Hey, kids. Have you ever wanted to watch a YouTube channel that covers various weird facts, historical events, and other weird, wacky things, in a manner that's both hilarious and surprisingly informative? Well, Sam O'Nella Academy has you covered.
Sam O'Nella is a YouTube channel made on June 13th, 2016, and makes videos about many different facts of life, from obscure subjects such as "why it sucked to be a pirate", to historical events on "non-water floods", to biographies about very strange people, such as Tarrare, the hungriest man in history. In spite of its intentionally low-quality animation courtesy of MS Paint and more humorous approach, Sam O'Nella still manages to be both entertaining and informative about whatever strange topic he talks about. In other words, he's what happens if GradeAUnderA was part of OverlySarcasticProductions.
Sam O'Nella provides examples of:
- Art Shift: Used frequently for comedic effect, such as in his Plant Diseases video when giving the key word about how American Chestnut trees were once plentiful in the south of the mid-atlantic reigon—the key word being, ONCE.
- Berserk Button: One of his older videos was about him ranting about Swiss Miss Instant chocolate, with how he saw that the way the product was designed so obtuse and backward (cant cleanly separate the bags, the box itself, how each bag only works for 6 ounces of water/milk).
- In Dead Body Hijinks, he also mentions his distaste for a childrens book character known as Amelia Bedelia, stating that he Hates her glassy-eyed face so fucking much.
- Black Comedy: Oh, so much. In videos with the names of Dead Body Hijinks, Improbable Tales of Survival, Pre-Industrial Surgeries, and The Journey of a Beef Cow, you can expect lots of dark, dark humor. Even more innocuous-seeming topics like Exotic Animals in Ancient Rome and Origins of Phrases can get extremely morbid, what with the topics of human-vs-beast brutality and African wife-beating.
- Couch Gag: Every video starts with "Hey, kids" or some variant thereof.
- Corpsing: Happens quite often when talking about more... out there topics. Most notably, he audibly fumbles a bit part-way through talking about the Yule Lads.
- His video on "Medieval Weapons" includes a Stinger of him cracking up at the line "Saint Jerry the Goatfucker"
- In his "Animals in Space" video, you can faintly hear Sam stifle a laugh when describing how Albert V "liquified on impact" thanks to his faulty parachute.
- Discussed Trope: One of his main categories of topics is to effectively discuss various situations or scenarios throughout history.
- Fan Disservice: Parodied in his Pre-Industrial Surgeries video, when he decides to segue into the part of the video everybody was waiting for: things going inside people's eyeballs.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: On the doctor's list of ideas in the Tararre video, some of the alleged options include to "tell him to just quit being a fatass", using a throat cork (which is originally designated as working, but then crossed off), and "give up and start a business making IRL vore".
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Frequently employed along with an art shift for comedic effect.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Does this to himself, upon any pun he makes.
- Overly Pre-Prepared Gag: Down Played. He spends the entirety of his video on Daniel Dancer setting up for the "are we human" joke at the end, but the video is not too long and is entertaining enough in the meantime.
- Resurrective Immortality: Sams avatar may have this. Through the series, hes uppercut a clone of himself (Origins of Phrases), smashed his head against a brick wall (South Sudan), suffered heatstroke in the desert (Tales of Survival), and had his head torn in half by Koko the gorilla (True Stories About Chimps).
- Sensory Abuse: Another common humor tactic to accentuate various lines.
- Shout-Out: In "Scandalous Popes of the Middle Ages," when Sam is describing the Banquet of Chestnuts, he briefly mentions the women at the banquet "scrambling [after the chestnuts] frantically like the cook at Denny's when I held him at gunpoint," an allusion to one of the most infamous scenes from Falling Down.
- Spoof Aesop: Sometimes ends his videos this way, such as at the end of his explanation of the Great Emu War:So the lesson here, kids, is that, if you wanna commit mass murder, don't crowdfund; crowdsource.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Eisenhower's reaction to hearing the word "commie" is a little more... zealous than expected.
- Stylistic Suck: Downplayed. While not necessarily bad, Sam's art is intentionally lumpy and MS-paint like.
- Take That!: On at least several occasions, he's made jokes at the expense of the mere concept of vore.
- Among his list of why bending things makes things better in his reason why bendy straws are good, he lists that bending rules gets you a nomination, with a picture of Hillary Clinton on there.
- In his video on the "Banana Republics", the CEO of one of the companies states that "politics and business are essentially the same thing", at which point an image of Donald Trump can be faintly seen in the background.