Characters that appear in Janet King.
National Crimes Commission
- Appearances: Janet KingPortrayed by: Damian Walshe-Howling
A former police chief and key figure at both the DPP and NCC. Eventually he becomes the head of the DPP.
- Amoral Attorney: Owen Mitchell openly admits to fudging evidence to put away criminals or lying about deals to convince witnesses to go to trial. Not to mention the fact he's the one leaking rumors about Janet and Erin to the press, potentially costing Janet her job.
- Foil: To Ben. While Ben was a laid-back Loveable Rogue who deep down cared for his co-workers, Owen is a Smug Snake who cares about no-one.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: He's usually the bad cop when trying to get information out of suspects or even witnesses.
- I'm Not Here to Make Friends: Never shown socialising with his colleagues outside of work, unless they're with the police force. He had a brief fling with Bonnie, but this was later revealed to be a ploy to leak info from Janet.
- Insufferable Genius: Owen is great at closing cases, but is completely dismissive of his coworkers and utterly convinced of his own genius. It has also been said that the DPP under his management is the best it has ever been.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Just when it seems like Darren Faulkes is going to jail, Owen comes in and reveals via some convoluted information that he's immune from any sort of punishment. Knowing his history with Janet, it's not too far-fetched to assume he enjoyed humbling her.
- Token Evil Teammate: Even before it was revealed that he conspired with Jack to undermine Janet, Owen has never made an effort to hide the fact that he's not as decent as the rest of the cast.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Leah Purcell
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Geraldine Viswanathan
Judges & Other Law Enforcers
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 1)Portrayed by: Tiriel Mora
- Asshole Victim: Is killed off mere hours after threatening to make life difficult for Janet.
- Hanging Judge: His last words to Janet make it clear that he's out to get her. His murder was a dodged bullet.
- Jerkass: Takes an almost perverse delight in accentuating the rumour that Janet and Erin are sleeping together.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Philip Quast
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 1)Portrayed by: Vince Colosimo
- Anti-Villain: Believes that distributing child porn is the best deterrent from actual paedophilia.
- Arc Villain: In the first series of Janet King, which reveals that he was targeting Janet for trying to take down a paedophile ring.
- Berserk Button: Giving any kind of control to the DPP, when the police are more likely to have first-hand information.
- Control Freak: Wants the police to have more judicial powers. It's implied that this attitude exists throughout the entire police force.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2 & 3)Portrayed by: Anita Hegh
An undercover investigator and Janet's second love interest.
- Action Girlfriend: She's a cop who is willing to get roughed up. Case in point being when she left herself bruised and bloody to make it look like she'd been attacked by an abusive partner, as she didn't think makeup would be convincing enough.
- Clark Kenting: She sweet-talks a witness into helping her catch a criminal.
- Nice Girl: Very compassionate.
- Replacement Goldfish: Janet falls for her over the course of Series 2.
- Second Love: For Janet.
- Appearances: Janet KingPortrayed by: Akos Armont (Drew), Harriet Dyer (Maya)
- Parental Abuse: Drew's father once left him out to bleed at the age of 5. Drew has hated him ever since.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Melissa Bonne
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Simon Elrahi (Bahman Nobakht), Sarah Asmanious (Elaheh Wilson), Rahel Romahn (Sam Nobakht), Omar Al-Sobky (Amil Nobakht), Cheree Cassidy (Susie Nobakht)
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Don Hany
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Zoe Terakes
The younger sister of an aspiring football player who died under suspicious circumstances.
- Broken Bird: Owing to her brother's death, her abusive parents and a series of people who treat her like crap, she's understandably snide most of the time.
- Damsel in Distress: The first time we see her, she's getting groped by some rowdy football players. Richard was a witness but couldn't bring himself to intervene, leaving him racked with guilt.
- Jailbait: She's only 15, but gets a lot of unwanted attention from grown men. She uses this to her advantage and stays at Flynn's place in exchange for sex.
- When She Smiles: After Janet gets her an apartment at her own expense and helps her enroll in a new school that would let her practice soccer, Pearl changes for the better and the series ends with her finally being happy.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 1)Portrayed by: Peter Adams
- Parental Incest: Averted. It turns out he draws the line at his daughter.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 1)Portrayed by: Darren Gilshenan
A photographer with questionable subject material.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Ewen Leslie
A sports ground manager rallying against corrupt politicians.
