"The Revolution succeeded; it crumbled afterwards only because those whose lives got revolutionized did not follow up on the revolutionary success," said the Bride, her words setting their closed hearts aflame. "This time, will you help us help you?"
Seinen Kakumei Utena is a Revolutionary Girl Utena and Penguindrum Crossover Continuation Fan Fic by gorgeousshutin. Knowledge of Penguindrum is not necessary to understanding the story (though it helps in easing some imagery), as the Penguindrum cast gets introduced starting from scratch.
The story begins ten years after Utena's revolution, with the former Duelists now young adults struggling through the day-by-day in the real world. They soon get their humdrum lives disrupted by Anthy, who shows up to draw them into this war she is now waging against Akio. Turns out that Anthy has found Utena some time ago, and they have allied themselves with Tokiko and the graduated Mikage. Utena has been left physically and emotionally scarred by events stemming from the final duel; Akio's power, which Anthy intends to seize, may be the only way to mend the damage. This proves an utmost dangerous undertaking, as Akio has grown a lot more powerful throughout the past decade. Also on Anthy's side are two otherworldly, penguin-keeping boys who have seemingly forgotten about their past: a past that might connect Ohtori to a notorious terrorist group responsible for attacking the Tokyo Subway sixteen years ago.
What follows is an elaborately narrated epic that literally includes the entire named Utena cast, and maybe more. On top of the secondary characters now getting to share the spotlight alongside the heroines(?), even background characters like Tokiko, Mrs. Ohtori, Mamiya, and Tatsuya all are significant to the plot. A lot of Penguindrum characters have already been introduced to the story, and their appearances all serve to move the story along. Despite having so many characters, this lengthy story never feels like it is losing focus. Rather, the multiple storylines all converge smoothly together into this riveting tale about the value of friendship, of selfless love, of fighting for what one believes in. This being a Utena and Penguindrum crossover, there are a lot of potentially disturbing elements throughout the story. Sensitive readers should read the warnings before proceeding.
This Fan Fic contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Touga and Saionji were raped and beaten by their fathers respectively, and Kanae's mother neglects and gives zero shits about her compared to her half siblings Miki and Kozue, who were at least watched over by Mrs. Ohtori by afar.
- Abuse Mistake: Nanami accuses her and Touga's real birth parents Kenzan and Chiemi Takakura of being this, understandably having the impression that they sold them to the Kiryuus to get rid of their debts. However, this issue is swiftly cleared up when it is explained that the Takakuras were actually coerced into giving them up by loan sharks after they threatened to kill Nanami.
- Ascended Extra: Tokiko and Mrs. Ohtori are most prominent examples of such. Mamiya , Tatsuya, Keiko, Mr. Ohtori, Mr. Kaoru etc also fits this bill.
- Ascended Fridge Horror: Story takes many Fridge Horror elements existing in the Utena and Penguindrum canons and takes them all Up to Eleven.
- Action Girl: Pretty much all female Utena characters, plus Masako (Penguindrum).
- After the End: Story begins ten years after the Duel called Revolution, and several weeks after the Fate Train Transfer.
- Always Save the Girl: Anthy does this for Utena, event though Utena has already changed gender by then.
- Anachronic Order: The story alternates between the present timeframe and various other timeframes.
- And I Must Scream: Mamiya, who first got imprisoned inside Anthy's heart/psyche during the Black Rose timeline, and later Mrs. Ohtori's.
- Anti-Hero: Utena, both when still-infested by the Swords of Hate, and when he later finds out Anthy had a hand in her parents' death. Anthy, who is as loyal towards Utena as she is manipulative towards everyone, is also this throughout much of the story.
- Anti-Villain: Anthy is very close to being this.
- The Apocalypse Brings Out the Best in People: Wakaba, who has her moment of awesome in being the first to battle the Swords of Hate. Many of the other characters on Anthy's side also become better people after being put through the many trials they face throughout the story.
- Back Story: Everyone who is anyone has one.
- Back from the Dead: Ruka, coming back as a powerful ghost allied with Momoka (Penguindrum).
- Big Bad: Akio, who now turns up the evil factor by being the backer of Kiga (see Penguindrum). He was also the mastermind behind the 95 Kiga Subway Attack, which also killed Utena's parents. Since years ago, he has been operating various broilers (including Penguindrum's Child Broiler) all around Japan. These broilers continuously burn vast sums of unsuspecting people into fuel (think the hundred burned assistants at Nemuro Hall) to power Akio's magic all across the country. The result is that much of the population gets degenerated into soul-lacking, will-lacking "invisible people" (the gender symbol people seen in Penguindrum). He also has Kanae take the Swords of Hate for him when Anthy and co sent the Million that got drawn out of Utena back at him. The most brutal thing he does is perhaps his setting up a battle between his crazed pawn Keiko and Anthy, forcing Anthy to kill the woman and become a criminal in the eyes of the media. His latest grand scheme involves using his current top pawn, the popular idol Seen (who is really a surgically enhanced Tatsuya) to do a concert at Tokyo Big Egg, with the show being a ploy to zap the penguindrums off the fifty-thousand audience members for use in baiting and capturing the cosmic force Fate (the Fate Train in Penguindrum).
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mrs. Ohtori to Mamiya during the Nemuro Research Era.
- Cool Car: Mikagemobile, and later, Mrs. Ohtori, Utena, Shiori, Kozue, and Wakaba's car forms.
- Character Development: Most characters get that in huge doses, but Kozue especially so. She gradually changes from a drug-addicted mess to a caring adult through her interactions with Kanba and Shouma (Penguindrum), whose unfortunate situation draws out her nurturing, baby-bird-saving side.
