Funny: Dragons: Riders of Berk
open/close all folders
How to Start a Dragon Academy
- The beginning of the first episode features the main characters competing by having their dragons do tricks. When it comes to Fishlegs' turn, he just has Meatlug hover in a circle.
Fishlegs: Yes! New personal best!
- Ruffnut and Tuffnut fighting over who gets to go next only for Hiccup to point out, "Guys, same dragon."
- This exchange between Stoick and Gobber:
- This exchange as everyone is lamenting having to send their dragons away.
Fishlegs: Every night before I went to sleep, Meatlug would lick my feet.
Fishlegs: (anguished) Who's going to do that NOW?!
Ruffnut: I volunteer Tuffnut!
Tuffnut: Whatever...what time should I be there?
- Hiccup's first attempt to keep the dragons under control. Disaster Dominoes is too organized a metaphor for the hilarity that ensues.
Hiccup: Oh, everything hurts. *pulls off prosthetic leg* Even this.
- Take a good look at Meatlug just before she's asked to, uh, fertilize Mildew's garden in "How To Start A Dragon Academy." Apparently, nervous dragons can get constipated, too!
- Snotlout's attempt at training his dragon, Hookfang.
Snotlout: DROP THAT, RIGHT NOW! YOU HEAR ME?! [Hookfang grabs Snotlout with his mouth] See? He dropped it.
Snotlout: (still in Hookfang's mouth) Uh, can someone do that chin-scratching thing? Hello? (nervous) You guys still there?
- Gobber tries his hand at being diplomatic. Among his duties are: settling a dispute over a stolen sheep, fixing a boat, and giving his blessing to a newborn baby girl. Being the muscle-bound idiot he is who only knew dragon-slaying, Gobber settles the sheep dispute by giving the two angry farmers weapons of war (which the two farmers use to pummel each other offscreen), fix the boat with iron (which, predictably, sinks as it hits water), and, disgusted by the baby, which is implied to be absolutely hideous, changes its name from "Hildegard" to "Magnus", because he "thought it looked like a 'Magnus'". The best part? It turns out, after Stoick finds out the damage Gobber caused, he's even agreed that the female baby looks like a Magnus!
Stoick: But try telling that to her parents!
- This exchange:
Stoick: Really? Y-you can speak to people with Tact and Sensitivity?Gobber: Oh! I thought thatnote meant clubbing people on the head and asking questions later. But I can give your thing a shot.
- Stoick talks about his day:
Stoick: I was all over the island today. I married the Svenson girl to the Odegard boy at dawn, then to the fields where some kids were tipping over yaks, then back to the newlyweds to settle a domestic dispute, I guess THAT honeymoon's over... Sometimes I wish there were two o' me.Hiccup: Dad, there-there ARE two of you!Stoick: Is that another crack about my weight?!
- Gobber's song when he's happy.
"I've got my axe and I've got my mace, and I love my wife with the ugly face..."
- Hiccup sees Ruffnut kicking Tuffnut sharply and repeatedly in the posterior.
Hiccup: Do you guys always have to fight?Tuffnut: It's okay. I asked her to to that. I was just trying to get the feeling back.Ruffnut: (turning around and bending over) You gonna return the favor, or what?
- Apparently Bucket occasionally needs reminding which animals give what.
- Bucket and Mulch discussing the last big blizzard to hit Berk.
Bucket: It took us a week just to dig Mildew out.Mulch: And the rest of our lives to wonder why we bothered...
- Bucket can predict storms by how tight his bucket hat gets. The tighter the bucket, the worse the storm. When Stoick goes to Gothi for a second opinion, her (nonverbal) response is "What do you think?", while preparing her hut for the storm. When asked how she knew, she replies that she heard Bucket's screaming from her house.
- Most every scene displaying the sheer stupidity of the sheep. Yep, they're played absolutely to type. Special bonus: one of them turns out to be Mildew's current "wife". No wonder he hates dragons!
- Tuffnut insults Snotlout, who grabs him and tries to punch him. But first he has to ask:
Snotlout: You're the guy, right?Tuffnut: (feminine voice) No?
- Hiccup about Berk's seasons:
Hiccup: But it's too early for a storm, it's still Winter. Devastating Winter isn't due for another month!
- Made even better by the fact that he seems to be completely serious in saying it.
- Gobber asking if he looks like a yak, while all on all fours next to a yak.
- Tuffnut's face being so cold he can no longer feel pain, and demonstrating it by slapping himself. Ruffnut complains that this takes all the fun out of it.
- When Hookfang failed to catch Snotlout right after he jumped off. It's even more funny that it was one of the other dragons, instead of a human, that had to inform Hookfang that their rider was falling to their death.
- Tuffnut on thinking.