- Arc Villain: His gun racket drives the plot for Series 2 of Janet King.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Attorney General Lincoln. Boccaro bribes Lincoln in return for looking the other way while black market guns are distributed, one of which was used to kill Ashleigh.
- Bright Is Not Good: Wears beige suits.
- The Conspiracy: He sold a black-market gun to Ashleigh's killer.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Sets himself up as a philanthropist who is adverse to the gambling industry's stranglehold on the district. Only because he makes his real income from gun-smuggling.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Adam Demos
A football player accused of killing Pearl's brother.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It takes very little to make him explode. Ben was able to harm his good-guy image in court by suggesting that he might be a closet homosexual.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Robert Mammone
Head of both a construction company and an underground drug syndicate.
- Arc Villain: Of series 3
- The Dreaded: Everybody's afraid of him. Maxine tried skipping the country after making one too many mistakes.
- Faux Affably Evil: Darren can act like the nicest guy you've ever met, but it just barely hides his true nature. Several people who cross him end up dead or running scared.
- Karma Houdini: He gets away with everything in the end. Owen Mitchell steps in just as Darren is about to get arrested and points out that his connections allow ASIO to keep an eye out for any homegrown terrorists, making his organised crime syndicate look minor in comparison.
- Knight of Cerebus: Possibly the most dangerous villain seen so far. He runs a drug operation that has influence over several athletic disciplines, would kill his own allies if they jeopardise his business and worst of all he can't be arrested due to being an asset to ASIO.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Andrew Ryan
- Asshole Victim: Between dealing drugs and soliciting sex from an underage girl, it's hard to feel bad for him When Darren has him killed.
- Manipulative Bastard: When Pearl asks him if she can borrow some money to help a friend out, he threatens to kick her out. Pearl apologises and he then coerces her into sex.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Matilda Graham & Jude Hyland
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Genevieve Hegney
- Babies Ever After: After a long and bitter dispute, Janet allows Deborah to have Ashleigh's refrigerated embryo, giving her a chance at having a child of her own.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Subverted. Her request to have Ashleigh's refrigerated embryo is understandable enough, given that Janet is a single mother with two children of her own while Deborah has a husband and can't conceive on her own. Janet's only reason for keeping it was to hold onto one last part of Asheligh, so in a way it's Janet who is the obnoxious in-law.
- Rule of Symbolism: Tony Gilles had earlier pointed out that Deborah's chances of conceiving even with an implanted embryo were remote. Janet helping her anyway is a gesture of kindness.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: John Bach
Janet's estranged father and a sports team manager.
- Parental Abandonment: Janet has trouble forgiving him for walking out on her when she was 17.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 2)Portrayed by: Leeanne Walsman
A barista who works outside the NCC.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Set up as a kindly barista. It's all an act. She's consumed with vengeance and murders innocent people.
- Create Your Own Villain: Janet failed to serve her husband the justice he needed, so he killed himself and Peta decided to share her pain with Janet.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Janet has been looking for her for 2 years, but never realised Ashleigh's killer was right in front of her.
- Gender Misdirection: She has a latent Y-chromosome. It's because of this that forensics initially believed that Janet's killer was a man.
- The Heavy: She killed Ashleigh and plans to murder Janet's children out of vengeance.
- Implacable Man: She believed she would have found satisfaction in killing Janet's partner, but upon seeing her rise above it she decided that there would be no rest until Janet's children were killed as well.
- The Lost Lenore: Peta's husband killed himself years ago. She blames Janet, since Janet didn't bring his abuser to justice.
- Walking Spoiler: Virtually nothing about her character can be revealed without giving away the Series 2 finale.
- Would Hurt a Child: Was willing to kill Janet's children out of spite.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Susie Porter
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Marny Kennedy
- Hidden Depths: She had dreams of being a pianist and is demonstrably talented.
- Ms. Fanservice: Naturally, since she's the girlfriend of a sports star.
- Satellite Love Interest: Deconstructed. She'd resigned herself to being Nate's trophy girlfriend, which backfired hard once he was arrested, as his assets were frozen and Lucy was entirely reliant on him for money.
- Appearances: Janet King (Series 3)Portrayed by: Lauren Clair
A former cycling champion and athletics coach.
- Broken Ace: Originally a cycling champion, she's started relying more and more on performance enhancing drugs to maintain her strength into her forties.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: When Janet suspects that Zoe is seriously ill, Zoe just brushes it off, despite being barely able to breathe or stand.
- Incurable Cough of Death: She takes some under-the-counter supplements to keep herself fit, which gradually poisons her.