Formerly called Toei Douga until 1998. Toei Animation is an anime
company affiliated with the Toei Companynote
and one of the oldest (it can trace its roots back to 1948) and largest animation companies. Toei is responsible for producing a large number of popular and Essential Anime
, including Mazinger Z
, Fist of the North Star
, Dragon Ball
, Sailor Moon
, Pretty Cure
and One Piece
. In other words, it was responsible for defining the Humongous Mecha
, Space Opera
, and Magical Girl
genres as we know them today.
When the studio started in 1956, the studio did mostly Disney-like art films, but based around native Japanese artwork
and some stuff for Rankin/Bass
. Some people like Isao Takahata
(the director of Grave of the Fireflies
), Yoichi Kotabe
(mostly known for doing most of Nintendo
's 2D artwork), Yasuo Otsuka
and Hayao Miyazaki
(Co-Founder of Studio Ghibli
) worked at Toei at this time. However due to the staff members wanting more money
and how the studio was going, many staff members left for other studios like TMS Entertainment
(Namely A-Productions then later Telecom), Nippon Animation
, and Topcraft
(then later Studio Ghibli
They've also done a bit of work on American cartoons
, but those are few and far between after the 1980s ended. They, along with TMS Entertainment
also had a hand behind Anime channel Animax
, as well as the website Daisuki
(the second venture also in partnership with Nihon Ad Systems, Dentsu, Asatsu-DK).
See also: Sei Young
and Dai Won
, two Korean studios whom worked with Toei between the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s.
Major Anime Productions
Western Animation work
Outsourced works (Non-American)
Main StudioToei Animation Philippines (TAP)
- A Channel - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Aikatsu - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Attack on Titan - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Ben-To - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Beyblade: Metal Fury - In-Between Animation
- Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Black Bullet - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Black★Rock Shooter - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Blood-C - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Blood Lad - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- Bodacious Space Pirates - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Btooom! - Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Buddy Complex - Finish & In-Between Animation
- [C] - Control - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Campione! - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter - 2nd Key Animation
- Cross Ange - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- Diamond no Ace - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- Danball Senki - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Eureka Seven AO - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation
- Fairy Tail - In-Between Animation
- From the New World - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Galilei Donna - In-Between Animation, Paint
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Digital Paint
- Girls und Panzer - 2nd Key Animation
- Gundam Build Fighters - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation
- Hamatora - Finish & In-Between Animation
- The Idolmaster - In-Between Animation, Paint
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Key, 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation for the 2012 series and Stardust Crusaders
- Kuroko no Basuke - Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
- Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Little Busters! - 2nd Key Animation, Finish & In-Between Animation Assistance
- Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Magi – Labyrinth of Magic - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- No-Rin - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Digital Paint
- Nobunaga The Fool - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Psycho-Pass - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Robotics;Notes - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo - 2nd Key Animation
- Senran Kagura - 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Digital Paint
- Sket Dance - Finish & In-Between Animation
- Soul Eater Not! 2nd Key & In-Between Animation, Paint
- Squid Girl - Finish & In-Between Animation; second season
- Tokurei Sochi Dantai Stella Jogakuin Kōtō-ka C³-bu - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil - 2nd Key, Finish & In-Between Animation
- Working - Finish & In-Between Animation, second season
Tropes associated with Toei:
- All-CGI Cartoon: A couple, Two of them handled in China (One by Imagi Animation Studios and one in Taiwan by Wang Film Productions (through CGCG)).
- Animation Bump: Happens in any (if not all) of their movies.
- Cash Cow Franchise: IN SPADES, but One Piece, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Transformers, Digimon and Pretty Cure are the most prominent.
- Conspicuous CG: Has been becoming more obvious since 1999 or so.
- Doing It for the Art: The films Toei did during 1958 to 1972.
- Filler: Very often, especially in Dragon Ball Z.
- Limited Animation: Fairly common, due to producing long-running series (and relatively shorter series during those long-runners). The majority of their American projects, too.
- Long Runners: Most of the series mentioned either had several incarnations or were continuously going on.
- Mascot: Pero, the titular character of the company's adaptation of Puss in Boots, serves as their official mascot.
- No Export for You: In recent years, Toei Animation has been quite reluctant to licence its work for foreign translation or rerelease, with Sailor Moon having being hit particularly hard by this for quite a while. After the fate that befell One Piece, you can't really blame them.
- Off Model: A frequent victim of this trope due to the fact that they end up producing incredibly long-running series, mostly at the same time as one another, rotating each around various animation teams of wildly varying quality.