- We are S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s: Scavengers Trespassers Adventurers Loners Killers Explorers Robbers. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the most dangerous place on Earth, is our home. Radiation, killer mutants and deadly anomalies are just another day at the office -just another day in the Zone, as we say. We get by, day after day, by scavenging gear, trespassing and exploring in forbidden areas, seeking for new adventures, all on our own; we kill for money, loot or survival and sometimes rob each other. Well, not everyone does the robbing part, that would be the Bandits' job.I named myself Strider. I am a free stalker and I do not even know what I am doing here, not that I care anyway.My name is Vano. I'm a free stalker and one of Strider's rare friends. It's a peculiar predicament, trust me.My name is Celestia. I'm a free stalker and just want to get back home. Well, I wanted.This is our story.
After an accident with a strange anomaly in the Everfree Forest, Celestia is trapped in alternative world in the place filled with mutants, killers, even more anomalies and her magical powers are very weakened. Now, with the help of two Stalkers (and their future allies and friends) she must learn how to survive in this dangerous place which Zone is and find way to home.
The fic can be read here.
It also has a sequel.
See The Zone And Survive contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Celestia.
- Animalistic Abomination / Humanoid Abomination: Zone's mutants, of course.
- Attempted Rape: Happened to Celestia.
- Bald of Awesome: Strider.
- Badass Army: Dawn - Faction created by Strider, Celestia and their merry band. Not only they have a large number of really good soldiers and mercenaries, assload of firearms, shitload of ammo but also a freaking tanks (two T-80B and one T-64BM), APCs (two BTR-70K), IFVs (four BMP-2M) and helicopters (three Mi-24D and two Mi-26S) plus workshop and maintenance bay for them. Plus, they have their own R&D section.
- Bear Hug: Celestia receives one from a power-armored Strider.
- Berserk Button: Trying to hurt Celestia is this for Strider.
- BFG: Strider obtains a BFG-50A rifle.
- Big Damn Heroes: Two moments:
- In Chapter 1, Strider arrives in the nick of time to almost casually kill two Bloodsuckers and save Celestia.
- In Chapter 7, Vano and Snag show up to save Strider and Celestia when they're weakened and surrounded.
- Brought Down to Badass: The global magic field of our world is so weak that, while she can still fly, use her TK, walk on clouds, and once literally exploded in self-defense, Celestia can't do anything powerful, complex, or subtle. Plus, some of the Zone's artifacts can absorb magic. But it does not stop her being dangerous after she learned how to use guns.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Celestia almost faint after one glass of vodka. (To be fair, it's vodka, so it's have more alcohol inside that most of the beverages).
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Strider vs. 35 bandits.
- The Engineer: Celestia is quite good at being this.
- Flashback: Almost the whole story is basically telling the reader How We Got Here.
- Friendly Sniper: Strider. Cold Sniper too, considering his past.
- Gentle Giant: Vano. 220 centimeters of height, 130 kg of weight, posture of a bear, wears power armor, loves big guns and he is incredibly friendly.
- Gun Porn: Oh so very, very much.
- Ignoring by Singing: Rookie reaction when Strider said that Celestia is a beast in bed.Rookie: YA ne khochu znat'! LALALALALALA YA NE SLUSHAU!
- Immortality: Strider, accidentally. As long as he isn't incinerated, vaporized, ripped to shreds or decapitated, he can regenerate his limbs and organs. Oh, and he's ageless now. Celestia is both happy and worried about this.
- Additionally, he also gain Healing Hands ability.
- Interspecies Romance: Strider and Celestia.
- It Gets Easier: Celestia gets increasingly comfortable with violence as time goes on.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Vano mentioned they need to advance the plot.
- MacGyvering: Strider making a defibrillator with two artifacts to save Celestia.
- Magnetic Weapons: In Chapter 12 we have the Infantry Marksman Railgun Mark 3.
- More Dakka: Vano's mondus operandi in dealing with enemies.
- Powered Armor: Strider and Vano's exosuits.
- Shout-Out: When Vano introduce himself and his machine gun to Celestia in Chapter 3.
- Some of the nick-names of major Degtyarev in Chapter 11.
- Time Skip: Between Chapter 12 and Interlude.
- Too Dumb to Live: In final chapter, some random bandits shows up and started firing at APC in which our heroes was, using some light and weak small arms. For their efforts, they were torn to shreds by BTR's heavy machine gun.
- Trapped in Another World: The entire premise.
- You Can Talk??: Almost any time when someone meets Celestia for the first time.