Larry, Bill. and Everett are three U.S. Army Reservists and total ne'er do wells who use their reserve weekends to hangout and drink beer. Larry has just split with his girlfriend, who was pregnant with someone else's baby. Bill lives in a trailer park with his monstrous wife. Everett, a former cop, lives in a storage unit, after being fired after only two days for crashing his cruiser into a Beauty par-, I mean Nail Salon.
During their monthly reserve weekend, the war in Iraq is heating up slightly and needs more American troops. After being fully recruited into the Army, against their will but in full compliance with their Reserve contract they are on a plane to Iraq. After falling asleep in a Humvee which gets jettisoned mid-flight, they find themselves in what looks like an Iraqi desert. Turns out they just got dumped in Mexico, and it takes a while for them to realize it.
This film includes examples of:
- Artistic License – Geography: To whom it may concern: Iraq is east of the United States, while Mexico is southwest-ish. Rule of Funny aside, really?
- Berserk Button: Carlos Santana really doesn't like being mistaken for... Carlos Santana.
- Black Comedy Rape: It's implied that the two men who picked up the Sarge were planning to do this to him.
- Butt-Monkey: Sgt. Killgore.
- Cameo: Jeff Dunham and José Jalapeno (on a stick) make an appearance as prisoners forced to entertain Carlos Santana.
- Cloud Cuckoolander / The Obi-Wannabe: Everett is a bastion of bad ideas and advice.
- Comically Missing the Point: Everett can't shut up and tends to comment on unrelated subject matter in any situation.Mook: [laughing] You're not in Iraq, Gringo.Larry: Gringo? That's what you say in... Oh my GOD!Everett: What?...Are we in France?
- Disney Death: When the boys land in Mexico, they think the Sarge is dead and bury him, but he's just passed out from heatstroke.
- Distracted by the Sexy: "THOSE appear to be C-cups!"
- Eagleland: Naturally, since it stars Larry the Cable Guy.
- Henpecked Husband: Bill Engvall feels safer in what he thinks is Iraq than with his wife.
- Hypocritical Humor: Larry makes fun of a fat lady at the restaurant he works at by saying it looks like she's never eaten a salad in her life. This is of course Larry the Cable Guy who's saying this.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Even with Bill manning a M240 machine gun, no one (but Bill at the end) gets shot. Even Santana can't hit the "Amazing" Ken, but shoots his puppet Rufus dead center in the face.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Everett tends to do this a lot.
- The Neidermeyer: Killgore, although he evolves into more of a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Oh, Crap!: "We invaded Mexico!"
- Punch-Clock Villain: Between terrorizing a Mexican village and killing incompetent mooks, the Big Bad likes to sing karaoke and watch pro wrestling.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Larry at the end when he refuses to leave and points out that the Mexican villagers are as in need of freedom and democracy as any Iraqis.
- Shot in the Ass: This happens to Bill at the end, the only one in the movie to get shot.
- Too Dumb to Live: Everett is seen messing around with an old cannon multiple times and even says "I'll get this thing to work if it kills me!"
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue
- Your Cheating Heart: Larry proposes to his pregnant girlfriend in front of an entire restaurant, only to find out that the baby isn't his. He consoles himself by shooting everything he owns that reminds him of her.