Hi, I'm SapphireBlue. I'm a grad student in my mid-20s aiming for a degree in library and information science. I joined this site in high school after lurking for a while, and I've been here ever since. It's a really fun site to browse, and I enjoy being a part of it.
As far as the forums go, I'm most active in the video games, fanfiction, writer's block, and worldbuilding sections, as well as a few of the "just for fun" sections. Sometimes I'll go to the anime/manga section if there's something in particular I'm watching or reading, and occasionally I'll poke around the literature section. I'd probably use the visual arts section more, but it's so slow!
I can also be found on these sites:
- Archive of Our Own
- Tumblr (mostly inactive now, but I sometimes pop back over to reblog stuff)
Basically I go by Corovera everywhere except here, since I don't know if it's possible to change my name, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort.
90% of my taste in video games can be summed up as "JRPGs and Nintendo." The rest is all over the place. I love good stories in games, but I don't consider them a requirement - how much I expect of a game's story is proportional to how much emphasis the game places on it. Most of the books I read are fantasy, but I'm trying to expand my tastes, and I enjoy plenty of other things as well. I do some manga reading and anime watching as well, along with other cartoons if they look like something I'd enjoy.
Tropes that apply to me in some form:
- Apologizes a Lot: Bad habit. Working on it.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Not as much nowadays, since I'm making an effort to focus on one or two projects at a time.
- Bookworm: Less so than I was as a child, but I still love reading. I just don't do it as often as I used to.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Not always, but I have my moments.
- Cool Big Sis: To two younger brothers, although the age difference matters a lot less now that we're all adults. The three of us have always been close, though.
- Diary: I've kept journals consistently since middle school. They usually last a year or two each.
- The Idealist: I tend to see things this way, although I try to balance it with some degree of realism.
- One of the Guys: Not so much nowadays, but I had a lot of male friends when I was a kid. The dynamic is still kinda there with the ones I've stayed friends with.
- Shrinking Violet: At times, especially when the anxiety kicks in.
- Tender Tears: I cry easily. Very easily.
Tropes I particularly like:
- Adorkable: As long as it doesn't fall into the "romanticizing social anxiety" side of things, I tend to love these types of characters.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Family
- Battle Couple
- Beautiful Void
- Cool Airship
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Elemental Powers
- Full-Contact Magic
- High Fantasy
- Justified Tutorial
- Lady of Black Magic
- Magic Knight
- Magi Tech
- Noodle Implements
- Scenery Porn
- Science Hero
- Sharing a Body
- So Bad, It's Good: Definitely have a weakness for this one.
- Summon Magic
- Urban Fantasy
- Winged Humanoid
- World in the Sky: I blame Baten Kaitos and Skies of Arcadia for this.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Often applied to my own work for variety's sake.
Pet peeve tropes:
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign
- Chainmail Bikini and Stripperiffic: I don't mind small doses, but in higher concentrations it gets to be frustrating.
- Combat Stilettos
- Die for Our Ship
- Expendable Clone
- Faux Symbolism
- Girly Run
- Idiosyncratic Ship Naming: Mostly because of how incomprehensible it can be if you don't know the fandom well enough.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Only Six Faces: In extreme cases.
- Palette Swap
- Perpetual Molt: More of a minor annoyance than anything.
- Pūnct'uatìon Sh'akër: If it's overused.
- Real Is Brown: If it's like Shadow Of The Colossus where it's a stylistic choice, that's fine. Otherwise it drives me crazy.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!
- "Stop Having Fun" Guys
- Transplanted Character Fic: I'm fine with canon divergent A Us or others that retain some ties to the original setting, but these just don't do it for me. I don't mind them existing, but I do mind them flooding a given section to the point where it's hard to find anything else.
- True Art Is Angsty
- True Art Is Incomprehensible
- Unpleasable Fanbase
- What Measure Is a Non-Badass?: Don't even get me started on this one.
- You All Look Familiar