The three (or four) alien, eldritch beings that are more than likely behind all this ruckus. They were an older group of characters K2 had, and as such, may be the oldest part of the Geneverse. "Older than the cold of the earth" indeed.
Tropes they share
- Alpha Bitch/Villain Sue: Yeah. Brother and Sister Dearest act rather catty towards humans. They're also Creatures older than the beginning of time, insufferable geniuses and nothing has killed their actual forms yet. The author just brings them in such a way fans don't realize the Dark Triumvirate are Villain Sues and shows us this is definately not a bad thing.
- Just read this and try to argue they aren't.
- Ambiguously Brown: At first glance, they appear to be brown-skinned...until you realize they're aliens and their skin is actually merely part of their shell.
- Bald of Evil: All three naturally lack hair.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Sister's Brawn, Sibling's Brain and Brother's Beauty. Archivist is Brain, but is also viewed as a Sixth Ranger or as the Beauty.
- Big Bad: They seem so, altough recently, they are more opaque.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When they actually have eyes, anyway.
- Creepy Doll: In this◊ artwork, described as hitting the devide between creepy and cute.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: They are a family and seem to genuinely love each other.
- Half Identical Siblings: Yes.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: What do they even want?!
- Huge Schoolgirl: Even in their human forms, they're massive.
- Hugh Mann: Discussed over here.
- Humanoid Abomination: At least at first.
- Human Outside, Alien Inside: The images shown in their entries.
- The Nick Namer
- Not Quite Dead: They've been reduced to four components by the time Chiasmata comes along
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Brother, Sister, and Sibling Dearest are just what they call each other. Turns out their real names are likely Architect, Artificer, and Arbiter.
- Pointy Ears: All four of them posess these in their human form, a subtle tie-in to their inhuman origins.
- Time Abyss
- Tarot Motifs: XV - The Devil and XXI - The World
- Back from the Dead: The first of the A4 to be fully restored.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: His voice manages to manipulate Bonnie and Clara by pretending to be another victim of the "evil seer", and offering information in exchange for their help.
- Color Coded Emotions: He seems to change colors based on how he's feeling. For example, at the time he angrily arrives here, the swirl above his head is red, but the minute his arm is cut off, it turns green with shame or fear.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Off-Model: It's very subtle. The last time his arms were shown both here, the decoration on them were both present. When he showed up some time later, one of them went missing.
- Oh, Crap!: His voice's reaction when Clara isn't fooled by his smooth talking and threatens to smash it if it doesn't tell them the truth.
- Perpetual Smiler: Smiles nearly all the time, often a...
- Slasher Smile
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Yep.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: He's angry about the fact that his siblings are squabbling more than they're helping keeping the entire place together, that his conscience is spread and that the power doesn't work.
- Exposition Fairy: Man, this 'guy' loves the sound of his own voice! The author has told this was because Archivist's rambles sounded a lot like their own, making it easier to write.
- Loser Son of Loser Dad: A big portion of the cause of Archivist's behavior is the fact Archivist used to be a part of the Triumvirate (but they voted to leave).
- Ludicrous Precision: Due to Archivist being an alien, a large portion of the said dialogue is in seconds instead of (human) terms like years, months, etc.Incorrect. It is not alive. I believe it has been dead for approximately two quadrillion, three hundred and five trillion, forty-three billion, six hundred and fifty-four million, five hundred and twenty-eight thousand, eight hundred and three seconds. The margin of error is one point eight five nine one three seconds, almost intolerably large!
- Motor Mouth:
- Spock Speak
- Tarot Motifs: VIII - Justice and XIV - Temperance
- Uncatty Resemblance: Although Archivist isn't a pet (but likely treated like this by the three), it's elaborated on here.