Darth Vader is a central antagonist and the Series Mascot
of the Star Wars
Franchise. He is *ack* *koff* *snap* *thud*
KSSSHHH KUUUHHH... KSSSHHH KUUUHHH...
Fool. You lack the credentials to spread adequate propaganda concerning me. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith and Supreme Commander of the Galactic Empire. Do not dare oppose me or my Empire, or I will ensure that you meet an appropriate fate
I possess a past life as a Jedi Knight, Anakin Skywalker, serving the Republic. However, a Sith Lord known as Palpatine successfully used my love for my late wife to manipulate me into serving him and the Empire, which resulted in my complete disfigurement into the fearsome yet heavily crippled form standing before you right now. Now known as Darth Vader, I am more machine than man, only a shadow of my former self, possessing great power and Force potential yet unable to achieve the power and goals I once sought out so adamantly.
As Supreme Commander, I answer to no one except my master, the Emperor
. Yet, I do not agree with his methods - he simply seeks out power for his own pleasure, while I desire power and authority simply because I wish to bring peace to this galaxy
. For this reason, I wish to, one day, surpass him and rule as Emperor myself. This is a task easier said than done, as he is far more intelligent and powerful than myself and always finds a way to stay ahead (for example, when I took in Galen Marek as an apprentice
Most of you Terrans know of my exploits from the Battle of Yavin, as depicted in the film A New Hope
and the subsequent events of the Galactic Civil War. During the Battle of Yavin, I was in charge of acquiring the plans to the secret Rebel base on Yavin 4 from Princess Leia Organa, who I now know to be my daughter. We used our latest technological terror, the Death Star, to pressure her into giving us its coordinates. I even defeated my old master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, who had decided to ally himself with the Rebels. Yet, despite my best efforts to compensate for Grand Moff Tarkin's regrettable tactical errors defending the station in battle, the Rebels came out triumphant. But this was not the end.
I took an interest in Luke Skywalker - my son, and another Rebel, who I knew to be alive and well. My master wished to find him too, but only to replace me as a Sith apprentice. Three years after the Battle of Yavin, in The Empire Strikes Back
, Palpatine charged me with finding Luke Skywalker and bringing him before the Empire. Yet, I secretly attempted to have my son join the Dark Side
tutelage; while unsuccessful, our plan had advanced sufficiently to reach the next stage.
Soon, I shall seek out Skywalker again
, and observe the outcome. Perhaps the threat of a second Death Star will be enough to crush the Rebellion and leave Luke with no choice. J. J. Abrams
will continue to explore the events of my home galaxy through film, and while his work will take place after what seems to be my death, some believe that I shall return in some form due to my association with the Star Wars
Now, since you Terrans seem to have high levels of respect for me, you may add tropes to this page below. As my page is yet incomplete, you are free to refine, polish and contribute to it as you please. Be very careful as to not offend me or you will suffer.
KSSSHHH KUUUHHH... KSSSHHH KUUUHHH...
The following tropes are brought to you by the Dark Side of the Force:
- Ace Pilot: Even after being fitted with cybernetics, I retain my expert piloting skills. This was enough for me to bring my Black Squadron to a near-victory during the Battle of Yavin despite being outnumbered.
- Achilles' Heel: Force Lightning fries my prosthetics, and as such, I cannot use it nor can I successfully defend against it. This is one reason why it is so difficult to overthrow my master.
- And I Must Scream: I absolutely detest the cybernetic suit that I wear, as it reduces me from a human being to a mere mechanical instrument. Yet, it remains my only means of staying alive.
- Anti-Villain: As stated above, my intentions are much purer than my master's.
- Archnemesis Dad: Skywalker is foolish enough to view me as his greatest foe rather than his gateway to a life he could only dream of.note
- Artificial Limbs: After losing my right arm to Count Dooku (who I later beheaded in revenge) I then lost three more to Obi-Wan on Mustafar.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Even before joining the Sith Order, as a Jedi I served a general in the Republic Grand Army. Upon becoming my master's apprentice, I became the highest ranking officer in the Empirenote , and barring Palpatine himself, I am the strongest warrior in the Empire.
- Badass: Despite my cybernetics, I retain a large portion of my Force potential and am near-indomitable in combat. They even grant me increased physical strength.
- Badass Baritone: The voice amplifier in my mask produces a very deep, synthetic tone. Although it may strike fear into the hearts of Rebels, I wish to hear my true voice once again. My synthetic voice is that of James Earl Jones, a well-known actor on your planet.
