The Proud Family Movie is a Disney Channel Original Movie based on the Disney Channel animated series, The Proud Family. It premiered on August 19, 2005 and serves as the finale to the shows original run.
It's Penny Proud's 16th birthday, and is excited for herself and her friends to be part of 15 Cent's dance group, due to the fact that he's Sticky's cousin. However, when 15 drives her home, her father, Oscar Proud, gets mad when he finds them kissing. He grounds Penny indefinitely and cancels her birthday, after which Penny outrageously resents him as her father.
Oscar manages to create a serum that could make his Proud Snacks tastier but it instead causes the snack to expand and explode. As he is hauled away, he protests that his formula has no expiration date, which is overheard by Dr. Carver, who has been trying to create an army of humanoid peanuts but never got his formula stabilized and plots to get it. Disguising himself, Carver invites the Proud family to Legome Island. Trudy forces Oscar and Penny to go, hoping they will bond. Upon arrival, the Prouds meet the Cashews, dwarf-sized creatures made from peanuts.
Carver tries to negotiate obtaining the formula from Oscar but when he refused, he reveals he has created peanut clones of his family from DNA snatched from them while they were partying. Oscar runs away and tries explaining to his family but they don't believe him. Meanwhile, the clones get a mix-up when the real Penny comes with them back to the mainland to search for the formula, while her clone remains with the original family. Penny soon enjoys the free life, which the clones allowed her, but gets tired of it soon enough.
At that moment, the mysterious Wally leads the Prouds and the Penny clone on a perilous journey to the other side of the island, saying there is someone who can answer their questions. Along the way, the Penny clone proves to be the kind of daughter Oscar desiresobedient. When they meet the person Wally wanted them to meet, he turns out to be Dr. Carver, who explains that he created a clone of himself out of a peanut. Unfortunately, the clone went sizzling crisp in the sun one day and turned to evil. Donning a disguise of his original form, the clone took over the island and the G-Nomes, turning Carver's peanut research for evil. Oscars realizes his formula is the key and tells the family he had left it in a locket for Penny's birthday, which she opened back home. Her clone informs the other clones, who take the formula. Penny gathers her friends to go back to Legome and rescue her family. Unfortunately, the Carver clone is set to bring his peanut soldier army to conquer the world and had already left. The original gives Penny a container of gas that could instantly turn solid peanuts into peanut butter. Just as Penny was on the verge of releasing the gas, the clone offers her the free lifewithout rules or responsibilities. However, Penny retorts that her family is looking out for her and unleashes the gas, foiling the clone's plot. Penny and her friends then end the movie with a song.
This movie provides examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The premise of the extended ending has Suga Mama and Puff turning into giants thanks to Oscars Pork-Nut-O-Rade energy drink.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: When Dr. Carver first tries to make a deal with Oscar for the formula, he notes what he could do with the formula, including taking over the world, before immediately switching it to something else.Dr. Carver: Just think of the possibilities Mr. Proud! They could care for the elderly, look after our children, TAKE OVER THE WORLD! I mean...make over the squirrels.
- Comic-Book Time: Penny turns sixteen, but the twins remain infants the entire time. Oscar even lampshades to Trudy that theyre still in diapers while shes thinking about Penny having grandchildren.
- Critical Research Failure: Oscar excitedly explains that George Washington Carver invented peanut butter. This is a myth. GWC did not invent peanut butter, though Oscar was correct about him inventing over three hundred uses for peanuts. Dr. Carver doesn't correct him either, so it couldn't have simply been written in as Oscar's mistake.
- Dance Off: Penny and her friends get into one of these with some of the peanut people. Zoe comes out as the winner, gaining them the victory.
- Disney Villain Death: Dr. Carver gets this by falling off the blimp and turning into a tiny peanut just moments away from hitting the water.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After over 50 episodes of bitter sweetness and depressing endings, all the characters got the happy ending that the show richly deserves. Penny gets some independence, Oscar and Suga Mama gain respect for each other, and the Gross Sisters gain respect for Penny. The extended ending even shows that Oscar has become more successful thanks to the G-Nomes and his Pork-Nut-O-Rade drink...which unfortunately upsizes Suga Mama into a fifty foot giantess.
- Evil Knockoff: Dr. Carver creates clones of the Proud family in order to try and find the formula, while making sure the originals stay on the island.
- Dr. Carver also turns out to be this, as the real Carver would end up helping the Prouds in stopping him from taking over the world.
- Fan Disservice: Dr. Carver (and the audience) is subject to Suga Mama removing her bathrobe.
- Finale Movie: The Proud Family Movie serves as the conclusion to the original run of the show, since it's been announced that a revival is planned for Disney+.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Pausing at certain scenes with Wizard Kelly would show his entire face, something that the series would usually avoid to do.
- Love at First Punch: Dr. Carver clones Suga Mama with what is assumed to be a Spanish peanut and she learns to speak Spanish by tape. When Papi insults her, the clone tells him to shut up in Spanish. Much to his complete surprise. Ironically, while he still thinks she's ugly, he starts hitting on the clone, who isn't interested.
- McGuffin: Oscars multiplying formula that was in Pennys necklace.
- Now or Never Kiss: In the series finale/movie, Penny believes she was gonna get a kiss from 15 Cent and calls him out on it. But when she learns that was never gonna be a kiss, she feels she will never get another chance. So she decides to kiss him herself.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Dr. Carver carries shades of this, but the original host is evidently more mature.
- Rage Breaking Point: After Oscar backs out of his deal to give him his multiplying formula, Dr. Carver ultimately stops pretending and begins to try and torture the formula out of him.Dr. Carver: I've been a very patient man, I WANT THAT FORMULA! GIMME! GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!
- Take Over the World: Dr. Carver plans to use his the multiplying formula to create an army of peanut soldiers to take over the world.
- Took a Level in Badass: Zoes character arc, which comes into full force during the battle dance sequence.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The clones, particularly Oscar's, have gained a huge affinity for hot dogs, to the point where that's all they eat to the point where Penny becomes sick of it.
- Villain Song: In the final act the clone Dr. Carver has the fantastically Large Ham "If I Ruled the World".
- We Can Rule Together: Dr. Carver attempts this with Penny by offering her a life free of rules, responsibilities and overbearing parents. Penny, having already experienced this with the cloned versions of her family, naturally refuses, because she loves her family just the way they are.
- You Are Grounded: Because Penny was caught kissing 15 Cent, Oscar grounds her indefinitely to the point that he cancels her birthday party.
- You Say Tomato: Sticky and 15 Cent pronounce "yacht" as "yatch".