Your nose and mouth are linked, in fact they're even linked (via your sinuses) to your eyes. So when Bob is taking a big swig of his nice nutritional milk and Alice makes Bob laugh there are only a few places that milk can go. You either choke, spit it out or, through the magic of pressure, force the milk out of your nose. None of these are a good look (and are in fact rather painful if you've ever actually had it happen to you), but if you can manage to get it out your eyes then you may get on TV so it's not all bad.
Usually a comedy trope. More common with younger children because, well they're generally happy anyway, and not restricted to milk; fizzy drinks, coffee, tea....vomit all can be yours to smell for the rest of the day.
Compare Spit Take, where it comes out your mouth instead and usually is caused by surprise rather than laughter.
- Jeff Foxworthy has a story about when the women in his family were trying on skinny jeans and his mother-in-law joined in. His daughter went, "Gramma, you shouldn't draw on your legs with a blue magic marker!" which made Jeff spray a glass of milk out his nose.
- In Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk comic, the Ranger squirts tea out of his nose when the Priestess announces that she and the Barbarian have "consummated their love".
- Garfield once made Jon squirt soda out of his nose◊. Given a Call-Back in a later strip: his description of this puts Garfield off his food, which is quite an achievement, as Garfield lampshades.
- When Jon is about to tell what he's going to do to impress his date, Garfield makes a point to finish his soda first so it won't squirt out of his nose.
- In a Calvin and Hobbes strip, Calvin attempts to explain why something that happened at school was so funny, before ultimately admitting it was because it caused milk to shoot out of a kid's nose.
- Zits: Connie does this once.
- In Inside Out, this is used to demonstrate how differently Joy and Sadness see things. Joy remembers Riley laughing and squirting milk out of her nose positively; Sadness remembers how much the sensation hurt.
- Incredibles 2: Violet squirts water out of her nose upon seeing Tony Rydinger working as a waiter at the restaurant Bob is taking her to (his family owns the place). This even provides the page's image above.
- Hudson Hawk. In the scene where Eddie and Tommy are paralyzed by curare, they make a number of funny statements while one of their captors (named Butterfinger) is drinking something. He starts laughing and tells them "You made it come out of my nose."
- In Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday, Junie B. and Lucille see chocolate milk come out of Paulie Allen Puffer's nose while he's laughing. Junie B. says she thinks it's called nose milk. Lucille is too disgusted to finish her cake, so Junie B. offers to take it to the trash and then eats it.
- A Not Always Right entry involving one of these en masse, courtesy of a female restaurant diner overheard saying:
"But I can't testify! I don't have testiculars!"
- Edward: In one episode, Edward's son sprays milk out of his nose, laughing at his dad's question about calling milk "bovine juice".
- Family Guy: Peter Griffin once sprays milk out his nose and hits Brian and a blonde visitor with it.
Tommy: So what have I missed?
- In the episode, "Hiccups", this happens to Tommy when he tries to drink his milk while suffering from a case of the hiccups.
- The spin-off, All Grown Up! has it discussed in the episode, "All Broke Up Again":
Lil: Well Phil was drinking some chocolate milk and it spat out of his nose.
- Happens to Gerald in Hey Arnold!, all you need to do is say booger.
- The cartoon, "Milk, It Makes a Body Spout" from the Tiny Toon Adventures episode "Here's Hamton" involves Buster and Plucky competing to see who can make Hamton laugh so hard, milk squirts out his nose first.
- In a flashback episode of The Simpsons Bart finds his niche as Class Clown when he makes Milhouse squirt milk out of his nose from laughing.
- The South Park episode "Cherokee Hair Tampons" had a Running Gag where Cartman squirts milk out of his nose whenever he's laughing, except he wasn't actually drinking anything at the time. At the end of the episode, the Everybody Laughs Ending is interrupted when milk squirts out of Kyle's nose. Cartman has the last laugh, saying Kyle got the crappy kidney from him.
- In The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Jimmy successfully attempts by accidental Banana Peel to make Cindy and Libby laugh until the smoothie come out of their noses as an experiment for his time-powered remote control when previous attempts by Sheen and Carl fail to do so. When Jimmy's dad gets hold of the remote control, he continues to unintentionally time-torture Cindy and Libby until they get a brain freeze.