Tuffnut: I gave up thinking. Never been happier.
- Hiccup is looking at the portraits on Mildew's wall: "Wife...wife...wife.... hmm." The last one, of course, is Fungus... his sheep.
Hiccup: Well, Mildew definitely has a type... [shudders]
- We also have this gem:
Tuffnut: What's fun about that?Astrid: It's not supposed to be fun. It's a Hiccup idea.Hiccup: Exactly. [to Astrid] What?
- Astrid elbowing Mildew in the face.
"My grandfather is frail. He needs his nap."
- She was holding Mildew up while she said that and as soon as Alvin turns away she drops him like a sack of potatoes. So overdue!
- Alvin the Traitorous tells all of the Vikings that his name was earned.
Tuffnut: Alvin? Psh. How did he earn that?
- Even when being held hostage by people who could kill him at any moment, Hiccup still dishes out snark because it's too ingrained in him. There is just something so chuckle-worthy about seeing him looking badass undermining the Outcasts by doing what comes natural to him.
- While helping Stoick choose a dragon, Ruffnut and Tuffnut get into a fight, which their dragons emulate. The two heads each do their half of the Breath Weapon at each other, with predictable results.
- Hiccup tells Stoick to treat his new dragon like a friend.
Stoick: Oh, like me and Gobber.Hiccup: Right, right. Now, what did you do when you first met him?Stoick: *grabs Hiccup in a headlock* That's my wife you're talking to, you one-legged lout!
- Which becomes even more funny once you realize that he met his dragon in a very similar way.
- Toothless has just gotten done hauling Stoick all over the island for the day, and is visibly exhausted. Hiccup is sympathetic to his plight. As he tells Astrid:
Hiccup: That's what it looks like to be ridden by a 400 pound man.
- The fact that Stoick keeps crashing into things probably doesn't help.
- Followed by Toothless having stuffed himself into a corner of the house to avoid Stoick.
- Hiccup apologizing to Toothless for Stoick's bad performance and crashing him.
- Hiccup's constant attempts to give advice getting completely ignored. Eventually he wonders if anyone can even see him.
- Snotlout's brief stint as a dragon salesman, trying to sell Stoick on a Monstrous Nightmare.
Snotlout: They come in an assortment of colors!
- Stoick trying to bond with the Thunderdrum. And when the Thunderdrum tries to bite his hand, Stoick punches him across the academy.
- Hiccup tries to persuade Stoick to get a dragon of his own, but he never says the glaringly obvious reason which he'd already brought up to Astrid, that Stoick is simply too heavy for Toothless. This is a callback to 'Viking for Hire' where Stoick got mad because he thought Hiccup was making a crack at his weight—again.
- Hiccup apologizes to the Thunderdrum for putting a muzzle on him, then mutters to the dragon that they should get a muzzle for his dad.
- The title of the episode could be considered funny. It's just so...straightforward.
- In episode 8, seeing how much of a ditz Hookfang is. It took about five seconds for him to notice Snotlout frantically screaming for him—because he was watching a leaf fall.
- Fishlegs apologizing to a portrait Snotlout and the twins knock off a wall.
- The possible Ship Tease of Ruffnut and Astrid's reactions to the portrait displaying Hiccup as a very buff teenager doing a flex pose, which looks rather ridiculous. Tuffnut's obliviousness just makes it more amusing.
- While he doesn't kicked off the Island to justify what he does in "Dragon Flower" by trying to outright poison and kill the Dragons, Mildew's Karma Houdini status gets subverted right in the last few minutes by being bitten in the ass by a Scaldron, being injected with its venom, then suffers an Ass Shove by Gobber using a very large bellows to suck the poison out. All while the gang is showing obvious amusement at his suffering.
Mildew: Isn't there something smaller you could use?Gobber: ...Probably. *uses bellows anyway*
Tuffnut: Can you believe we're all just standing around, waiting for something to come out of Mildew's butt?
- Also, Tuffnut's gleeful Lampshade Hanging of the situation:
- And this line from Gobber after he finishes extracting the poison:
"I've seen a nadder spine slice through a man's eyeball like a grape. I watched my own arm get devoured by a Monstrous Nightmare. But never, NEVER, have I seen anything so disturbing as that old man's bare behind. (hands urn of poison to Hiccup) Here, take this to your dragons. (walks off) I'm going into the forest to scream."
- Listen closely and you can hear Gobber screaming as Stoick walks into his house.
- Stoick explains that he named his dragon Thornado because he has the power of Thor, the ferocity of a tornado... and he wouldn't answer to anything else.
Stoick: He can be quite stubborn!
- Made funnier with Hiccup's trademark snark: "I can't imagine where he gets it from."
