Main character page can be found here.
A fairly recent tribe who are an offshoot of the Zelandonii, founded by Dalanar, a former member of the Ninth Cave of the Zelandonii. They are known for their skill at flint knapping and making fine stone tools.
Founder and leader of the Lanzadonii. Marthona's ex-husband and Jondalar's father, now married to Jerika. They have a daughter, Joplaya.
- Amicable Exes: With Marthona.
- Chick Magnet: Jondalar inherited his looks and charm from him. However, Dalanar seems to be happy with just his mate, Jerika.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: This apparently runs in his family.
- Good Parents: To his son and daughter. He's also a good father-figure to Echozar.
- Happily Married: To Jerika.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Jerika, who is so small she can walk beneath his outstretched arms without stooping.
- Icy Blue Eyes: He has the same intense, glacier blue eyes as his son.
- The Leader: Of the Lanzadonii, types 'Headstrong' and 'Charismatic'.
- Love Cannot Overcome: Although he loved her, he amicably ended things with his first mate Marthona because they couldn't reconcile their differences. Though it's never explicitly mentioned what went wrong, it's implied she found him overbearing, whilst he felt she didn't really need him around.
- Magnetic Hero: Founded an entirely new tribe with his followers. There's so many of them now, they're thinking of starting up a second cave as well.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: It's hinted that he felt this way about Marthona to an extent. Although Dalanar has no problem at all with strong-willed and self-sufficient women (he's Happily Married to one, after all), he felt that Marthona was so independent and focused on being leader, she didn't really need him.
- Ruling Couple: With Jerika. Though he's officially the leader of the Lanzadonii, it's obvious Jerika has a lot of sway over decisions too and he often seeks her advice.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his son Jondalar.
Dalanar's second mate, daughter of Hochaman and mother of Joplaya. She is implied to be from Asia.
- Adult Fear: She is terrified that her daughter will be injured or even killed in childbirth, due to having very narrow hips, whilst her unborn (half-Clan) child has a larger-than-average skull. Considering the fact that Ayla, who has a half-Clan son, almost died in childbirth herself, and hybrids being known to result in difficult births, Jerika's fears are not unfounded.
- Good Parents: To Joplaya (and by extension, Echozar, her son-in-law).
- Good Stepmother: She is kind and supportive of Jondalar and he in turn respects her.
- Happily Married: To Dalanar.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Dalanar, who is so tall (over 6ft) that she can walk beneath his outstretched arms without stooping.
- Ruling Couple: With Dalanar. Though he's officially the leader of the Lanzadonii, it's obvious she has a lot of sway over decisions too and he often seeks her advice.
Dalanar and Jerika's daughter and the 'close cousin' (actually half-sister) of Jondalar. She is a skilled flint knapper.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Her love for Jondalar. It's probably for the best, considering their close relation...
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Downplayed. She's usually sweet and good-humoured, although she is mentioned as having an air of melancholy around her after realizing her love for Jondalar is hopeless.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Played straight; she's as kind as she is beautiful.
- Big Brother Attraction: She is in love with her older half-brother Jondalar. In her defence, due to the way her culture thinks about reproduction, they are considered 'close cousins' rather than siblings, so she's technically unaware he's her brother. They also weren't initially raised together, with Jondalar coming to live with their father when they both in their early teens (so the Westermarck effect may not have kicked in). That being said, a relationship with him is still considered taboo on account of them being 'close cousins'; Jondalar also does not return her feelings in the slightest.
- Birds of a Feather: She and Jondalar bonded over their shared talent for flint-knapping, with Dalanar teaching them both at the same time.
- Color-Coded Eyes: Her green eyes are a prominent trait. They're considered quite rare and add to her 'exotic' look.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: She refuses to have an abortion even though the birth could kill her (her unborn child is part Clan, with a larger-than-average skull, and she is quite petite). However, she does take contraceptive herbs after her son is born to prevent another pregnancy in case this one is fatal. Also, among her culture, abortion isn't really considered immoral.
- Happily Married: Ends up being this to Echozar, although it's implied that part of her will always love Jondalar and that she's technically 'settling' with Echozar.
- Head-Turning Beauty: She's a strikingly beautiful woman, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful women of the Lanzadonii and Zelandonii.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In regards to Jondalar. She quickly accepts his relationship with Ayla, is genuinely happy for them both and never lets on that her heart has been broken (although Ayla notices).
