WARNING! This page contains unmarked spoilers!
This page is still under construction
Soko Kiryu (Soryuu)
The main heroine of the story, Soko recently moved into the area and suffers from dizzyness and fainting spells, likely from the stress and worry of moving. She quickly finds that her normal school life is turned upside-down when her would-be rapist disappears into thin air and someone took his place.
Soko is the Soryu from the family of the East and destined to be the Queen of the Oni. She is the key to the resurrection of the Oni family, but Soko refuses to do so and repeatedly tries to run away from her duty. She ends up falling in love with Akira, the Byakko.
Her designated color is blue.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Takao brainwashes her by using his powers to make her remember her time as Rago and she becomes more violent and bloodthirsty, relishing in resurrecting the Oni and even willingly attacks Akira.
- Child of Two Worlds: Soko is the clone of an Oni, but wishes to be a normal human. Because she is also the reason why the Oni have been resurrected, she feels responsible for this. She repeatedly tries to run away from the Oni, but her sense of responsibility and manipulations by Takao's actions or words, cause her to sway between siding with the humans or the Oni. It tears her up and she often switches sides, since she doesn't think either of them is 100% right, nor that they should fight.
- Cloning Blues: She is the clone of Rago the previous Queen of the Oni tribe and Soryu. At times, Soko questions her worth and thinks that even dying won't stop the resurrection of the Oni, because she could just be cloned again and again.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: As Soryu, her color is designated as blue and is often drawn wearing clothes of that color or her hair being depicted as blue.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Upon being cloned, she consumed the real Soko Kiryu and took her name.
- Fake Memories: All her memories of being Soko Kiryu before moving to the new area are fake, implanted by her when she consumed the real Soko Kiryu.
- Fangs Are Evil: Like all Oni, she sports long, curved canine teeth when in this form, coupled with a small horn.
- Fountain of Youth: She was cloned to the age of 16, on purpose by Takao because 16 was the age Rago was when she got married to Takao.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has a good nature, which contrasts when she hears what Soryu stands for.
- Happily Married: In her previous life as Rago, she was happily married to Takao.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Not to such an extreme, but she does generally side with Akira and the humans, but also often stops him from hurting the Oni and taking up her duty and responsibility as leader of the Oni. Ultimately she cannot fully decide herself, since neither is black or white.
- Horned Humanoid: Like all Oni, has a small, sharp horn on her head that indicates her nature as an Oni.
- Hot Witch: While it's not exactly magic that she performs, her supernatural abilities do count enough.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Soko doesn't want to be Soryu, Rago's clone or an Oni, she just wants a normal life.
- Ill Girl: Depicted as this in the first few chapters, suffering from fainting and spells of dizzyness. It's actually just the side of her that is an Oni that is getting hungry and desiring to feed off of humans, either by taking energy or actually devouring them.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: They show her innocence and dislike of the violent nature of Oni. When she is brainwashed into acting more violent, they go more into Icy Blue Eyes territory.
- Meaningful Name: Her name Soko is written with the Kanji for Blue and Child, hinting at her Soryu nature.
- Ordinary Highschool Student: What she thought she was, until she was given enough proof to show that she was anything but.
- Rapunzel Hair: It reaches down to her waist.
- Signature Hair Decs: Over the course of the story, Soko wears a black scrunchie, a cloth headband and other hair decorations at times. Actually serves a plot at one point, the headband is hiding her Oni horn, when they pretend that she slept with Kai, rendering her a normal human.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Soko's prettiness is remarked on in the first chapter (comparing her to a beautiful doll) and the reason why Kashii wants to make her his girlfriend, even by force.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She is the Queen of the Oni and she falls in love with Akira, whose duty as the Byakko is to kill Oni.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Soryu is stated to be an absolute beauty that could charm any man or woman who laid eyes on her. Her beauty is one reason why Akira was lenient on capturing her before he really fell in love with her, and Soryu's beauty made two humans who were about to be devoured fall into a trance.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Some color illustrations depict her with blue hair, likely to signify her status as Soryu.
Akira Saionji (Byakko)
Akira transfers to Soko's school and takes the place of Kashii, the student who disappears into thin air. He intimidates Soko repeatedly, calling her Soryu and saying she will doom humanity if she is left to live. He can create holograms of himself and uses this to his advantage when possible.