- Badass Cape
- Heartbroken Badass: Padmé's death only increased my internal struggle and, subsequently, made me stronger.
- Handicapped Badass: All my limbs are prosthetic, and I wear a walking life-support system. Despite this, I remain one of the most powerful Force users in the galaxy.
- Bad Boss: I frequently dispose of underlings when they displease me. Some of them have even plotted to overthrow me due to this. However, for any of you Terrans who actually look at my behavior more closely and bother with the Expanded Universe, you will see that I am actually a Benevolent Boss to the Stormtroopers under my command.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: In Shadows of the Empire, when I learn that Prince Xizor was plotting against me, I immediately took the Executor and destroyed his Skyhook. This happened to benefit the Rebels, as he was their enemy as well.
- Bald of Evil: All my hair was burned off on Mustafar.
- Big "NO!": Although I may seem stoic, I tend to have emotional outbursts of this type when faced with great emotional distress, for example upon learning I was the reason for Padmé's death.
- Black Knight
- Born Into Slavery: I was born into slavery, and that is all I will say on the subject.
- Combat Pragmatist: Contrasting with my master who often lets his sadistic tendencies get the better of him, I prefer to deal with my enemies as quickly as I can.
- Cool Helmet: It resembles a Human skull, or human as you spell it on your planet, and also a kabuto, a helmet worn by your samurai order.
- Consummate Liar: I lie when I need to in order to achieve my aims, but I'm quite skilled at it that many easily fall for it. Most notably with Galen Marek, who continued to believe my manipulations of him when I fooled him into thinking I faked his death to hide him from Palpatine.
- Cool Starship: My personal ship - the Executor, the first Star-Dreadnaught of its class - has earned a great deal of respect for its design and size. In your measurements, the ship is 19 kilometers long, and remains among the largest starships ever constructed in any medium.
- Cosmic Plaything: As much of this page can attest, my life has been of continuous misery even before I turned to the Dark Side, and after words, it seems as though something pulling the strings of the universe desires my misery as even death is denied to me when I'm prepared for it.
- Cyborg: Prior to becoming a Sith Lord, I had one prosthetic arm. Then after being nearly burned to death, I received a disproportionate amount of cybernetic implants to ensure I survived.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: I knew exactly what Obi-Wan was planning aboard the Death Star, and it was my decision to deploy my personal fighter squadron when that fool Tarkin refused to deploy all of the fighters on the Death Star that nearly saved it. I also knew that putting Captain Solo and Princess Leia in danger would lure Luke to Bespin, hence my recruitment of Boba Fett to pursue them.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: I had assumed Luke had died along with Padmé herself, hence why I had completely ignored his existence for nineteen years.
- Dark Is Evil: You Terrans may think of me as evil, but I do not quite think of it that way. Palpatine is truly evil, and I have lost much of my morality, but it is too late for me to turn back. I simply wish to use the Dark Side as the means to justify an end.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: Inevitably. The more extreme actions I committed towards preserving peace and saving Padmé, the more I fell to the Dark Side, and the more extreme my acts became, to the point where I even caused Padmé's death in a fit of rage (Her cause of death has brought some confusion; what I have learned is that the faulty medical droid failed to notice the damage I did to the inside of her throat).
- The Dreaded: I am the symbol of fear in The Empire.
- The Dragon: Much to my dismay, I am forced to obey Palpatine's bidding. However, I have had a few Dragons of my own: Galen Marek, Boba Fett and others have directly served as my right-hand man at various points in time.
- Dragon-in-Chief: My master's role having not been established yet, I played this role more clearly to Grand Moff Tarkin during the Battle of Yavin. On the Death Star, the fool outranked me, but I presented the main threat during the battle and proved myself far more competent than him.
- The Starscream: As detailed above, my ultimate plan is to overthrow Palpatine. I have attempted this with Luke, and plan to attempt this again. It must end in success, and I somehow sense that it definitely will.
- Darth Vader Clone: I have apparently exercised enough influence on your people for them to create countless other individuals who exhibit many of my traits - including Doctor Doom, who was known to you even before I was.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Sandpeople view me as a spirit of vengeance, and offer sacrifices in the ruined camp. They even know about the lightsaber.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Oh mother.....I still miss you.
- Everything's Better with Samurai: Perhaps coincidentally, my armor resembles that of those Eastern warriors who fought on your planet hundreds of years ago. In fact, in Soulcalibur IV, such a warrior proved himself a Worthy Opponent to me - Master Swordsman Heishirō Mitsurugi, a "samurai" as you may call him.