- Mixed Ancestry: Her father is Caucasian, while her mother is strongly implied to come from East Asia. She's noted by Zelandonii characters to have a slightly 'exotic' look to her.
- Nice Girl: She's very kind and non-judgmental.
- Odd Couple / Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Echozar. She's considered "exotically" beautiful, whilst he's half-Clan and so is considered very unattractive by Cro-Magnon standards.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: She's been waiting for Jondalar to notice her for several years, even when he moved back to the Ninth Cave and left to go on a long journey around Europe. In spite of the fact Jondalar never seems to notice her affections, she still clings to the hope that someday he will. It doesn't work out.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She's described as being incredibly beautiful with fair skin and black hair.
- Romantic Runner-Up: To Ayla, for Jondalar. She doesn't begrudge her for it and they actually become good friends.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: One of the main reasons she marries Echozar. She's not passionately in love with him, but she is fond of him, he treats her well and she knows he deeply loves her.
- Statuesque Stunner: Downplayed. Whilst she's not as tall as Ayla (who's close to 6ft), Joplaya is still considered tall for a woman and is also very beautiful.
- Tragic Dream: Her dream of being in a romantic relationship with Jondalar. He does love her, but as a sister more than anything (and they actually are half-siblings) and never considers her a romantic option. When Jondalar visits with his betrothed Ayla and Joplaya sees how deeply he loves her, she finally accepts that she and Jondalar will never be together and chooses another man.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Jondalar. Which is just as well, seeing as they're actually half-siblings.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: It's implied she never truly gets over her love for Jondalar, though she's happy enough with Echozar.
A half-Clan man adopted by the Lanzadonii, who is in love with Joplaya.
- Boomerang Bigot: Downplayed. He is hostile towards the Clan although he himself had a Clan mother (see Freudian Excuse), but he later stops hating them and makes peace with his half Clan heritage after Ayla, who lived with the Clan for most of her life, explains their beliefs and customs to him.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Joplaya.
- Driven to Suicide: In his backstory, he attempted to kill himself by jumping off a waterfall, but he was found and rescued by Dalanar.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After all the crap he's been through, he gets the girl he loves and has a family, finally finding the acceptance he has longed for all his life.
- Freudian Excuse: He dislikes the Clan because they cursed his mother with death and left her to fend for herself, for giving birth to a supposedly 'deformed' child. He gets over this after Ayla explains about the Clan's ways to him.
- Half-Breed Discrimination: Is often on the receiving end of this, except from the Lanzadonii, who have no problem with it.
- Happily Married: With Joplaya from the fifth book onwards.
- Like a Son to Me: Dalanar and Jerika treat him like a son and he later marries their daughter.
- Odd Couple / Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Joplaya. She's considered "exotically" beautiful, whilst he's half-Clan and so is considered very unattractive by Cro-Magnon standards. Ayla, however, having been raised by the Clan, finds him to be rather handsome.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: He is described as having soulful, deep brown eyes, which are often said to be his best feature. Even Cro-Magnon characters who find him rather ugly agree that he has lovely eyes.
Jerika's father, who is famous for going on an epically long journey all the way from Asia before settling in Europe.
- Cool Old Guy: He's still alive and kicking after walking across two continents, and still travels to Summer Meetings to tell people the stories of his many adventures.
The son of Joplaya and Echozar, grandson of Jerika and Dalanar, and great-grandson of Hochaman. He is born between The Shelters of Stone and The Land of Painted Caves.
- Mixed Ancestry:
- He is a quarter-Neanderthal on his father's side. This was Played for Drama, as Jerika feared Joplaya wouldn't be able to safely give birth to a child of mixed spirits, though she managed to. Bokovan also resembles a Cro-Magnon far more than a Neanderthal.
- He also has a mix of European and East Asian ethnicities, as his mother has an East Asian mother and European father.
- Vague Age: There's a bit of a discrepancy as to how old he is. When Ayla is introduced to him in The Land of Painted Caves, she is told he's just over three years old. Ayla's daughter Jonayla is around five years old at the time. However, in The Shelters of Stone Ayla and Joplaya were both pregnant during their matrimonial; although they weren't necessarily at the same stage of pregnancy, they would have given birth not too far apart from one another, so it's unclear why Jonayla is that much older than Bokovan.