Akira is the Byakko of the family of the West and president of the Saionji corporation. The duty of the Byakko is to kill Oni whenever they appear, as they pose a threat to humans, since they feast off of them. Akira ends up falling in love with Soko and helps her on her journey to find a way to remove her powers as Soryu.
His designated color is white.
- Astral Projection: One of his powers as Byakko is to be able to create an astral projection (a "Shadow") of his body that cannot be harmed and teleport into various locations. While in this condition, his real body is unconscious, leaving him open for an attack.
- BrotherSister Incest: The Saionji family picks his half-sister Mayumi as the ideal woman to have a child with him to secure an heir. Akira is against it, not just because they are related, but because he loves Soko.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: As Byakko, his color is designated as white.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He's a nice enough guy, if he doesn't put duty above all else and tries to kill Soko.
- Jerkass -> Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: He starts off as very intimidating and antagonistic towards Soko, but does reveal his much nicer and gentler nature as the story proceeds.
- Knight Templar: As the story proceeds and more Oni are wandering around, Akira becomes much more action-oriented in dealing with them. Kill them, don't even bother asking questions. Gets worse when he obtains the true power of Byakko and he can kill several Oni at once from afar.
- Say My Name: "SOKO!!"
- Sibling Rivalry: Invoked on purpose by the Saionji family, as the heir is picked by proving themselves to be superior in various categories to be chosen. However, Akira thinks rather fondly of his brother Kai, despite their differences.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Soko, who is Soryu and the leader of the Oni, whom he has to kill as part of his duty as the Byakko.
- Vacuum Mouth: The power of the Byakko, he can kill an Oni by placing his hand on their body (particularly over their heart) and suck the life out of them. The true power of the Byakko upgrades this into being able to send out vacuum spheres that he can throw at Oni and kill them from afar.
- Would Harm A Child: In order to obtain information, Akira tortures an Oni child by painfully draining its energy off and on and says that he'll kill the kid if it doesn't comply. Soko is horrified and stops him.
First known as Takao Kiryu, Soko's college-age brother who died in the explosion that killed him and Soko's parents. However, Takao survived and reveals himself to be an Oni as well, the one who gave life to Soko and is dead-set on having her become Soryu once again and resurrect the Oni tribe.
Takao is the Genbu of the family of the North. Contrary to the Byakko, the Genbu's role has always been to protect the Oni tribe and especially Soryu. He is the one who keeps bringing Soko back, so she can fulfill her duty as Soryu and hates the Byakko.
His designated color is black.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: After he cut his left leg off, some pages show his right leg to be missing...
- An Arm and a Leg: When his left leg gets trapped under a huge boulder, he cuts it off below the knee to free himself.
- Astral Projection: As it turns out, he has been this the entire time. The only way he can wander around and do things is by projecting a hologram-like body of his, hence he cannot be harmed at all.
- Big Bad: Technically, as he is the one who gave life to Soko, so she could become Soryu and resurrect the Oni, which sets off majority of the events in the story.
- Curtains Match the Window: Black eyes coupled with his black hair, fitting with his image color as Genbu.
- Chekhov's Gunman: First appears as Soko's older brother and no more important than her parents, he ends up dying in the explosion that kills them and later resurfaces as "Takao the Genbu" and gaining a much larger role.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: As Genbu, his designated color is black.
- Evil Wears Black: He is almost consistently seen wearing only black clothes.
- Fate Worse than Death: Late in the story, it's revealed that he was given the ultimate punishment that the Suzaku tribe can perform on an Oni: his head was cut off and made to live on for eternity.
- Happily Married: When the Oni tribe originally flourished, he was happily married to Rago.
- High Priest: He was and remains the high priest of the Oni tribe.
- Mind Manipulation: The speciality of the Genbu's powers, including various subcategories of it.
- Only One Name: Took the family name of Kiryu when he posed as Soko's brother, but is otherwise simply known as Takao.
- Stalker with a Crush: Takao loves Soko... or rather, Rago. Akira realizes that this is the reason why Takao doesn't flat out torture Soko into doing his bidding, nor will he allow Keito or anyone else to kill her.
- Take Care of the Kids: Before he dies by Akira's hands, he tells Soko that he entrusts the fate of the Oni tribe to her.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: His appearance fits perfectly and his personality couples this with Tall, Dark, and Snarky.