- Hiccup's ending monologue of the episode:
Hiccup: A deadly flower, a venomous sea dragon, and Mildew's butt: three things I never really thought I'd have to deal with in the same day. But I'll do anything for my dragon.
- This part:
Snotlout: You will not believe what I just found!Tuffnut: A severed head?Ruffnut: Our cousin Lars?Tuffnut: Our cousin Lars' severed head?Fishlegs: Lars died?Tuffnut: Who said that?
- After Alvin tells him that his life depends on the Book Of Dragons reaching Alvin, Savage's only response after Alvin walks away is:
Savage: Hate it when he says that.
- Snotlout showing his mastery over commanding Hookfang.
Snotlout: Hookfang, get your butt over here!(Hookfang gives a "What did you say?!" look and flies away)
Heather: Can he flame up on command?Snotlout: He can, but he won't. Pig-headed dragon.(Cue Hookfang breathing a small fire onto his pants)Snotlout: Could you give me a minute? (Runs off to the nearest source of water) Just one minute!
- Then later that episode
- The scene where Tuffnut is showing Heather the ins and outs of a Zippleback. After they accidentally torch a boat, the Tuffnut's gleeful response is priceless.
Tuffnut: Usually we hide until the chief finds us. Then we get in trouble!
- In the beginning of the episode, the Outcasts were contemplating how to get the Book of Dragons from a Gronckle. One of them points out that if they had the book, they could find out how to make the dragon give the book. Savage quickly points out the flaw in that plan.
- Alvin notes that people would say anything to not die, to which Savage quickly agrees.
- Fishlegs and Astrid "communicating".
Fishlegs: [after getting punched in the stomach] Why is it always violence with you?
- Just as funny is what caused her to hit him in the first place: Astrid makes a strange sounding suggestion, and Fishlegs attributes it to her being high on Dragon nip... again. As it has apparently happened before.
- Hiccup, you are never at a loss for words when it comes to dishing an appetizer of snark to Alvin (again):
Alvin: You know, Hiccup, with this book, your knowledge of dragons, and my knowledge of warfare, we could make quite the team. How does that sound?
Hiccup: Uh... Insane? Demented? Delusional? Stupid?
- Fishlegs and Meatlug getting stuck during one of the games.
- Snotlout's SPECTACULAR fail during his turn of the freestyle dragon event.
- "The Iron Split". Ouch.
- Hiccup's final volley to Snotlout (even if it was uncalled for):
"That's it, keep smiling, as your family's winning streak goes up in smoke, just like your rings of deadly fire."
- Tuffnut and Ruffnut continue to be a treasure trove of comedy gold.
Tuffnut: Rock to the face! I love a good rock to the face. (Ruffnut picks up a rock and smacks him in the face, hard.)
- When everything's said and done, the village has (to an extent) learned what a lightning rod is. The metal statue of Thor they built in a misguided attempt to stop the lightning needs to be removed, but Stoick figures it will be safe to leave up as long as they move it somewhere higher. Snotlout chooses the perfect spot: Mildew's front door. If there was ONE case that might actually be a Bolt of Divine Retribution, it's probably that one.
- Bonus points of funny in that it is literally Laser-Guided Karma for the receiver.
- When Hiccup wakes up after being unconscious, the music from the ending of the movie plays until he checks to see if his right leg is still there.
Hiccup: At least I didn't lose another one.
- Lightning is raining down on Berk, destroying and lighting homes ablaze. What do Tuffnut and Ruffnut do? Enjoy the show.
- Ruffnut: I've always liked Thor.
- At the end, the villagers still believe that Thor was angry at something.
Gobber : And until we find out why Thor was angry at the metal, we're all walking on eggshells.
- Also, in the same vein, the end of Astrid's story about her aunt who was cursed by Odin and had to pay him tribute by sailing to the end of the Earth.
Fishlegs: Did it work?Astrid: I don't know. I guess she couldn't find it, because she kept showing up from the opposite direction.
- Fishlegs fudging the "smack a Jorgensen" part of his good luck ritual.
- Also, in the same vein, the end of Astrid's story about her aunt who was cursed by Odin and had to pay him tribute by sailing to the end of the Earth.
- A subtle one after the perches are first built and Hiccup, Stoick, and Gobber are talking about the success at the dinner table. Stoick is about to take a drink, then puts down his tankard saying they should probably move the perch that's over the well. Gobber then gives his tankard the stink-eye, and we go to Hiccup and see Stoick's hand covering Hiccup's mug and gently pulling it away while an oblivious Hiccup keeps talking and trying to get the mug to his mouth.
- From the same scene, Gobber saying that Vikings go before dragons and Toothless turns around with a "What?!" like response.
Gobber: Yeah, I said it! Deal with it!
