A manga by Mitsuteru Yokoyama turned into a tokusatsu and then an anime, Kamen no Ninja Akakage is the tale of three ninjas during the Warring States period of Japan. They protect Japan from various warlords and their kaiju. No, they don't use giant robots or anything, they use much more inventive methods than that!The three ninja:
- Akakage — Master Swordsman, The Hero, Master of Disguise
- Aokage — Just a Kid, Child Soldier
- Shirokage — The Lancer, Badass Grandpa
Kamen no Ninja Akakage provides examples of the following tropes:
- Anachronism Stew: On purpose; the ninjas fight the monsters using anachronistic technology such as gliders and concealed guns.
- Blade on a Stick: Sometimes used.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu
- Hidden Weapons: Used often.
- In the Name of the Moon: "Akakage sanjou!"
- Macross Missile Massacre: Bomb/missile spamming is frequently used against the kaiju.
- Mask Power: Akakage has the most skills and abilities of the three.
- Power Trio
- Pragmatic Adaptation: The 2001 movie.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Frequently used.