Kuromajo-san ga Toru!! centers on the misadventures of Chiyoko, a young girl who becomes a Black Witch Apprentice when she accidentally summons the Black Witch Gyubid.Based on a series of children's novels, it was adapted into an anime that started in April 2012.
Kuromajo-san ga Toru provides examples of the following tropes:
- Broken Pedestal: Gyubid becomes disappointed in her old teacher Exonome when she catches him accepting bribes.
- Chekhov's Armory: Gyubid's lesson of the episode...
- Chekhov's Skill: Always comes in handy.
- Cute Witch
- Dark Is Not Evil: Gyubid may be a Black Witch, but she's not evil. She just really loves putting Choco on the spot.
- Dumb Is Good: In one episode, Megu and Choco are tricked into carrying out a ritual to revive a ghost. Choko recognizes the spell and foils her end of the ritual at the last minute, while Megu is saved because she didn't know how to read the kanji for the incantation needed to complete the ritual.
- In-Series Nickname: "Choco" for Chiyoko.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gyubid often plays pranks and torments her student Choco, but she does sincerely care for her safety and comes to the rescue whenever possible. She also sacrifices her freedom to save one of Choco's classmates by casting a forbidden spell, while making sure Chiyoko spends the rest of the day without tears.
- Love Triangle: Ryoutarou and Taiyou both display an obvious crush on Chiyoko and fight over her - unfortunately for them, she's uninterested and a little freaked out by the whole thing.
- Mystical White Hair: Her hair has a slight blue tinge, but Gyubid certainly has this.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to everyone else she knows, Chiyoko is very much a normal girl - besides the obvious.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Gyubid and Kyou Oogata
- Pungeon Master: One of Choco's many classmates, Hayate, is one of these.
- Spirit Advisor: Gyubid and Touka both appear only to Chiyoko unless they choose to take material form. As a result, many characters comment on Chiyoko talking to nothing.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: As a witch, Gyubid has these - partially to indicate her magical powers, and partially to highlight her trickster status.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Gyubid had a crush on Exonome, her old teacher.
- Trickster Mentor: To the bane of Chiyoko, this applies to Gyubid.