- Hilarious Call Back to a joke in episode one:
Fishlegs: In the past, I know Thor's enjoyed a sacrifice or two.Ruffnut: Let's sacrifice Tuffnut!Tuffnut: (ponders for a second) Okay. What time should I be there? There better be fire involved.
- From the same scene, Gobber saying that Vikings go before dragons and Toothless turns around with a "What?!" like response.
- Bucket: What does it want? What's it going to do to us? WHY AREN'T YE SLAPPING ME TO SNAP ME OUT OF THIS?!Mulch: Cause I'm scared too, Bucket!
- Dagur's very long Evil Laugh when regaling about the time he almost drowned Hiccup.
- "Okay think like Ruffnut and Tuffnut. (beat) I can't believe I just said that."
- Snotlout's relaxed explanation of a horrible situation.
Snotlout: [casually reclining on a rock and picking at his nails] The Berserkers are hunting down your dragon to use its blood for ink.Everyone: [stares at Snotlout in shock and horror]Snotlout: What? Is that not what's happening?
- Even better, the only person not giving Snotlout a horrified look is Hiccup, who is giving him a Death Glare instead.
- When Dagur is demanding that Stoick and Gobber show him where the dragons are, and they deny having dragons, we get this gem:
Dagur: Do I look stupid to you?Gobber(whispering to Stoick): Trick question, don't answer it.
- During the climax of the episode, Hiccup repeatedly smacks into/knocks over Dagur with his shield.
Hiccup: Back, you fiend, you!you'll not hurt my friend, Dagur! (Immediately slams shield edge into Dagur's face)
- Hiccup's melodramatic acting - especially his "You owe it to your people!" while trying to convince Dagur to leave - is also worth a good laugh.
- Yes, Night Fury saliva has amazing healing properties.
- When Hiccup says this, you get the feeling that it's less about healing properties and more like he just told Toothless to spit in the serum for the hell of it.
- Hiccup snarking despite being surrounded by Outcasts yet again.
- The rescue party. Oh, the rescue party. We have Gobber riding Hookfang, who is constantly lighting himself on fire. And then there's this exchange between Ruffnut and Stoick (again, note they are on Dragons over open ocean):
Ruffnut: I have to got to the bathroom!Stoick: Then you should have gone before we left!Tuffnut: That's what helmets are for!
Alvin: As far as you're concerned, every day's me birthday!
- Hookfang getting Snotlout off Toothless by biting all the way down Snotlout's torso and then throwing the kid in front of Gobber.
- The Running Gag started by Savage giving Alvin a "birthday present" (proving someone from Berk is on the island) with the rest of the Outcasts not knowing if it's Alvin's birthday or not for most of the episode.
- When the kids initially return to Berk, Stoick reveals that the what boat has returned. Tuffnut says something akin to "Why didn't you tell us that before we left?", earning him a seriously stern look from Stoick. Realizing the trouble, he tries to pin the deed on his sister. Twice.
- Gobber's fireproof skivvies.
- When Hiccup is explicitly telling Snoutlout and Astrid not to tell anyone about this, you can already expect that a Gilligan Cut with the entire gang there.
- When Astrid finds out it was Tuffnut who was behind scaring them, she grabs the skeleton hand away from him and repeatedly hits him over the head with it.
Hiccup: Alright alright, break it up you guys. [Astrid regrabs the arm from Ruffnut and hits Tuffnut one last time]Tuffnut: OW!
- When Tuffnut asks Ruffnut for help (since she was in on it as well), she takes the hand from Astrid... and starts hitting Tuffnut as well.
- Snoutlout, Ruff and Tuff dump Johan on a small abandon rock. At the end of the episode, Johan wants 5 minutes alone with them to pay them back for that.
- Everyone throwing anything metal at the smoke dragons. What makes this funny is that they were mostly throwing their weapons, which were way more than should be possible.
- Astrid hanging nonchalantly from Stormfly's mouth when the latter picks her up to save her from a falling anchor. She just looks so relaxed, like it's perfectly normal, and no one bats an eye at it!
- Fishlegs subverting a moment of awesome, after knocking away a smoke dragon trying to take Hiccup's prosthetic and declaring "You will NOT haunt my dreams! (softly) ...because I'll never sleep again."
- When Astrid tries to convince the others to help Hiccup recover the chest, Snotlout Kicks The Dog.
Astrid: Put yourself in his shoes.Snotlout: Shoe.
Snotlout: I hate you.
- And immediately afterwards, when Astrid guilt trips them, there's an immediate Gilligan Cut and Snotlout is wearing the most flat, deadpan expression ever.
- The twins continue to provide comedy gold.
Hiccup: The next time I say that, just slap me in the face.Ruffnut: (eagerly) I'll do it right now.Tuffnut: She will. And she slaps like a guy. It's awesome!