- The Reveal: He is the Genbu of the story. He is also Keito's father and revealed to have been Rago's husband.
- Walking Spoiler: It is difficult to talk a lot about Takao, without revealing his bigger role in the story.
Keito appears and is revealed to be Rago's little sister. As not being the first-born of the family of the East means she cannot inherit the power of Soryu as long as Soko is alive, she repeatedly tries to kill her. She disliked Soko's hesistant nature and would much rather become Soryu herself, so the resurrection of the Oni tribe would proceed much faster.
Keito is eventually appointed as the new Suzaku of the family of the South and her name is changed to Hiko. The penultimate chapter reveals that Keito is actually not Rago's little sister, but her daughter. This means that she can obtain the power of Soryu easily and does so, effectively becoming the second Soryu in the story.
Her designated color was originally blue but was changed to red when she was appointed as the Suzaku.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Upon first being introduced as part of the Eastern family, her color was blue. After being appointed as the Suzaku, her color changes to red.
- Meaningful Appearance: Black eyes, a hereditary trait, inherited from her father Takao.
- Meaningful Name: When Soko makes her the new Suzaku, she gives her the name Hiko, written with the Kanji for Crimson and Child.
- Only One Name: Is never given any kind of last name, but is merely referred to as Keito and later Hiko.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: She was cloned to the age of 15, because she didn't live to that age originally and Takao wanted to know what she would be like when she got older.
- The Reveal: She isn't Rago's little sister, but her first-born and only daughter.
- Sibling Rivalry: Keito tries to kill Soko, because she cannot inherit the power of Soryu as long as her older sister is alive.
Shinobu SaionjiAkira's blind uncle, who actually has more power than one thinks. Since Akira is still underage, he serves as one of his guides on how to properly run the Saionji company. Shinobu is the actual leader of the hunt for Soryu and won't let anything get in his way to fulfill that goal.
- Evil Uncle: He is dead-set on having Soko killed, going so far as to plan to have her killed after setting up a 'marriage' between her and Akira. He also repeatedly lies to his nephew and was the one who sent a bomb to the Kiryu family.
She originally wanted to have Akira dead, so she can become the new Byakko, but eventually gave up on that plan.
- BrotherSister Incest: Mayumi was chosen to sleep with Akira, to secure an heir and the next Byakko. She's into the idea, knowing what status 'Byakko's Mother' has in the family.
- Improbable Weapon User: She uses coins or stones to throw at opponents like bullets.
- Kissing Siblings: She kisses Akira once, in an attempt to seduce him. Akira doesn't like it.
Akira's older half-brother and Mayumi's brother.
- Improbable Weapon User: His choice of a weapon is a boomerang.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Soko absorbs him to save Akira from her murdering, wayward hand, killing him.
Kai SaionjiAkira's half-brother, younger by a few months.
- Jedi Mind Trick: Pulls one on Soko. He uses this mild form of hypnosis to make Soko think they slept together, making her lose her Oni side and to trick Takao.
- Number Two: Shapes up into this as the story progresses. He takes command of some of Akira's aides, especially when Akira is off using his Shadow to do things.
- Sibling Rivalry: Demanded by the Saionji family. Kai envies Akira, not just for his position as the Byakko.
- Whip It Good: He uses a whip for fighting.
The Kiryu Family
Soko's first fake family and the parents of the real Soko Kiryu, whom Soko devoured upon awakening.
They have been brainwashed into believing that Soko is their real daughter and never find out about the real fate that struck their daughter. Aside from small roles they play in the first two or three chapters, they fade into the background more and more, as the focus remains on Soko and her trying to find out about her actual identity.
Shortly after the begin of the story, they are sent a package with a bomb in it and die in the resulting explosion.
- Fake Memories: The Kiryu family did have a daughter named Soko, but she looked nothing like the current Soko, so Takao implanted false memories so they would think she was their real daughter.
- The Reveal: The big brother Takao? Is actually not the real brother of Soko Kiryu, has also not died during the explosion and reveals himself as simply Takao, the Genbu of the northern family.
- Sacrificial Lion: Get killed in an explosion set up by Akira's uncle, proving how drastic he is in getting rid of Soko.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The mother seems to fulfill this role the few times she is seen.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: They seem to fulfill the typical family roles of the mother being a homemaker, the father working and the brother being the slightly aloof, college-age sibling, and aside from that, we do not know much of them before they die.