. Rounding out the family are the kids' grandmother Buba (who was born on the farmhouse), and the pets Crackers the rooster, Curly the sheep, and Suzie the goat.
Needs Wiki Magic.
The Tofus provides examples of:
- Adorably Precocious Child: Chichi has his moments, considering that he's also a prodigious Gadgeteer Genius.
- Alpha Bitch: Cherie, who is also Lola's rival.
- Bare Your Midriff: Lola is usually dressed as such.
- The Bully: Chichi has his rival Nick.
- Bumbling Dad: Subverted with Pop. He's seen as oblivious a lot of the time, but he often finds out what's shenanigans his kids are up to faster than they expect.
- Clucking Funny: Cracker the rooster, one of the family pets.
- Cranky Neighbor: Tidus and Beth Hubbub, who loathe the Tofus and their environmental ways, and frequently get in conflicts with them. However, their son Billy is also Lola's crush.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Pop often creates environmentally-friendly inventions to help him around the farmhouse. Chichi follows him in his footsteps in that regard.
- Granola Girl: Mom, who uses her zen outlook to try keep the household in line.
- Hippie Parents: The premise of the series is based on taking ordinary kids and giving them such.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: The Tofu kids try their hardest to just be regular tweens treated as such by their peers, despite their hippie parents.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Mom and Pop are devoted followers of the hippie lifestyle. Their kids, not so much.
- Only Sane Man: Lola often feels this way.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Chichi and Lola are pretty ordinary tweens whose dealings with everyday kid problems play off their parents' more comical granola attitudes.