Archer is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War and considered one of the three Knight classes along with Saber and Lancer. Despite the name, having skill at archery is not a requirement, simply possession of powerful projectile weapons or special abilities related to projectile weapons will allow a Heroic Spirit to qualify for this class. Class skills include high Magic Resistance and Independent Action, which allows them to go for a time without the mana supply of a Master, this can come in handy for scouting but also means that unruly or disobedient Archers can act against their Master's wishes without threat of running out of mana.
Shared TropesTropes which apply to most members of the class besides the exceptions should go here.
- Always Accurate Attack: About half of the single-target Archer roster have some form of Sure Hit or Ignore Invincibility to pierce Evasion, whether tied to their Noble Phantasmnote or skillsnote — notably, most of these Archers are "free to play" and easily obtainable by diligent players, so Archers tend to be a backup option for an Evasion-piercing squad. Even some AoE Archers like Nikola Tesla and Ishtar join in on the Evasion-piercing action.
- Anti-Magic: From their Class Skill, Magic Resistance.
- Archer Archetype: Surprisingly enough, averted most of the time. Despite the class name, any Heroic Spirits skilled at ranged combat can be summoned as an Archer, so many of them aren't bowmen. (The only hard exception being projectiles that are explicitly spells, like fireballs created by magic). And the diversity of Servants in this class means that the ones who do fit this archetype in terms of personality are actually the minority.
- Critical Hit Class: The Archer class has the second-highest base Star Gathering hidden stat in-game, hovering around 150, letting them absorb more Critical Stars than most other classes (in comparison, the highest are Riders with 200 while the lowest include Berserkers at 10). Most Archers are further defined by their passive Class Skill, Independent Action, which increases their critical hit damage. Molded around this base are a sizeable number of Archers who have more skills to increase their critical damage capacity.
- Damager, Healer, Tank: Notable in this regard - a lot of other Classes tend to have a spread of Servants who can fill a variety of roles (being tank-like, or straight healers, or otherwise supportive, etc). Archers are almost exclusively hard-core damage monsters.
- Long-Range Fighter: Most of the Servants in this class are specialized in ranged-combat but not much in close combat. While there are some who are no slouch in close combat (like Emiya and Arjuna), they are still more effective at a distance. However, range has little bearing in gameplay.
- Non-Indicative Name: The class is called Archer, but really covers all Heroic Spirits skilled at ranged combat. This means there are "Archers" who use guns, or a sling, or fire melee weapons out of portals. Even if they use lightning or telekinesis, if it's not magecraft, the Servant will be placed into Archer instead of Caster. It's lampshaded in Arjuna's Trial Quest, where Mash tells the amnesic Arjuna that just because he has a bow that doesn't automatically make him an Archer, to which he replies that they must know some...rather unique heroes. This was actually explained by Fate/complete material III, as such:The qualifying condition for the Heroic Spirits [of the Archer class] is not attributes, but instead the possession of powerful projectile weapons or special abilities related to projectile weapons. Servants will generally assume that the Noble Phantasm of an Archer-class Servant is their bow, but any projectile weapons, even firearms, can be indicative of an Archer.
- Tactical RockPaperScissors: In terms of the game, Archers have an advantage against Sabers due to Saber's lack of long-range attacks, and a weakness against Lancers due to their high agility. They also have the common strength and weakness against Berserkers, lowered damage dealt to Rulers and are defensively weak to the Demon Pillars.
- Weapon of Choice: Ranged weapons in general.