- Evil Is Bigger: My cybernetics allow me to tower over most other humans. In your units of measurement, I stand 2.02 meters tall and weigh three-hundred pounds.
- Evil Is Cool: My mere presence has commanded respect from your people, and has also inspired you to create other so-called "evil" beings who attempt to live up to my influence and power. For the trope image, I see you have decided to use a comical image of me, wielding two lightsaber chainsaws and shouting, in Terran slang, "I'M BUTT-SLAPPIN' AWESOME!". Your habits confuse me, to say the least.
- Evil Overlord: Despite the fact that I am not the Emperor, I maintain a position of high command, with many of the Empire's finest serving directly under me.
- Evil Sounds Deep: As a consequence of my mask's vocal amplifier. Even before my transformation, I would speak in a slightly deeper tone after turning to the Dark Side.
- The Faceless: No one but my master knows what I now look like beneath this mask. Apparently, this makes me even more intimidating.
- Finger Poke of Doom: I prefer using Force Grip to off unneeded and incompetent underlings.
- Fountain of Memes: You Terrans take an odd amusement in the things I say. I find this disturbing.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: If I must speak of my past, yes, I was at first nothing more than a child slave on the Wretched Hive known as Tatooine. If not for a chance meeting with a damaged ship, none of you would have ever heard of me.
- Frontline General: Especially during my younger days of the Clone Wars. I still fight alongside my loyal 501st Legion when given the chance.
- Genius Bruiser: While I am a very physically powerful swordsman, I am also a brilliant strategist and was a child prodigy, having built a protocol droid at the age of nine.
- Guest Fighter: In an alternate universe of some sort, I have traveled to your planet and battled mystical warriors (with many of the females sporting indecent and impractical attire) to retrieve the two Soul Swords, Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. My former teacher, Master Yoda, was also present on your planet during this time, as was Galen Marek.
- Handicapped Badass: I'm a better swordsman now than I was on Mustafar, as Obi-Wan could tesify were he not dead. Though what the kriff happened to his body, I still don't know.
- The Heavy: During the Galactic Civil War, I have served a more proactive role than my master. For all intents and purposes, I typically serve as the primary antagonist in most of my appearances.
- Heel-Face Turn: I have heard rumors among your people that, upon encountering Luke again, my fatherly love for him will cause me to turn back to the Light Side and rescue him from Palpatine - as seen in your film Return of the Jedi. Although a perplexing conclusion, I would prefer alternative methods of achieving my goals.
- Hollywood Personality Disorders: according to one of your Terran psychologists, I apparently have something called Borderline Personality Disorder.
- I Lied: To Galen Marek after I revealed The Plan to start a rebellion to divert Palpatine's intentions with a rebellion to get a chance to overthrow him. I told him I did intend to rule the galaxy when he realized my deception, but not with him.
- Ironic Hell: As a young Jedi, I was a passionate man. Emotional, yes. Impulsive, perhaps. I have even been called...immature. My emotions were my guide. Now...I am more machine than man. I can feel nothing...except pain.
- Jerkass: My tendencies to off those who prove themselves a hindrance have cemented me as this in the eyes of many.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: I always stand a narrow line towards the Dark Side, and during the Clone Wars, my fear of losing those closest to me would lead to actions that stood as very extreme compared to the rest of the Jedi, even before I grew desperate enough to embrace the Dark Side.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: When you realize how cutthroat leadership in The Empire is, you would not likely side with many of the officers that end up as my victims. Also, during the Clone Wars, many acts that pushed further towards the Dark Side were against victims earned everything I did to them.
- Large and In Charge: Subverted due to my master outranking me and he's clearly smaller than I am, but I still tower over the majority of the empire.
- Large Ham: Many note that I tend to be rather... theatrical... in my presentation.
- Leitmotif: My official military theme, the "Imperial March", is a very menacing and masterful piece of music.
- Love Makes You Evil: My love Padmé was what tempted me to turn to the Dark Side. Apparently she was so disappointed that she even sang about it.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Somehow, the moment where I revealed this to Luke became one of my most iconic moments among your people. Although I am often misquoted as saying these exact words, I clearly remember saying "No, I am your father".
- Manipulative Bastard: Not as skilled as my master, but I did nonetheless manipulate much of the actions of Galen Mark, though Palpatine was manipulating me in turn.