- After the others all tag along, Astrid reminds Hiccup that he's always saying they work better as a team.
- At the very beginning, Gobber is pairing the teens up for sparring. He eventually puts Astrid and Hiccup together, which is particularly funny thanks to how distressed Hiccup and how absolutely ecstatic Astrid look at the idea.
Hiccup: "W-well I-I don't think it's really fair for me to be fighting-" (Astrid aims a kick at his head)
- The return of Baby Magnus.
Tuffnut: That's a baby? Looks like a bundle of sticks, wrapped in bacon.
- Her sheer ugliness makes Meatlug throw up.
- While the camouflaging Changewings are attacking the village, Tuffnut thinks he sees one and tries to tame it in the most hammy way possible:
Tuffnut: I see it! I got this! [approaches what is clearly an ordinary tree] STAY DRAGON! I AM NOW YOUR MASTER!" [puts his hand on the tree, and gives the others the cheesiest thumbs up possible even though nothing is happening]Stoick: ...it's gone, isn't it..?Hiccup: (as though it were the most obvious thing in the world - because it is) Oh, long gone.
- Almost every one of the teenagers gets some snark in at Snotlout at some point.
- As usual, the twins have their moments.
- Being fascinated by a moving spot of light on the ground created by Snotlout, just like a dragon.
Tuffnut : Not as cool as that disappearing shiny thing! You can never catch it!
- Their method to search for the door to Bork's cave. By smashing their head against the hard, solid stone of a cliff's side.
- Being fascinated by a moving spot of light on the ground created by Snotlout, just like a dragon.
- Snotlout and the Changewing. All of it.
- First there are the various ways Snotlout is used as a literal chew toy by the dragon, from being slammed repeatedly against a wall to being used as some sort of fleshy doll by the remarkably dexterous dragon.
- And then Snotlout's reactions to the various rescue attempts from Hookfang and the twins. They all include liberal amount of fire or flammable gas being shot in the general direction of the Changewing, so Snotlout isn't exactly thrilled.
- Fishlegs line after throwing a Outcast overboard.
Fishlegs: That felt really good. ...Is that wrong?
- It's the look of deranged enjoyment on his face that really sells it.
- The exchange between Astrid and the twins:
Astrid: What were you thinking? If that was Toothless, you could have killed him!Tuffnut: Yeah, well, if my chicken had horns, he'd be my yak.Ruffnut: And if I were weak and girly, I'd be my brother.Tuffnut: Yeah! Wait... what?
- Toothless bitchslapping those two Outcasts with his tail.
Live and Let Fly (Flight Club)
- The shield incident. The repeated shield incident. (Specially the latter since it lead to a awkward position between Stoick and Gobber)
Gobber: "Right, I'll... unwind that... and hopefully no one is looking..."
- Fishleg's interogation
Fishlegs: "My name is Fishlegs. I live on the Isle of Berk. I do not know anything about dragons or those who ride them!Gobber: "Why does he keep saying that? He's kinda giving me the willies..."
- Hiccup waking Stoick up and getting a Vader grip for his trouble... and an axe held to his face. Not to mention the implication that this happens a lot.
- Gobber's insensitivity in regards to the ban on flight... and calling Stoick out on it indirectly when discussing Thornado's saddle.
- The twins simply cannot understand the first rule of Flight Club.
- As Fishlegs is passing out new weapons, he gives a mace to a woman. Her husband then offers him a silent "Why?" before getting dragged off.
- Hiccup forgetting to notice the flaw in his plan with calming Meatlug: His foot is metal. Magnetics is one harsh master.
- Hookfang finally listens to a command, unfortunately it was Fishlegs stop command at Meatlug when Hookfang and Snotlout were flying. cue Hookfang stopping on a dime (Actually facing Fishleg with its tail wagging) as Snotlout was send flying before crashing.
- Fishlegs catches up to Hiccup, who's underneath Meatlug. Hiccup is completely nonplussed and tries to have a heart to heart with Fishlegs while hanging upside down, and it's Fishlegs that freaks out.
- After being assigned to bring the dragons to a cave when the gang splits up, Tuffnut immediately asks where the cave is. He reveals that he was kidding but his next line is just golden.
Tuffnut: "Or am I? Heh, even I don't know!"
- Tuffnut overlooking the dragons is just golden in the amount of abuse he suffers. Toothless nonchalantly slaps him into a stalagmite before shooting him down and how his attempt at a scary story doesn't work against them.
Tuffnut: Man, this is one tough cave.
- Ruffnut trying to flee a Monstrous Nightmare but keeps running around back to it, repeatedly.
- The various reactions the others have upon learning Dagur was on the island with them, and Hiccup's attempts to get them to play along and pretend they are here hunting dragons.
