Brute Force is a Video Game released for the Xbox by Microsoft Studios in 2003. The game is a squad-based third-person shooter that uses four members of a team which fight in numerous missions. These members in the squad include Flint, a sniper, Brutus, a shock trooper, Tex, a heavy assault trooper, and Hawk, a scout. Each character on the team has their own strengths and weaknesses, as well as special abilities that can turn the tide of battle.
The story is of a science-fiction setting where humans spread throughout the galaxy. Tension arises with the threat of a hostile alien race that appears. The squad, Brute Force, is sent in to confront the enemy. Additionally, each character has their own backstory.
Brute Force began as a PC game in 2000, but was soon after turned into a first-party title for the Xbox, following the buyout of Digital Anvil by Microsoft.
Not to be confused with the comic Brute Force.
Brute Force contains examples of:
- Alien Invasion: The Shrikes.
- Action Girl: Hawk and Flint.
- Big Bad: Shadoon, initially. The Shrike Hunter-Lord takes over towards the end.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Shadoon and Kingman have almost nothing to do with each other, beyond McTavish being a spy for the Shrikes.
- Big "NO!": Tex and Hawk sometimes shout this when they die.
- Cold Sniper: Flint, whose robotic temperament and lack of nerves to steady makes her the perfect sniper.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Edward Kingman.
- Cult: Sword of Shadoon.
- Degraded Boss: An Outcast Shaman is fought at the end of mission 2 as a boss. After that, Outcast Shamans are Mook Lieutenant enemies.
- Disc-One Final Boss: Shadoon is the Big Bad for most of the game until his death in mission 12. The rest of the game has you dealing with his "masters": the Shrikes.
- Elite Mooks:
- Feral Meancasts.
- Seer Followers.
- Caspian Militia.
- Shrike Heavies.
- Faceless Goons: The Red Hand mercenaries.
- The Federation: The Confederation of Allied Worlds.
- Guns Akimbo: Tex's special ability allows him to pull out both of his equipped weapons (which are often heavy weapons, mind you) and start blasting away.
- Killer App: At least, promoted by Microsoft as a "Halo killer". It didn't happen.
- Lethal Lava Land: Orisis and Singe. Some of Estuary too.
- Mook Lieutenant: Outcast Shamans and Seer Priests.
- Mission Control: Commander Bratton.
- Mutants: One of the enemy factions in the game.
- Oh, Crap!: A Feral Meancast does this during Brutus' introduction cutscene after said character takes a shot to the shoulder.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Flint.
- Samus Is a Girl: Tex is surprised to find out that Hawk is a woman.
- Shout-Out: When a Red Hand mercenary is killed, another may react with "They killed Kenny! I'll get those punks!"
- Slave Mooks: The aptly-named Seer Slaves.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Hawk is generally considered Awesome, but Impractical due to her stealth focus and incredibly low durability; but then comes the optional battle at the Ferguson Base, which is filled with extremely tough enemies that can murder your squad easily - if not for the fact that Hawk's Back Stab kills them in one hit.