Hugo Wallace Weaving (born April 4, 1960 in Ibadan, Nigeria) is a Nigerian-born British-Australian actor best known for playing Agent Smith in The Matrix trilogy, Elrond in Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, V in V for Vendetta, Megatron in Transformers, and the Red Skull in the 2011 Captain America: The First Avenger, among others such as The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
For Australians over a certain age, he will also be remembered for his portrayal of 1932-33 Ashes series English cricket captain Douglas Jardine in Bodyline, an Australian 1984 television miniseries dramatising the controversial season. A bit like Agent Smith in the 1930's, if he only despised Australian humans, and was only allowed to kill them with a cricket ball.
Undeniably One of Us, as he has said that the reason he played characters like Elrond and Agent Smith was to get action figures made out of his characters so he could make them fight each other. Nonetheless he has also expressed particular indifference to his roles as Megatron and the Red Skull, his contempt for the former character earning him hostility from Michael Bay who suggested he donate all his "Megatron" paychecks to an elephant charity.
His paternal niece, Samara Weaving, is an actress.
Roles of Note:
- Proof (1991) — Martin (won the AACTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role)
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) — Anthony "Tick" Belrose
- Babe (1995) — Rex
- The Interview (1998) — Eddie Rodney Fleming (won the AACTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role)
- The Matrix Trilogy (1999-2003) — Agent Smith
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003) and The Hobbit (2012-2014) — Elrond
- Little Fish (2005) — Lionel Dawson (won the AACTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role)
- V for Vendetta (2005) — V
- Happy Feet (2006) — Noah
- Transformers (2007) — Megatron
- Last Ride (2009) — Kev
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) — Megatron
- The Wolfman (2010) (2010) — Abberline
- Oranges and Sunshine (2010) — Jack
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010) — Noctus and Grimble
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) — Johann Schmidt / The Red Skull
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) — Megatron
- Cloud Atlas (2012) — Half the bad guys, one bad ''woman'', and a couple other characters.
- Mystery Road (2013) — Johnno
- The Turning (2013) — Bob Lang
- Hacksaw Ridge (2016) — Tom Doss (won the AACTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role)
- Patrick Melrose (2018) — David Melrose.
- Mortal Engines (2018) — Thaddeus Valentine.