- We are S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s: Scavengers Trespassers Adventurers Loners Killers Explorers Robbers. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the most dangerous place on Earth, is our home. Radiation, killer mutants and deadly anomalies are just another day at the office -just another day in the Zone, as we say. We get by, day after day, by scavenging gear, trespassing and exploring in forbidden areas, seeking for new adventures, all on our own; we kill for money, loot or survival and sometimes rob each other. Well, not everyone does the robbing part, that would be the Bandits' job.I named myself Strider. I am a free stalker and I do not even know what I am doing here, not that I care anyway.My name is Vano. I'm a free stalker and one of Strider's rare friends. It's a peculiar predicament, trust me.My name is Celestia. I'm a free stalker and just want to get back home. Well, I wanted.This is our story.
After an accident with a strange anomaly in the Everfree Forest, Celestia is trapped in an alternate world filled with mutants, killers, an more anomalies; her magical powers are heavily weakened. Now, with the help of two Stalkers (and their future allies and friends) she must learn how to survive in this dangerous place which Zone is and find way to home.
The fic can be read here.
It also has a sequel.
See the Zone and Survive provides examples of:
- Badass Army: Dawn - Faction created by Strider, Celestia and their merry band. Not only they have a large number of really good soldiers and mercenaries, assload of firearms, shitload of ammo but also a freaking tanks (two T-80B and one T-64BM), APCs (two BTR-70K), IFVs (four BMP-2M) and helicopters (three Mi-24D and two Mi-26S) plus workshop and maintenance bay for them. Plus, they have their own R&D section.
- Berserk Button: Trying to hurt Celestia is this for Strider.
- BFG: Strider obtains a BFG-50A rifle.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- In Chapter 1, Strider arrives in the nick of time to almost casually kill two Bloodsuckers and save Celestia.
- In Chapter 7, Vano and Snag show up to save Strider and Celestia when they're weakened and surrounded.
- Brought Down to Badass: The global magic field of our world is so weak that, while she can still fly, use her TK, walk on clouds, and once literally exploded in self-defense, Celestia can't do anything powerful, complex, or subtle. Plus, some of the Zone's artifacts can absorb magic. But it does not stop her being dangerous after she learned how to use guns.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Celestia almost faints after one glass of vodka. To be fair, vodka has a greater alcohol content than most other beverages.
- Gentle Giant: Vano. 220 centimeters of height, 130 kg of weight, posture of a bear, wears power armor, loves big guns and he is incredibly friendly.
- Ignoring by Singing: Rookie reaction when Strider said that Celestia is a beast in bed.Rookie: YA ne khochu znat'! LALALALALALA YA NE SLUSHAU!
- Immortality: Strider, accidentally. As long as he isn't incinerated, vaporized, ripped to shreds or decapitated, he can regenerate his limbs and organs. Oh, and he's ageless now. Celestia is both happy and worried about this. He also gains Healing Hands ability.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Vano mentiones they need to advance the plot.
- MacGyvering: Strider makes a defibrillator with two artifacts to save Celestia.
- Powered Armor: Strider and Vano's exosuits.
- Shout-Out: When Vano introduce himself and his machine gun to Celestia in Chapter 3.
- Some of the nick-names of major Degtyarev in Chapter 11.
- Too Dumb to Live: In the final chapter, some random bandits shows up and start firing at the heroes in APC using some light and weak small arms. For their efforts, they get torn to shreds by BTR's heavy machine gun.
- You Can Talk??: Almost any time when someone meets Celestia for the first time.