Combining Mecha from Toei that aired on TV Tokyo in 1982. Since shows like this were a dime a dozen in Japan, it unfortunately got overlooked. But elsewhere, including America, where Humongous Mecha shows were still practically unheard of, it got recognition as the vehicle robot of Voltron.Dairugger is a peacekeeping and exploration robot during the days of space exploration. The Terran League decides to explore beyond the galaxy. But the first mission runs into the Galbeston Empire, who decide to attack Earth. Dairugger is sent to defend, but eventually learns that the Galbeston are actually desperate for a new home, as their planet is doomed.Like GoLion, Dairugger XV has been released in its original form on DVD in R1, as ''Armored Fleet Dairugger XV"See also GoLion, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and Super Sentai.
- The Battlestar: The Rugger Guard, the space carrier from which the vehicles launched before combining
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Virtually every single commander working under Teles (Hazar) immediately and laughingly disregards his orders to seek peace with the Earth Fleet; also a case of Too Dumb to Live, as basically every last one of them meets Dairugger's sword. They do this with some sanction, but the viewscreen has barely clicked off when they give the order to attack anyway, usually to some incredulous soldier who basically says "Dude?!"
- Combining Mecha: Two ways! 15 small vehicles could combine into three larger ones, and then if that didn't get the job done, could re-combine into the titular super robot.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: One episode had Galveston try to stop the pilots from forming Dairugger. Of course, they were able to combine anyway...
- Genre Blindness: At least two of the Galveston captains tried to ram Dairugger instead of retreating. Guess how both played out...
- Fighter-Launching Sequence
- Humongous Mecha
- If It Swims, It Flies
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Old School Dog Fight: the air team vehicles got to do a bit of this before the need to form Dairugger arose.
- Rubber-Forehead Aliens: The aliens of Galveston are basically humans with blue skin and red eyes. Keats, leader of the Dairugger Sea Team, and Kirigas, one of the members of the Land Team, are a different shade of blue and have pointy ears.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: Yasuo
- Stock Footage
- Super Robot
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Often averted or subverted.
- Wagon Train to the Stars