Thomas Kretschmann (born 8 September 1962) is a German actor. He was born in East Germany, but eventually escaped after a month-long trek through Hungary, Yugoslavia, and Austria.
Has played Nazis in at least eleven different movies, including two different movies called Stalingrad.
Works he's appeared in:
- Stalingrad (1993) — Lt. Hans von Witzland
- Total Recall 2070 (1999) — Nick Blanchard
- U-571 (2000) — Capt.-Lt. Gunther Wassner
- Blade II (2002) — Overlord Eli Damaskinos
- The Pianist (2002) — Captain Wilm Hosenfeld
- 24 (2003) — Max
- Immortal (2004) — Alcide Nikopol
- Downfall (2004) — Hermann Fegelein
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) — Major Tom Cain
- King Kong (2005) — Captain Englehorn
- Next (2007) — Mr. Smith
- Wanted (2008) — Cross
- Valkyrie (2008) — Major Otto Ernst Remer
- FlashForward (2009) — Stefan Krieger
- The Cape (2011) — Gregor Molotov
- Cars 2 (2011) — Professor Z (voice)
- The River (2012) — Captain Kurt Brynildson
- Stalingrad (2013) — Kapitan Kan
- Dracula — Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2014 — 2015) as Baron Wolfgang von Strucker:
- Ballon (2018) — Oberstleutnant Seidel
- Dragged Across Concrete (2019) — Lorentz Vogelmann
- Project Blue Book (2019) — Wernher von Braun
- Irony as She Is Cast: In Ballon, he plays a Stasi agent who tries to stop the East German balloon escape. Kretschmann himself was an East German escapee.
- Typecasting: He has starred in a dozen unrelated films as a Wehrmacht soldier or Nazi official during World War II, including Stalingrad, U-571, Valkyrie, The Pianist, Downfall, Eichmann, The Nazi Officer's Wife, The Sinking of the Laconia, and even another Stalingrad film. In fairness, he usually plays them sympathetically.