- Actor Allusion: She's played a struggling actress in LA twice - in Mulholland Dr. and Ellie Parker.
- Creator Backlash: She wasn't fond of Diana, calling the production "a sinking ship".
- Fake American: She plays this more often than her own nationality.
- Fake Brit: She is British but grew up in Australia and so has to fake the accent. She does so in The Painted Veil, Diana and The Impossible.
- Money, Dear Boy: She has no qualms in stating tht the reason she appeared in most of her pre-Mulholland Dr. (and thus pre-fame) movies was that she needed the money.
- Old Shame: Most of her films before Mulholland Dr., which she did just for the money.
- Playing Gertrude: Just about. There's only eighteen years between her and her on-screen son Theo James (who is relying heavily on Dawson Casting) in Divergent. Evelyn does at least say she was "very young" when she ran away. If her age is the same as Naomi's, that would put her at twenty-two when she faked her death.
- Playing with Character Type: She's normally some kind of The Woobie who endures a lot of suffering. As Evelyn in the Divergent films, she's a Jerkass Woobie who causes a lot of suffering. She's also brunette!
- Reality Subtext: She has a fear of swimming in deep water, making some of her scenes in The Impossible rather appropriate.
- Romance on the Set: With Liev Schreiber while filming The Painted Veil. Though they had met before they started filming. They separated in the fall of 2016.
- Star-Making Role: Mulholland Dr. and The Ring were pretty significant turning points in her career.
- Those Two Actors: She's starred with Sean Penn in three films.
- What Could Have Been:
- She was the first choice for The Constant Gardener. She had to decline due to commitments to King Kong (2005) and the role went to Rachel Weisz - who won an Oscar for it.
- She was offered and turned down the role of Sue Storm in Fantastic Four (2005). Jessica Alba got the part.
- She was offered the role of Narcissa Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but her agency rejected it before she ever found out, and the producers ultimately went with Helen McCrory.
- She was slated to play Regan in a film adaptation of King Lear in 2009, alongside Al Pacino as Lear, Gwyneth Paltrow as Goneril and Keira Knightley as Cordelia. The project never got off the ground.
- She was forced to turn down both Melinda and Melinda and Cassandra's Dream due to scheduling conflicts. She finally got to work with Woody Allen in You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger.
- She really wanted the part of Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises but was deemed too old, and it went to Anne Hathaway.
Trivia / Naomi Watts