- Whuddup everyone. Its your girl Superwoman!
Lilly Singh, best known as "IISuperwomanII", or simply "Superwoman", is a Indo-Canadian YouTuber, comedian, actress and rapper. She began her career in October 2010, when she launched her eponymous channel. Since then, she has risen to prominence in the YouTube scene, currently sitting at 2 billion views, and her channel has accumulated over 12 million subscribers. In 2016, Singh released a red lipstick, in conjunction with Smashbox, called "BAWSE", and released her first feature film, titled A Trip to Unicorn Island. She reached 12 million YouTube subscribers in July 2017, and her channel is currently in the top 100 most subscribed on YouTube. As of 2017, she has over 6.8 million followers on Instagram. In March 2017, she released her first book, How to be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life.
After several cameo and bit roles in various movies, Lilly will be in the 2018 HBO adaptation of the acclaimed sci-fi novel Fahrenheit 451, as a Canon Foreigner named Raven, a popular vlogger who uses her platform to make propaganda for the government.
Her title, Superwoman was prompted by a childhood idea that she had an invisible "S" on her chest, making her believe she can do anything.Lilly specializes in comedy, filming skits of herself lampooning certain aspects of pop culture and ones that are also related to subjects such as how girls get ready and the way young adults communicate with parents, often portraying her Punjabi culture.
Lilly provides examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Lilly's traditional Indian parents and the culture clash between their generation and hers is a frequent source of comedy, though it's clear she really does love them.
- Animal Motifs: Unicorns.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Berserk Button: Airlines. Especially Air Canada.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lilly's very kind, but she does not suffer fools (or Air Canada) gladly.
- Bi the Way: She came out as bisexual in February 2019.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Frequently. Most notable is her "white girl voice" and her imitation of her parents.
- Canada, Eh?: She's proudly Canadian, especially in her "What Canadians Really Want to Say to Americans" video.
- "Whuddup everyone. It's your girl Superwoman!"
- "Whuddup T-Shirt reference!"
- "One Love, Superwoman. That is a wrap and zoop!" at the end of her videos.
- Whenever she travels: "Where in the world is Superwoman today?" followed by the country/state.
- She also says "shemurr"often.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She considers herself to be, according to her YouTube description, 'a unicorn who believes in love'.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: Subverted in her "Types of Enemies" video:Lilly: We all have those one or two companies we absolutely despise, because we had a horrible customer service experience with them. (cough) Oh, sorry. (cough) Air Canada. (cough) You suck. (cough) Just eat my poo. (cough, clears throat) Sorry, there's something in my throat. Now that it's out — Air Canada, you suck.
- Creepy Uncle: Snarkily brought up a couple times when discussing her extended family, but it's not clear how serious she is about this.
- A Degree in Useless: She considers her Bachelor's in psychology to be this, pointing out that she wasn't able to get a well-paying job in that field, and that the job she does make a living at (being a web comedian) has literally nothing to do with her degree.
- Everything Is Racist: In her "Types of People in Restaurants" video; there's this exchange in the context of lying for a free birthday cake:"What's that? Oh, you want proof of ID for my birthday? Well you know what? I wanna speak to your manager, cause this is racism."
- Genki Girl: See above. She's a unicorn.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A gem from her "Types of Girls in Relationships" video:Lilly: I don't know, man, I'm just really struggling at work.
Girl: I get it. Jack — he has a job too.
Lilly: Things are getting so rough.
Girl: Yeah. Jack's beard gets a little rough sometimes.
Lilly: And I have so many bills to pay.
Girl: Mmmhmm. Jack has an uncle Bill.
Lilly: And it's just getting so hard.
Girl: Last night, Jack got—
Lilly: I swear to god, if you say one more word about Jack, I will change my name to iceberg and kill Jack.
- Good Parents: Her real parents.
- Goshdang It To Heck: She doesn't swear in her videos. Though she swears in other languages, especially Jamaican.
- Happy Ending Massage: Referenced in her video "The Awkward Massage", about a time she wandered into a random parlor and received very suspect treatment from her masseuse.Lilly: At this point, I've got my fingers crossed that this is a Romeo & Juliet-type massage, because I ain't hoping for no happy ending!
- Hidden Depths: She graduated with an Honors Bachelor of Arts in 2010 and frequently talks charity and social justice, especially race, feminism, and mental illness.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Her exaggerated depictions of growing up in a strict Punjabi family.
- Hurricane of Puns: She is prone to this at times. Most notable is her video PSA: Mid 20s Crisis where after she would say a statement at the end of a scene, the next scene shows her eating sweets referencing that statement.Lilly: It's like on Valentine's Day, Cupid just saw me, and then a cake, and straight up shot his arrow. [cut to her eating an "Aero" bar]
- Irony: She's Indian, but she claims to not like spices.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: She's a YouTuber, actress, does motivational speeches when she can/asked to and a singer/rapper. She is an ultimate hustler, as everyone notes her to be, even herself. Somehow, she was making YouTube videos while also making a full-fledged movie. Not to mention when she makes videos while also auditioning for roles and also starring in movies and TV.
- Large Ham: As her parent characters.
- Married to the Job: She claims her job is one of the main reasons she's constantly single.
- Motor Mouth: It's to be expected with her videos.
- N-Word Privileges: Not the word itself, but from "WTF Hair Removal":Lilly: Trying to get wax off your body is like trying to get an Indian away from a sale — it ain't gonna happen. And I'm allowed to say that because I'm Indian, and the only reason I got waxed was because it was buy one, get the second free. Who was the first person? Me. Who was the second person? Me.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: Don't like a joke Lilly just made? Don't worry, the next one will be along in two seconds.
- Rapunzel Hair: Well known for her ridiculously long hair. She asked Selena Gomez to tug on her hair when they collaborated to prove it was real. This gets deconstructed in "The Struggles of Having Long Hair".
- Running Gag: Almost every video where she says a pun from her T-shirt, she says Whuddup t-shirt reference!"
- Shower of Angst: Parodied in "Types of People in the Shower"
- Take That!: She does this quite a lot. One example is in "My Parents Do This (Part II)"Paramjeet: You going to wear this one, okay?!
Lilly: Mom. No. I'm not wearing that. I'm 24 years old okay? This has Barbie on it.
Paramjeet: Hoy dumb idiot. You telling me yesterday "I'm going Barbie concert?!"
Lilly: That was Nicki Minaj!
Paramjeet: Same thing!
Lilly: It's not the same thing!
- Token Minority: Parodied in "Types Of People in Horror Movies". The killer lampshades how she was only part of the cast so that they could be called diverse.
- Tomboy: With a figure.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Lilly is generally tomboyish, but she loves her nice clothes, and likes makeup enough to have her own brand of lipstick.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Popcorn.
- Uncle Pennybags: She's known to be extremely generous, frequently donating to charities and such. In one notable instance, she asked her followers on Twitter what problems they were having. Many of them admitted to having financial issues, such as not being able to afford groceries or rent — and Lilly told them she would take care of it.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Spiders and clowns.
- Workaholic: Lilly's pretty openly knee-deep in her job, and loving it.