Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy (known in Japan as Gokū Gaiden! Yūki no Akashi wa Sì Xīng Qiú; lit. "Goku Sidestory! The Proof of his Courage is the Four-Star Ball") is a TV special that aired during Dragon Ball GT featuring Goku's great great great great grandson, Son Goku Jr., who is being raised by his great great grandmother Pan. Things are good for the two of them until Pan suddenly falls ill, and young Goku comes to the realisation that the only thing that may save her is making a wish to the Dragon Ball, which leads to him taking a cross country trip to the home of his ancestors, which has since become a habitat for various Youkai.
A Hero's Legacy contains examples of:
- Action Survivor: Early on Goku Jr. would often be rescued from dangerous situations by sheer luck or someone else's assistance.
- Bears Are Bad News: Averted, Goku Jr. meets two bears on his quest, but both of them turn out to be friendly.
- Big Brother Mentor: Puck tries to act like one toward Goku Jr., once he stops picking on him.
- Failure Is the Only Option: From the get-go, anyone remotely familiar with the show knows that Goku Jr. isn't going to get the resolution he wants in his quest (not directly, anyway), because he has no idea how the Dragon Balls work and just assumes one will do the trick. The original Goku even points it out at the end, and is surprised Pan never explained how they work. Of course, thematically, getting the Dragon Ball was never really the point.
- Identical Grandson: Goku Jr. Technically, he's Goku's Great Great Great Great Grandson (according to the final episode of GT, anyway; he just calls Pan "grandma" in the special). However, while looking exactly like Goku, he has a completely different personality.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Played for Laughs when two of the forest demons let flirting distract them from their goal.
- Mooning: Done briefly by Goku Jr..
- Older Than They Look: Pan definitely looks old, but nowhere near her actual age of 110-114.
- So Proud of You: Pan tells Goku Jr, how proud she is of him while in the hospital. The original Goku also says this to Goku Jr. when they meet.
- Something Completely Different: Aired shortly after the Baby arc was finished. Minus the presence of Pan and a minor connection to GT's final episode, it really doesn't have the feel of the series.
- Spirit Advisor: The original Goku is briefly this to Goku Jr. after he finds the Dragon Ball.
- This Cannot Be!: Lord Yao says this almost word for word after Goku Jr. beats him.Lord Yao: I am Lord of the Demon's, you are but a child. How...can this be?
- Took a Level in Badass: Goku Jr. becomes braver and stronger by the end of the special. Even managing to become a Super Saiyan.
- Training from Hell
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Pan fears that Goku Jr. may feel this way and blames herself for not being more supportive of him.