The Descent Part 2 is the 2009 sequel to The Descent.
After the events of the first film (US ending), a rescue team of cave spelunkers go back into the unexplored subterranean system in search of the missing group of women.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: When Sarah sees Dan and Rios being stalked unaware by a Crawler, she doesn't attack the Crawler or try to shout out a warning. Rather, she tackles Rios and keeps her from making a sound while the Crawler attacks and kills Dan, then stealthily grabs Greg's supplies off of his body while the Crawler drags his corpse away.
- An Arm and a Leg: Sheriff Vaines has his hand cut off by Rios.
- Asshole Victim: Sheriff Vaines
- Call-Back: Rios' escape is nearly a shot-for-shot remake of the first movie's ending.
- Chained Heat: Vaines chains himself to Sarah partway through the movie to keep her from running away.
- Covers Always Lie: Not so much the cover, but the blurb, which promises "a new tribe of crawlers, inbred, deformed and even more viciously feral". Nope, same old Crawlers as the first movie.
- Cruel Twist Ending: See Shocking Swerve.
- Downer Ending: Kill 'Em All, much like the original.
- Final Girl: Elen
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sarah, she starts screaming to protect Elen from crawlers and gets eaten by them
- Hollywood Darkness: The sequel forgoes pitch-blackness for silhouette shots in most cases
- Never Found the Body: Exploited to
notexplain Juno's survival after the events of the first movie.
- Not Quite Dead: Much like Beth in the first movie, Greg proves to be not quite dead when he grabs Juno on their way out.
- Redemption Equals Death: Sarah and Juno have learned from each other that the easiest way to survive is to make sure that the others die. By the end of the film, they've both executed self-sacrifices to allow others to live.
- Revised Ending: Based on the Director's Commentary and an early script review, the ending may have originally lacked its current Shocking Swerve. If so, it was definitely a failed Author's Saving Throw.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Greg tackles one of the Crawlers into a chasm to give Cath a chance to get to the other side whereupon she's killed by a Crawler on the other side. Admittedly, he was probably dying at the time due to having had the side of his neck torn out.
- This Is a Drill: Greg uses a power drill in his kit to kill one of the crawlers by drilling into its head.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once she recovers her memory, Sarah regains all of her levels in Badass. Juno isn't far behind.
- Vasquez Always Dies: Juno and Sarah.
- Wild Child: Juno initially seems to have reverted to this in her survival. She gets better.