- And then Dagur's comment that he and Hiccup have very different definitions of being "alone" on the island as Snoutlout and the others start popping out.
- Even more hilarious when Dagur later reveals he brought an armada with him to the island, meaning he wasn't really alone on the island either!
- Dagur's extremely enthusiastic interactions with Hiccup.
- Dagur's reaction to discovering why Berk hid the dragons...
Hiccup: "[Stoick] was trying to keep the peace between our tribes. So was I."
Dagur: "By making a fool out of me?!"
Hiccup: "You don't really need help with that, Dagur."
- Dagur's comment near the end, especially funny because he kept mocking Hiccup's choice of weapon earlier:
*after Hiccup displays the Swiss Army Weapon nature of his shield*Dagur: "I have got to get me one of those ornate shields!"
- The opener of Stoick, Astrid, Stormfly, Hiccup, and Toothless chasing down Gobber to make him take a bath.
- Becomes a brick joke at the end when they have water again.
- Ruff◊ spinning around to check when Tuff makes a joke about her butt being big. Followed by decking him for good measure.
- The exercise of dragon-to-dragon combat. Astrid is the bad guy for the exercise and supposed to chase down the others. She gets everyone except Hiccup... who hid under Toothless in a dark cave causing her to fly right by. Made even funnier because of the Ironic Echo both have about 'how predictable' the other was.
Hiccup: "She's not going to be too happy about this, is she?"
- The twins' list of demands.
- And Snotlout somehow accomplishing all of them. From two rainbow colored chickens, to a fish that looks like Stoick, to a singing Terrible Terror.
- The fact that Hookfang was on the list to the bunker and Snotlout wasn't.
- Hiccup trying to dissuade Astrid's claim that he was interested in training the Flightmare.
Hiccup: Well, you know Astrid... training dragons isn't the only thing I think about.
Astrid: Are you actually saying that to me with a straight face?
- For those missing the joke, its Ship Tease since she's one of the things he'd think about outside of dragon training.
- Gobber asleep on guard duty, and when woken he accidentally fires a catapult into sheep.
Gobber: Hiccup, slap me in the face. Your dragons are glowing.
- And the reaction to Astrid, Hiccup, and Fishlegs returning home.
- Snotlout seems to do something right for once in his rescue training. He then declares a victory lap, resulting in high speed turns and going underwater. When he gets back up, the straw dummy he rescued loses its head.
Snotlout: Well, at least he didn't get set on fire or anything...
Hookfang proceeds to set the dummy on fire and savagely stomp on it, much to the horror of Snotlout's fellow riders.
- Savage giving Mildew encouragement after Alvin says that he won't kill Mildew that day.
Savage: Trust me, it's better than when he doesn't say it.
- Savage looking for signs of the dragon academy.
Alvin: Well, what do you see?Savage: It's quite dark. And something keeps swinging into my face! *The yaks move out of the way* Oh. Well, that explains it. Another Yak Farm!Alvin: What is it with you people and your Yaks?!
- Toss the Sheep. Its basically Meatlug carrying around a sheep and tossing it out of her mouth towards Fishlegs. And when he doesn't play, she just tosses it a few times around him.
- After Fishlegs made it clear he was not interested in playing Meatlug proceeds to sit in a corner looking sullen. Surprisingly the sheep follows her and sits right next to her looking sullen as well.
- Astrid doesn't believe that using Terrible Terrors as "air mail" (similar to messenger hawks) will work, and says that if Fishlegs and Snotlout meet them at Dragon Island she would kiss Snotlout in the lips. Snotlout shows up. Fortunately for Astrid's dignity, she tells Hiccup to not talk about it and it doesn't happen.
Astrid: "Say it, and those will be the last words you ever speak." [Cracks neck]
Hiccup: *Silent Gulp*
- Ruffnut's argument why for it's Hiccup's fault that she and her brother tagged each other instead of the wild dragons.
"You armed us with paint. Where did you think that was going to go?"
- Hiccup, Astrid and Fishlegs, plus their dragons, on Sunstone Island... or what's left of it. With Toothless and Stormfly hanging on precariously on the rock's side, and their riders dishing out the snark.
Hiccup: Well, I gotta say that the beaches are a bit of a disappointment.
- Ruff and Tuff get air mail from Hiccup calling for reinforcements. They think the Terror is after them and proceed to run away until Snotlout, of all people, realizes it's air mail.
- Snotlout finds the twins pretending to be statues and calls them muttonheads. They proceed to pretend to be statues of muttonheads.
- Fishlegs insisting on fancier names for the various colors used to tag dragons native to specific islands. Ironically, it's the girl (Astrid) insisting on the simpler names.
- Hiccup's response to the fact the Screaming Death is not longer distracted by shiny objects:
Hiccup: So it's bigger and smarter. Not the greatest combination.
