Dakota Mayi Johnson (born October 4, 1989 in Austin, Texas) is an American actress and model best known for her performance as Anastasia Steele in the film Fifty Shades of Grey.
She was born to actors Don Johnson, of Miami Vice fame, and Melanie Griffith (making her Tippi Hedren's granddaughter). When the couple divorced and Griffith married Spanish actor Antonio Banderas, Dakota became a stepdaughter to him. Dakota's debut as an actress was in the first movie Banderas directed, the 1999 dramedy Crazy in Alabama starring Melanie Griffith. She played the role of one of Griffith's character's daughters.
After finishing her studies she returned acting in David Fincher's 2010 film about the origins of Facebook The Social Network starring opposite Justin Timberlake as Amelia the first date we see when his character is introduced. Following this, she had prominent roles in Beastly, 21 Jump Street, The Five-Year Engagement, Need for Speed and Ben and Kate (her first television work).
Then she was announced to play Anastasia "Ana" Steele the lead female of the infamous Fan Fic-turned erotic book trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey in its film adaptation, her most famous role to date; she returned for the sequels Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed.
Not to be confused with Dakota Fanning.
- The Social Network (2010) - Amelia Ritter
- Beastly (2011) - Sloan Hagen
- 21 Jump Street (2012) - Fugazy
- The Five-Year Engagement (2012) - Audrey
- The Office (2013) as Dakota
- Need for Speed (2014) - Anita
- Anarchy (2014) - Imogen
- Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) - Anastasia "Ana" Steele
- Fifty Shades Darker (2017)
- Fifty Shades Freed (2018)
- Black Mass (2015) as Lindsey Cyr
- Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) - Emily Summerspring
- Suspiria (2018) as Susie Bannion
- The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) as Eleanor
- The High Note (2020) as Maggie Sherwoode
She provides examples of:
- The Danza: In the The Office (US) finale she plays Kevin's replacement whose name is Dakota.
- Dyeing for Your Art: In most of her films she keeps her natural blond hair, but she has been brunette in films Need for Speed and Fifty Shades of Grey, and is now playing a redhead in Suspiria.
- Star-Making Role: Fifty Shades of Grey.
- Those Two Actors: Apart from her work on Fifty Shades of Grey series, she's starred in three different projects with actor Nicholas Braun (Cousin Greg from HBO's Succession): Date and Switch (2014), the short In a Relationship (2014), and How To Be Single (2016).