- Mighty Glacier: While my cybernetics grant me great physical strength, they also hamper my movement, and as such I am not as agile as I was before Mustafar.
- Master Swordsman: I had long established myself as one of the finest lightsaber duelists in the Jedi Order. After Mustafar, I managed to compensate for my lessened Force potential by tempering my anger.
- Morality Pet: During most of my years as a Jedi, I was a far kinder man. This was before my wife's death and Ahsoka's...well one day that story will be told.
- Narm: In my younger years, as portrayed by Hayden Christensen, I tended to emote in bizarre ways that many of you Terrans found laughable. Even shortly after being fitted with my cybernetics, my anguished outburst of "NOOOOOOOOO!" has been a subject of much mockery. I despise your insensitivity.
- Neck Lift: To an unfortunate rebel officer on Leia's ship when I tried to learn the location of the Death Star plans. When I had enough of his lies, I crushed his neck in my grip.
- Never Live It Down: I did not order the usage of the Death Star on Alderaan. Destroying the planet to spite Leia for her deviance was Tarkin's decision. In truth I informed him that his gambit on threatening to destroy the planet wouldn't work, though I concede I didn't have any moral qualms about the plan.
- Obviously Evil: Give it to the Imperial designers to make my armor perfect for an instrument of fear.
- Psychic Strangle: How I frequently dispose of any incompetent subordinates or any officers foolish enough to mock me. I famously gesture while doing so, but I do not need to. Many other Sith, my master more famously, opt for electrocuting them, but I'm unable to as such powers require functioning organic limbs, something I lack.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: How my former master once described me, though I can't say I agree with his definition of "evil."
- Religious Bruiser: I am a two-meter-tall cyborg killing machine, and a faithful disciple of the Dark Side.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: I have no idea what you Terrans mean by a 'Scrappy', but it does appear that fans seem to like my previous self more after that Terrian Filoni showed a far more extensive showing of my past exploits as a Jedi Knight, so I assume it is not a good thing. For that, when I inevitably dethrone my master with my son at my side and take over your world, I will spare his life and reward him greatly.
- Series Mascot: Arguably, I am the most well-known being to have existed in my galaxy among you Terrans.
- Super Prototype: My TIE Advanced X-1, one of the few ships of its kind, which was durable enough to withstand one of my wingmen crashing into it and still operate. I later replaced it with a far more powerful TIE Defender.
- The Stoic: However, I am prone to fits of rage and emotional distress, especially considering my current condition.
- Not So Stoic: When Tarkin realized that Leia had lied about the location of the rebel base, I did take some amusement in telling him that she would never reveal it.
- That Man Is Dead: Anakin Skywalker? That name means nothing to me now.
- Tragic Monster: Some Terran named Joseph Cambpell would have a field day with my biography.
- We Can Rule Together: This was how I attempted to tempt Luke to join me, and join the greater good.
- Weapon of Choice: I wield a red lightsaber, befitting my nature as a Sith Lord.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Apparently my voice sounded very different many times in my life.
- Wrestler in All of Us: I occasionally watch your professional wrestling during my training sessions. During my time in the Soul universe I would sometimes use a Gorilla Press Slam on my weaker opponents.
- What Could Have Been: I am tormented by this in my dreams; possibilities of how great I would have become if not for that fateful duel on Mustafar or my blind willingness to turn to the Dark Side to save Padmé.
- Vader Breath: I have lent my name to this trope, in that my ominous amplified breathing has inspired countless other examples in your works of fiction.
- Villain Protagonist: By your standards, I have been this in materials that have focused on me after my turn to The Dark Side.
- Yandere: I adamantly seek out young Skywalker, for he is my son and my likely gateway to becoming Emperor; during my time as a Jedi, I behaved this way towards Padmé as well. Your association of this trope with young, poorly-behaved adolescent girls from Oriental cartoons highly disgusts me.
- You Are in Command Now: I am the Trope Namer. While I was executing Admiral Ozzel for his blunder which alerted the rebel base on Hoth, ruining the the initial plan for assaulting it, I promoted Captain Piett to admiral in his place
- You Have Failed Me: I am the Trope Namer for this as well. I'm most famous amongst you Terrans for my execution of Admiral Ozzel, but I will not hesitate to execute any other officers for their incompetence. You think this cruel? My master is even less forgiving. I provide failures with a quick death, he takes the chance to make them suffer.
It is... your... destiny... KSSSHHH KUUUHHH...