- The Running Gag of Snotlout, Ruffnut and Tuffnut failing at setting off traps without getting caught.
- How did Stoick know it was fire weather? Gobber's chin was ruff.
- Tuffnut orders Barf and Belch to free him from a hanging net trap. They end up batting him with their noses like a pair of seals.
- Later, Tuffnut gets into a philosophical discussion with them!
- While searching for Hiccup, Ruffnut gets attacked by two Terrible Terrors who laugh and throw apples at her for their amusement. She throws one back and they shower her in a barrage of apples.
- Ruffnut retracing her steps... one at a time.
- Which makes it even more shocking that it actually works.
- When Snotlout doubts Tuffnut's training of Torch, Tuffnut demonstrates by getting Torch to open his wings... smacking Snotlout into a wagon which then rolls down the ramp to the docks.
- The episode ends with Ruffnut finally disarming the trap, only for it to be sprung again, this time with both of them trapped!
- To which Ruffnut comments, "This is worse than the womb."
- Bucket and Mulch reappear and are as hilarious as ever.
- In one scene a Beserker tries to sucker punch Bucket with a mace to the back of his head. His head being protected by a bucket he doesn't react. When the Berserker notices this, he just throws himself overboard rather than deal with Bucket.
- Stoick lectures Hiccup on leaving a Skrill in the hands of Snotlout and the twins. Immediately after Hiccup says nothing could go wrong, a massive fireball erupts from the Dragon Academy. Cut to the academy where the twins plan on pinning the blame on Snotlout. Snotlout blames them when the others show up.
- Snotlout (And later Mildew) taking a Skrill shock to the noggin, and being reduced to speaking utter gibberish.
Hiccup: "How many times has [Snotlout] been struck by lightning?!"
- Tuffnut translates for Snotlout.
Tuffnut: "Often enough."
- While having the Skrill directly at their tail, Tuffnut suggests taking off all metal in order to not get shocked. However ever their nature Ruffnut suggest putting on more metal, so both pull out their swords aswell.
- Tuff hollowing out a tree as a disguise.
- Tuffnut actually makes some decent jokes, though the irony makes them even funnier.
"How do you get a one-armed Berkian out of a tree? Just wave!"
- Tuffnut fooling both an Outcast guard and Dagur himself that he is a Berserker named Buffnut. He bosses the guard around to reveal top secret information and even composes a poem to please Dagur after he threatened to cut his legs off. He even starts singing a song that makes fun of Berk while knocking Mildew out to prevent him from revealing his identity.
- Tuffnut is sent back to distract the Outcasts and Berserkers after the incident with Dagur threatening to amputate his legs. After Ruffnut's nonchalance, he threatens Ruffnut:
Tuffnut: "My legs are on your head! Not- I mean not... You know what I'm saying. You'll be thinking about these legs if I lose 'em!"
- Throughout part 1, Dagur tossed this one guy overboard, three times! Before the second one, he says this:
Dagur: "Umm, didn't I, throw you overboard?"
Other Guy: "Well I am an excellent swimmer."
- Snotlout beliving he's going to die throughout the first half of the episode.
Tuffnut: Look on the bright side: At least you'll be in eternal paradise.
- Extra funny from the reactions of his fellow riders.
Astrid: So will we.Tuffnut: Is anyone else tired of listening to Snotlout's ghost?
Snotlout: Hey! I'm not dead yet!
Ruffnut: You're dead to us.
"Avenge me! Have lamb for dinner!"
- What actually happened with the signs of death? The Twins.
- Snotlout's "dying" words when confronted by the final death-sign (a mob of sheep):
- Dagur's completely baffled reaction to Fanghook, Gustav and their unorthodox flying style.
Dagur: Who in the name of Thor is that?!
- Snotlout's reaction to Gustav and Fanghook being taken out by Dagur's weapon.
Well, that solves the Gustav problem.
- The title Hiccup and the others come up with for Gustav: "Junior apprentice auxiliary reserve backup replacement rider in training, fourth class."
- Ruffnut is the only one that can get close to the injured scauldron because he likes the smell of the fish oil in her hair.
- Before finding out about the fish oil, Fishlegs thinks the scauldron is sniffing Ruffnut's hair because it reminds the scauldron of his mothers hair. Hiccup and Tuffnut look at him in disbelief.
- While trying to (re)teach Ruffnut how to get Scauldy's trust, one of the tips he gives her is to hold her hand out, and reenacts how he earned Toothless' trust. Fishlegs then presses his nose against his hand—and he had no reason for why he did it.
- For bonus points Toothless perks up when he see's Hiccup hold out his hand then growls at Fishlegs to back off when he takes his place. Toothless is definitely possessive about his rider.