- Present for the main cast even in the story's beginning, because while they're dissatisfied with the state of their lives in present day and have multiple emotional issues that are addressed as the fic goes on, they've become significantly more mature and empathetic adults in ten years than the children they were at the time of the anime.
- Creepy Child: Mrs. Ohtori, Mamiya and Sanetoshi (Penguindrum) during theNemuro Research Era, Touga in the various "pre-revolution" timeframes. Subverted with Kanba and Shouma (Penguindrum), who have become half their age and inhuman-looking (think Shadow Girls) after the Fate Train Transfer. They are used for the alien/fear factor at first, but quickly become endearing via their interaction with Kozue.
- Damsel in Distress: Himari (Penguindrum), at first. Though it later gets subverted asRuka and Momoka (Penguindrum) recruits her to "revolutionize the world" by becoming an idol to change the Japanese view on criminal's relatives, saying it's the only way to revert Kanba and Shouma (Penguindrum) back to their old human selves.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Touga and Saionji's backstory in here, with Saionji first meeting Touga while the former was getting raped like in the Movie, and he himself was getting clubbed by his deranged birthfather.
- Every Man Has His Price: The Duelists Anthy recruits all initially receives a promise to receive some miracle(s) from her should they help Utena fight Akio. Instances of this includes Juri and Shiori getting the promise that their careers in the fashion biz will take off, and Wakaba getting the promise of a promotion at her magazine, plus her book getting published. Though it is a effective method in drawing them in, it creates a lot of guilt that gets thrown around for some episodes, before everyone gradually put it aide as they simply fight on for what they think is right and necessary. Later in the story, Himari (Penguindrum) gets told by Ruka and Momoka (Penguindrum) that the only way to help her brothers regain humanity is for her to brave the world's hatred and "revolutionize the world".
- The Faceless: Shouma and Kanba (Penguindrum), who lost all memories and and become both half their age and inhuman-looking (think Shadow Girls) after the Fate Train Transfer
- Forgotten First Meeting: Here, Utena actually met both Touga and Saionji two years before the night of her parents' funeral, back then she was a spoiled rotten little girly girl, and the boys victims of horrifying abuses. Unbeknown to her, she subsequently got herself periodically stalked by a jealous and obsessed Touga for years afterwards.
- Grey-and-Grey Morality: This is a highly authentic Utena and Penguindrum crossover.
- Greek Chorus: The shadow-play girls, along with Shouma and Kanba (Penguindrum) during the earlier chapters.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Mamiya, who willingly offered himself up to Akio and Anthy in place of Tokiko Â who unwittingly signed a contract with Akio Â during the Nemuro Research timeframe. This was how he became the Anthy/Mamiya fusion character seen in the Utena TV show.
- Improbable Age: Sanetoshi was in fourth grade at Ohtori during the Nemuro Research Timeframe, and he was a child genuis whom Nemuro's Hundred Assistants rely on for help with their research. He also invented the perpetual motion AI robots that are to eventually become the high-intelligence Takakura family Penguins (Penguindrum).
- Lady and Knight: Subverted by Anthy and Utena, as their relationship after the reunion has their turbulent moments throughout the entire story.
- Ladykiller in Love: Saionji, still deemed attractive by Wakaba, but is still stubbornly in love with Touga. Tatsuya, having undergone surgeries to become the popular idol singer Seen, is hinted to be still fixated on Wakaba.
- Literal Metaphor: Akio's long-time quest to catch the (Fate) Train.
- Love Dodecahedron: Utena and Anthy are now a couple, but shares emotional closeness with Touga still. Touga, who carries on his beyond platonic relationship Saionji despite still pining after Utena. Mikage loves both Tokiko and Mamiya, with Mamiya reciprocating his feelings while also in love with Mrs. Ohtori. Mrs. Ohtori, who loves only Mamiya, but carries on her sexual relationships with Akio, Mr.Ohtori, Mr. Kaoru to further her hidden agenda. Ruka is hinted to be in a relationship with Momoka (Penguindrum), but seem to still have feelings for Juri.
- Love Redeems: Anthy, after Utena finally forgives her for killing her parents. Though whether or not Anthy makes a full Heel-Face Turn is up for debate.
- My Kung Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: Played with in the numerous fight scenes throughout the story.
- Mysterious Waif: Momoka (penguindrum) was this to Touga, Saionji, and Utena, back when they met as young children.
- Never Grew Up: Mamiya, and to some extend, Mrs. Ohtori and Momoka (penguindrum).
- Personality Blood Types: Nanami and Utena both being type-Bs is used in this story to highlight how Utena is maybe highly similar to Nanami, especially back before her parents died.
- Rape as Backstory: Touga, whose Movie-canon childhood gets deeply explored here.
- Really 700 Years Old: Along with Akio and Anthy, Mikage, Tokiko, Mamiya and Mrs. Ohtori are all much older than they look.
- Scenery Porn: Achieved textually via the elaborate narration in various scenes.
- Shapeshifting: Mrs. Ohtori can apparently appear as her own twelve year old self, both to Mamiya existing within her heart, and to people out in the real world (like Touga). There is also the fact that she and numerous other characters can transform into cars just like in the movie.
- Teen Genius: Mr. Ohtori and Mr. Kaoru, both of whom used to be members of Nemuro's Hundred Student Assistants.
- Teen Pregnancy: Mrs. Ohtori, who could not be more than fifteen when she gave birth to Kanae after getting raped by a young Mr. Ohtori and Mr. Kaoru, at the same time.
- Tragic Hero: Utena, Anthy, Ruka, Saionji can all be argued.