Hi, I'm SapphireBlue. I'm an aspiring librarian in my late 20s who's really, really glad to be done with grad school. I joined this site in high school after lurking for a while, and I've been here ever since. It's a really fun site to browse, and I enjoy being a part of it.
On the forums, I'm most active in the video games, fanfiction, writer's block, and worldbuilding sections, as well as a few of the "just for fun" sections. Sometimes I'll go to the anime/manga section if there's something in particular I'm watching or reading, and occasionally I'll poke around the literature section. I'd probably use the visual arts section more, but it's so slow!
I can also be found on these sites:
- Archive of Our Own
- Tumblr (mostly inactive now, but I sometimes pop back over to reblog stuff)
Basically I go by Corovera everywhere except here, since I don't want to make a whole new account.
90% of my taste in video games can be summed up as "JRPGs and Nintendo." The rest is all over the place. I love good stories in games, but I don't consider them a requirement - how much I expect of a game's story is proportional to how much emphasis the game places on it. Most of the books I read are fantasy, but I'm trying to expand my tastes, and I enjoy plenty of other things as well. I do some manga reading and anime watching as well, along with other cartoons if they look like something I'd enjoy.
Tropes that apply to me in some form:
- Apologizes a Lot: Bad habit. Working on it.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Not as much nowadays, since I'm making an effort to focus on one or two projects at a time.
- Bookworm: Less so than I was as a child, but I still love reading. I just don't do it as often as I used to.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Not always, but I have my moments.
- Cool Big Sis: To two younger brothers, although the age difference matters a lot less now that we're all adults. The three of us have always been close, though.
- Cuteness Proximity: Ohhhh yes. I also have a fairly broad definition of cute as far as animals go.
- Diary: I've kept journals consistently since middle school. They usually last a year or two each.
- The Idealist: I tend to see things this way, although I try to balance it with some degree of realism.
- Not a Morning Person: Inverted. I don't tend to stay up late unless there's something keeping my attention, and as long as I get enough sleep, I don't take long to wake up. I usually get up between 6 and 8.
- One of the Guys: Not so much nowadays, but I had a lot of male friends when I was a kid. The dynamic is still kinda there with the ones I'm still friends with.
- Plucky Girl: Nothing as dramatic as the examples on the page, but in a long-term sense, it applies. I've been through some crap, but if I have something I really want to get done, it takes a lot to make me give up.
- Tender Tears: I cry easily. Very easily.
Tropes I particularly like:
- Adorkable: As long as it doesn't fall into the "romanticizing social anxiety" side of things, I tend to love these types of characters.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Family
- Battle Couple
- Beautiful Void
- Cool Airship
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In the "if they've been this much crap, they'd better have a happy ending" sense, not the "happiness should be earned" sense.
- Elemental Powers
- Full-Contact Magic
- High Fantasy
- Justified Tutorial
- Lady of Black Magic
- Magic Knight
- Magi Tech
- Noodle Implements
- Scenery Porn
- Science Hero
- Sharing a Body
- So Bad, It's Good: Definitely have a weakness for this one.
- Summon Magic
- Urban Fantasy
- Winged Humanoid
- World in the Sky: I blame Baten Kaitos and Skies of Arcadia for this.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Often applied to my own work for variety's sake.
Pet peeve tropes:
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign
- Chainmail Bikini and Stripperiffic: I don't mind small doses, but in higher concentrations it gets to be frustrating.
- Combat Stilettos
- Die for Our Ship
- Expendable Clone
- Faux Symbolism
- Girly Run
- Idiosyncratic Ship Naming: Mostly because of how incomprehensible it can be if you don't know the fandom well enough.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Only Six Faces: In extreme cases.
- Palette Swap
- Perpetual Molt: More of a minor annoyance than anything.
- Pūnct'uatìon Sh'akër: If it's overused.
- Real Is Brown: If it's like Shadow Of The Colossus where it's a stylistic choice, that's fine. Otherwise it drives me crazy.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!
- "Stop Having Fun" Guys
- Transplanted Character Fic: I'm fine with canon divergent A Us or others that retain some ties to the original setting, but these just don't do it for me. I don't mind them existing, but I do mind them flooding a given section to the point where it's hard to find anything else.
- True Art Is Angsty
- True Art Is Incomprehensible
- Unpleasable Fanbase
- What Measure Is a Non-Badass?: Don't even get me started on this one.
- You All Look Familiar