- Snotlout continues to hit on Astrid, much to her annoyance. After hurting him repeatedly after a while, she decides to switch to a different tactic... cue her basically mimicking Snotlout's behavior, creeping him out completely. I think we know why he started going for Ruffnut instead in Dragons 2...
I don't understand women!
- Just to sell the Reverse Psychology, the Romantic Flight theme from the movie is playing in the background.
- And Snotlout is so freaked out that he only has this to say:
- Ruffnut's impression of Hiccup.
Ruffnut (With a slow, nasally voice): Hello nice dragon. You can be my friend. My leg fell off! All of the dragons are my friends!
Hiccup: [offended] I don't sound like that! And P.S. my leg didn't FALL OFF!
- Hiccup and Trader Johan's reaction to their Failed a Spot Check in regards to Meatlug.
- Snotlout is repeatedly paralyzed throughout, relying on Gustav to move him and steer Hookfang. Just when he starts getting his motion back, he's paralyzed again and deathly pale the whole time. Many Amusing Injuries happens to him during this time.
- Johan accosts Hiccup with many, many stories. At the end after dropping him off at his now unfrozen ship, Hiccup and Toothless just fly away mid-story, but to his disappointment.
- Guslout's Jazz hands.
Snotlout: Stop with the hands.
- Hiccup's frustrated rant to his father after Snotlout and Astrid's fight from earlier.
Hiccup: Everything is as right as rain.Stoick: If you say so.Hiccup: I do. I say so... [gets a stressed look on his face] Oh, fine, you win! Snotlout and Astrid are driving me completely insane! They're acting like mental cases! I actually don't know who's worse: Them, or their dragons! I mean, at least with the dragons you can lock 'em in their pens until they behave!Stoick: [completely calm] Feel better?Hiccup: Uh, a little.
- Just before, he tried keeping calm. It didn't end well...
- The three options for dealing with fighting Vikings.
Stoick: Option 1: Give them both axes and let them fight to the end.Hiccup: That seems a little...permanent. What's option 2?Stoick: Give them both maces and let them fight to the end.
- Gobber thinking he was his own aunt.
- Ruff and Tuff actually becoming smarter under the effects of eel pox. Up to including their invention of ice cream.
Gobber: Who would freeze perfectly good yak milk?
- Followed up with Stoick and Gobber going "It will never catch on"
- Snotlout thinking he's some sort of dragon revolutionary firebrand.
- And having trouble with his Terrible Terror biting him on the nose again.
- Look closely, and you even see Thornado rolling his eyes at him!
- Macey. Just... Macey.
Tuffnut: You! (points to Ruffnut) You were always jealous of her. You knew that I loved her more, because I told you every so often, and I wrote it in your room on the wall!
- Dagur and Savage in general. Dagur is even less tolerant of Savage's sniveling Sycophantic Servant ways than Alvin was. And then there's this exchange:
<as Hiccup approaches with a horde of Smokebreath dragons trailing behind him>Dagur: "What is that?!"Savage: "It looks like fog!"
- Dagur's hammy reaction to Hiccup and co. dropping several weight of loose metal on his ship.
Dagur: <catches a spoon in midair> "A spoon? They're dropping spoons? Why are they dropping spoons? What does this mean!? Could this be a spoon of surrender?"<A Smokebreath grabs the spoon out of his hand>Savage: "I... don't think so sir."Dagur: "Oh no..."
- The glare Toothless gives Trader Johann after they discover he brought the Smokebreaths to the island.
- Ruff and Tuff saying goodbye to the baby Thunderdrums.
Ruffnut: This is kinda sad.Tuffnut: Yeah. Reminds me of the time our parents took Sam, our pet yak, out to that farm to live.Ruffnut: Yeah, I would've cried all night,(beat) except for those delicious yak steaks we had that night.Tuffnut: Oooh, nothing better. And to eat them in those soft yak jackets.
- The baby Thunderdrums blasting away the sheep through the entire episode.
- "VIKING FUNERAL!!"
- After Snotlout claims to have captured Alvin the Treacherous while unconscious:
Snotlout: "Unconscious like a fox."Tuffnut: "Uh... That doesn't even make sense to me, and I am foxy like a badger."
- After the Dragon Root and Berserker fiasco in the academy, the Twins reunite with their dragon:
Tuffnut: "Aww, you guys! Thanks for not killing us. Well, thanks for not killing me. Could have done with one less nut, if you know what I'm sayin'."
- The Twins add fuel to an angry mob of Vikings when Gobber is failing to placate the people. They did this because they wanted to scream for no reason.
- Fishlegs and Meatlug escaping the jaws of the Screaming Death by... Meatlug's gassy behind.
- After seeing the Screaming Death destroying Outcast Island, Savage escapes and says "Well, that's my cue."