Manga: Dash! Yonkuro
Dash! Yonkuro (ダッシュ!四駆郎) is a shonen manga series created by Zaurus Tokuda started in 1987 as a series of comic strips in Coro Coro Comic magazine. The series has a purpose to promote Tamitya's Mini 4WD toyline. It got a 25-episode TV adaptation by Shogakukan Productions Co., Ltd. Both manga and anime didn't get an export to many countries, but the anime series of Dash! Yonkuro was very popular in Italy, Philipines and Malaysia. The story adds knowledge about tips and tricks in modifying and racing with mini 4WD, including track racing and street racing. The mini 4WD trend began and have stayed strong in these few contries after the anime was aired.A young boy named Yonkuro Hinomaru, the owner of a minicar "the Emperor", which is left to him by his deceased father, leads a mini 4wd racing team called "Dash Warriors", consisting of a Five-Man Band. They enter a series of a mini 4WD racing competition. The story follows the Dash Warriors races through the tournament while facing racers from the Death Corp, which has both moral and immoral characters.There's the time where Tokuda serializes Shin Dash! Yonkuro (真 ダッシュ! 四駆郎), a toy tie-in manga that were included in some Mini 4WD car kits. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to the huge popularity of its Spiritual Successor at that time. It was the last Mini 4WD racing manga by Tokuda before he passed away in 2006 due to heart failure.The new manga, titled Hyper Dash! Yonkuro (ハイパーダッシュ!四駆郎), is a sequel to the original manga that was currently written by Hiroyuki Takei (Manga author of Butsu Zone and Shaman King manga series) and started serializing on the Coro Coro Aniki magazine in 2015. The new manga tells the story of the reunited Dash Warriors races against Dark Dominion.Compare Bakusou Kyoudai! Let's & Go!! for a Spiritual Successor.
Dash! Yonkuro provide examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptation Distillation: The TV anime adaptation only adapted up to volume 6 of the manga, which mean it didn't adapt the Black Wind arc. Also, some scenes has been rearranged, changed or removed in the anime.
- Author Avatar: Genta
- Cool Car
- Creator Cameo: Zaurus Tokuda. Heck, even the author voiced himself in the anime.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Some characters in the Death Corp aren't truly bad. They even become friends after races.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Diabolus ex Machina: Episode 16, The Emperor is destroyed by lightning.
- Evil Laugh: Gale
- Foreshadowing: The dream sequence in the very first episode of the anime hints of Yonkuro's father's machine, the Dash-0 Horizon.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Rinko, normally spots an Odango, lets her hair down more and more often.
- Merchandise-Driven: Both the original manga and the TV anime adaptaton are made to promoting Tamiya's Mini 4WD cars.
- Mid-Season Upgrade:
- Yonkuro Hinomaru: Dash-1 Emperor > Dash-01 Super Emperor > Dash-001 Great Emperor > Liberty Emperor
- Dankuro Toda: Dash-2 Burning Sun > Dash-02 Neo Burning Sun
- Shinkuro Minami: Dash-3 Shooting Star
- Kouji "Punkuro" Jimi: Dash-4 Cannonball
- Rinko Sumeragi: Dash-5 Dancing Doll
- Genkuro Hinomaru: Dash-0 Horizon > Horizon Boundless
- Serious Business: Yonkuro treats Mini 4WD racing as it was real racing car.
- Tournament Arc: The Mini 4WD Championship arc is this, before the Black Wind arc takes place.
- Wacky Racing
The Hyper Dash! Yonkuro manga provide examples of the following tropes:
- Breaking the Fellowship: The Dash warrior has been disbanded after Yonkuro is missing prior to the story. Luckily, it doesn't last long.
- Jerkass: Shinkuro Minami again, until it is revealed that he pretends to be such to help Mr. Sumeragi investigating a threats that could destory the entire Mini 4WD racing.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: Mr. Sumeragi made the Hyper Dash machines during his breaks at his workplace. The first person who get one of the new cars is Shinkuro.
- Putting the Band Back Together: Thanks to Akira Omaezaki, the Dash warrior members were reunited.
- Rage Quit: In chapter 2, Killkuro detonate his car during the race out of frustration.
- Retcon: Some events and settings in the Black Wind arc of the original manga, as well as the Shin Dash! Yonkuro Tie-in manga, has been retconned.
- Weaponized Car: Team Dark Dominion's cars have small bomb builts into them. In chapter 2, Killkuro, frustrated that Yonkuro's Emperor has overtaken his own Night Seek Trigger during the race, detonate his own car, causing a explosive inside Sumeragi's workplace (The Tamiya model shop). Luckily Yonkuro and the others escaped it unharmed, but Killkuro also escaped as well.